Today's Gospel from John 6: 1-15

mica

Your logic is faulty because it assumes that the only way Jesus could have been literal is if the disciples jumped up and eat him right then and there. They waited for him to reveal exactly how they were to eat his body. The disciples have great respect for Jesus, so they would not have jumped to their own conclusions and done what you said, even if they did take Jesus at his word.

And you are denying what Jesus said by assuming it was symbolic, when Jesus never indicated it was symbolic. In fact he did the opposite.
Nonsense. Just because one speech is symbolic that does not mean every speech is symbolic.

No, I acknowledge that Jesus used symbolic language, but not in this instance.

I agree that some did not understand. But I doubt that was the only reason Jesus used parables. There are also these:

* to make truth relevant and practical
* to captivate people's attention
* to enable his audience to retain his message
* to expose his enemies' wrong motives
* to fulfill prophesy
* to reveal truth
* to conceal truth

This last one is the one you are probably thinking applies to John 6. It might if John 6 were a parable. But it isn't.
* to conceal truth

This last one is the one you are probably thinking applies to John 6. It might if John 6 were a parable. But it isn't.
There are numerous times that His words were concealed from them outside of a parable. It isn't confined to a parable.