To do God's will not God's will?

For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of Him who sent me.
John 6:38

In Trinitarianism, who specifically said this? God the Son of course. In Trinity land, God the Son according to his divine nature came down from heaven to planet earth and into the womb of a Jewish virgin. In the mind of Trinitarians, God the Son along with his divine nature came down from heaven. No man came down from heaven; only God the Son came down from heaven.

This is one of many, many verses which demonstrate their utter blindness. They have God the Son saying that He, God the Son, came down from heaven not to do his will but only to do the will of God the Father. God came down from heaven not to do God's will but to do God's will.

Trinity Land: To do God's will not God's will.

But the doctrine of the Trinity insists the one God only has one mind, one will. Yet they interpret John 6:38 to mean God the Son came down from heaven not to do his (God's) will but to do God's will.

So God sent God from heaven to earth not to do God's will but to do God's will.

It would be laughable if not so shamefully pitiful.

Last edited:
But the doctrine of the Trinity insists the one God only has one mind, one will. Yet they interpret John 6:38 to mean God the Son came down from heaven not to do his (God's) will but to do God's will.

Actually CARM says each of the three members of the Trinity has their own will...

Each of the persons is distinct from the other yet identical in essence. In other words, each is fully divine in nature, but each is not the totality of the other persons of the Trinity. Each has a will, loves, and says "I" and "You" when speaking.

So Trinitarians believe there have been THREE wills since eternity past. They will just say those three wills have always been in agreement.

P.S.

@Our Lord's God, are you able to provide an overview of what YOU believe? Here is mine...

For this creation, YHWH God (the only one who transcends all creations) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans (living souls) for his glory where he would reign as a living soul himself. The Scriptures describe how God would accomplish his plan. In an instant, transcendent God (called God the Father) created the supernatural and space-time of this universe and also became immanent as a spirit (called the Spirit of God) and in the form of a living soul (called the Word of God) with a glorious body. God the Father then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God commanded by the Word of God. But whereas God created a human spirit and soul for each of us, God himself as the Word became the human spirit and soul of Jesus. At his conception, Jesus' glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, Jesus' mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.

Feel free to critique my overview, but don't forget to post YOURS. :)

Actually CARM says each of the three members of the Trinity has their own will...

Each of the persons is distinct from the other yet identical in essence. In other words, each is fully divine in nature, but each is not the totality of the other persons of the Trinity. Each has a will, loves, and says "I" and "You" when speaking.

God must be having debates with Himself and His three wills.

So Trinitarians believe there have been THREE wills since eternity past.

Matt Slick does not represent Trinitarianism. Slick's doctrine of the Trinity does not amount to THE doctrine of the Trinity.

However, I am still looking for THE doctrine of the Trinity. I don't know where they are keeping it and they won't tell me.

P.S.

@Our Lord's God, are you able to provide an overview of what YOU believe? Here is mine...

For this creation, YHWH God (the only one who transcends all creations) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans (living souls) for his glory where he would reign as a living soul himself. The Scriptures describe how God would accomplish his plan. In an instant, transcendent God (called God the Father) created the supernatural and space-time of this universe and also became immanent as a spirit (called the Spirit of God) and in the form of a living soul (called the Word of God) with a glorious body. God the Father then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God commanded by the Word of God. But whereas God created a human spirit and soul for each of us, God himself as the Word became the human spirit and soul of Jesus. At his conception, Jesus' glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, Jesus' mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.

Feel free to critique my overview, but don't forget to post YOURS. :)

Last edited:

Matt Slick does not represent Trinitarianism. Slick's doctrine of the Trinity does not amount to THE doctrine of the Trinity.

However, I am still looking for THE doctrine of the Trinity. I don't know where they are keeping it and they won't tell me.
Look at the Athanasian Creed. Its even got anathemas in it.

There are slight differences among various Trinitarian views. So...

I like to quote the Catholic Catechism as THE doctrine of the Trinity.

Since the Catholic Catechism is held by a majority of professing Trinitarians.

If you can do a Google search, you should be able to find it. :)

For example...

Trinitarian Catholic Catechism 475 says "the Church confessed that Christ possesses two wills".

SteveB

Why?
Several years ago I read a rather interesting book by an Orthodox Jewish professor from UC Berkeley.
His name is Daniel Boyarin.
the book is titled-

The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ

In it, he describes at least two members of the Triune God, YHVH were explicitly observable in Genesis 1, and remained so throughout the Jewish bible. In this book he wrote, he says the first sign of the Son, is in Daniel 7, where we read that "one like the Son of Man" came to the Ancient of Days, and to him was given the Kingdom which shall not pass away.

I've been reading the bible for 43 years, and there's no disagreement between Himself, the Son, or the Spirit.
They have one primary task as far as the human race goes--- save us from our sin, redeem, and make us whole.
As for the rest of the cosmos, according to Hebrews 1:2, it appears that sustaining it is in the hands of Jesus.... or more accurately, in the word of his power.

Matt Slick does not represent Trinitarianism.
:ROFLMAO:
I'd be surprised if Matt thinks that he represents trinitarianism.

Slick's doctrine of the Trinity does not amount to THE doctrine of the Trinity.
And what do you base this on.
It's been in the bible since Genesis. So..... 3450 years ago.
If you can't find it, you're not reading.

I will however forewarn you...... you won't find it explained in a nicely wrapped, neat little package.
It's developed throughout the entire bible. And once seen, cannot be missed, or mistook for anything other than the expressly described Triune God, YHVH.

Why?
Several years ago I read a rather interesting book by an Orthodox Jewish professor from UC Berkeley.
His name is Daniel Boyarin.
the book is titled-

The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ

In it, he describes at least two members of the Triune God, YHVH were explicitly observable in Genesis 1, and remained so throughout the Jewish bible. In this book he wrote, he says the first sign of the Son, is in Daniel 7, where we read that "one like the Son of Man" came to the Ancient of Days, and to him was given the Kingdom which shall not pass away.

I've been reading the bible for 43 years, and there's no disagreement between Himself, the Son, or the Spirit.
They have one primary task as far as the human race goes--- save us from our sin, redeem, and make us whole.
As for the rest of the cosmos, according to Hebrews 1:2, it appears that sustaining it is in the hands of Jesus.... or more accurately, in the word of his power.

:ROFLMAO:
I'd be surprised if Matt thinks that he represents trinitarianism.

And what do you base this on.

It's been in the bible since Genesis. So..... 3450 years ago.
If you can't find it, you're not reading.

I will however forewarn you...... you won't find it explained in a nicely wrapped, neat little package.
It's developed throughout the entire bible. And once seen, cannot be missed, or mistook for anything other than the expressly described Triune God, YHVH.

Is God the Son's will different than God the Father's will?

SteveB

The Son said that he came to do the Father's Will.
So, it seems to me that he made a choice, using his own will, to do his Father's Will.

How does this mean that there's no Triune God?

The Son said that he came to do the Father's Will.
So, it seems to me that he made a choice, using his own will, to do his Father's Will.

How does this mean that there's no Triune God?

The Son also said he came not to do his own will.

herman

Actually God does talk to Himself for example at Genesis 1:26, or at Genesis 11:7. Who do you think the "US" is in those verses? And btw, would you be considered crazy since we (as human beings) all talk to ourselves? More to come, I'm out of time right now.

In Him,
herman

SteveB

No.

Please answer my question. Is God the Son's will different than God the Father's will?
I just did.
My will, by choosing to agree with my father's request, does not cease to make my will independent of my father. It simply means that I've chosen to make my own will agree with his request.

In like manner, Jesus did the same.

Actually God does talk to Himself for example at Genesis 1:26, or at Genesis 11:7. Who do you think the "US" is in those verses? And btw, would you be considered crazy since we (as human beings) all talk to ourselves? More to come, I'm out of time right now.

In Him,
herman

So God has 3 wills or one?

In Him,
herman
Many trinitarians(including myself) don't believe the "US" is God talking to Himself. Every other instance in the OT is singular pronouns.

I just did.
My will, by choosing to agree with my father's request, does not cease to make my will independent of my father. It simply means that I've chosen to make my own will agree with his request.

In like manner, Jesus did the same.

How many wills does the Triune God have?

Many trinitarians(including myself) don't believe the "US" is God talking to Himself. Every other instance in the OT is singular pronouns.

🤦‍♂️

YHVH, as 3 distinct persons--- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit-- is ONE God, with 3 distinct purposes/wills, all having chosen to agree with the Father's goal of saving the human race from their sin.

So then you disagree with traditional Trinitarianism.