To pray to Jesus or not to pray to Jesus?

Fred

Stephen called upon God and asked Lord Jesus to receive his spirit.....59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
The passage does not teach Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer as you are claiming. It teaches that Jesus receives our spirit...

Everything is easy to the simple
"God" (theos) does not appear in the Greek text.

Stephen called upon the Lord Jesus.

Yes, that was easy and simple.

Fred

John 16:23
And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

John 16:23
In that day you will not question Me about anything. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you. (NASB)

The confused assertion: The Lord Jesus said that in the future there will be no need to ask Him any more questions. Therefore, in this passage He forbids people to pray to Him.
The biblical response: The context has to do with the apostles not asking the Lord Jesus anymore questions concerning His figurative teachings concerning His resurrection (John 16:18, 30). Their understanding will increase when the Holy Spirit would later be given to them. At that time such questions will no longer be asked.

1. Matthew Henry: They had asked some ignorant questions (as John 9:2), some ambitious questions (as Matthew 18:1), some distrustful ones (as Matthew 19:27), some impertinent ones, (as John 21:21), some curious ones (as Acts 1:6) but after the Spirit was poured out, nothing of all this.
www.studylight.org/com/mhm/view.cgi?bk=42&ch=16
2. W. E. Vine: The Lord did not mean that no prayer must be offered to Him afterwards. They did address Him in prayer, Acts 1:24; 7:59 (John - His Record of Christ, page 154).
3. C. K. Barrett: John's meaning seems to be that in the time when the Holy Spirit is given and guides the believers in all the truth they will no longer ask such questions as, What is the meaning of the 'little while'? of which Jesus speaks (The Gospel According to St. John, Second Edition, page 494).
4. A. W. Pink: But what is meant by "ye shall ask me nothing?" Strangely and deplorably has this been perverted by some. There have been a few who have argued from this verse that we are here forbidden to address Christ, directly, in prayer. But Acts 1:24; 7:59 , to say nothing of many passages in the Epistles, dearly refutes such an error.
www.studylight.org/commentaries/awp/john-16.html
5. And this from (Unitarian) John Schoenheit: In looking at John 16:23, we must remember that John 14:14, 16:23 were both spoken at the Last Supper, perhaps only a very short while apart. The disciples were not confused by the “apparent contradiction,” and we should not be either. The disciples had been asking Jesus many questions, and there was a lot they did not understand. So, for example, they asked, “Where are you going” (John 13:36); “Why am I not able to follow you now” (John 13:37); “How are we able to know the way” (John 14:5); “Show us the Father” (John 14:8); “How is it you will reveal yourself to us and not to the world” (John 14:22); “What is this that he is saying, ‘A little while?’” (John 16:17-18).
Jesus knew the disciples had lots of questions, and carefully navigated his way through them throughout the Last Supper, answering some while not answering others. As he got to the end of the Last Supper, he told his disciples, “In that day you will not ask me anything,” (perhaps Charles William’s translation is clearer: “At that time you will ask me no more questions”). The disciples would not have to ask questions because, for one thing, Jesus said, “I will no longer speak to you in figures of speech, but will tell you plainly of the Father” (John 16:25), plus, after Jesus’ death, resurrection, and ascension, they would understand all the things they had questions about—something that is quite plain in Acts, as we see the once-ignorant and dumbfounded apostles become bold proclaimers of the death, resurrection, and ascension of Christ.
www.revisedenglishversion.com/commentary/John/16