Today's Gospel: John 6: 24-35

Our Lord's God

At mass today, Catholics hear John 6:24-35, which is a continuation of the bread of life discourse that started last week, where Jesus feeds the 5000 from the five loaves and two fish. That was food for earthly life. But Jesus now begins talking about food for eternal life. When those where feed by the five loaves come looking for Jesus across the sea, Jesus says: "Amen, amen, I say to you, you are looking for me not because you saw signs but because you ate the loaves and were filled." In other words, they just wanted another free meal. But Jesus tells them "Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you."

They still don't get it, and ask him "What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? What can you do?" which is really uncalled for. They had seen his healing power. They had heard his preaching. There had been signs aplenty. And still they asked for more signs. But Jesus does not condemn them. He continues to explain to them "Amen, amen, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." When Jesus says "life to the world", he is referring to eternal life, whereas the mana in the desert was only for that day and only for earthly life.

When the people say "Sir, give us this bread always" they probably still don't understand the significance of what Jesus just said, and are still thinking about the loaves and fishes they had the day before. So Jesus tries once more to explain to them by saying "I am the bread of life." This is more than "I am the provider of the bread of life." Jesus says he IS the bread of life. What is equivalence entails is what we will get to in next Sunday's readings.

Jesus said his flesh is the bread which descended out of heaven and gives life to the world.

51 I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” 52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57 Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me, he also will live because of me. 58 THIS is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever.”

Tell us when his flesh had come down out of heaven.

LifeIn

Jesus said his flesh is the bread which descended out of heaven and gives life to the world.

51 I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” 52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57 Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me, he also will live because of me. 58 THIS is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever.”

I don't fact-check Jesus. If he said "He who eats my flesh..has eternal life", and "I am the living bread that came down from heaven", I take him at his word.

pilgrim

Jesus is a Divine Person. And in the Eucharist, along with His flesh from Mary, is His soul and divinity that descended from Heaven at the Incarnation.

pilgrim

Nothing divine about a stamped wafer, before or after the magic theatrics of the priest.
The priest is faithfully carrying out Jesus' commandment to "do this in remembrance of Me," so that all may receive the living bread which came down from Heaven.

mica

LifeIn said:
I don't fact-check Jesus. If he said "He who eats my flesh..has eternal life", and "I am the living bread that came down from heaven", I take him at his word.
Youre not fact checking Jesus. Your fact checking your masters. Which are wrong.
what they do now is 'fact check Jesus' against what the RCC teaches. If the RCC teaches something different, then they believe it is Jesus Who got it wrong!

mica

The priest is faithfully carrying out Jesus' commandment to "do this in remembrance of Me," so that all may receive the living bread which came down from Heaven.
no he isn't.

you don't receive 'living bread' in the wafer. One receives Him as their living bread when they're born again.

leonard03782

NO KIDDING!!!!!

MATT 15:
3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
EXODUS 20:
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
DEUTERONOMY 5:
8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:
9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
LEVITICUS 26:
1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.
ACTS 4:
11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
1 TIM 2:

5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Our Lord's God

Jesus is a Divine Person. And in the Eucharist, along with His flesh from Mary, is His soul and divinity that descended from Heaven at the Incarnation.

In John 6, Jesus said his flesh is the bread which came down (past tense) from heaven.

Again, when exactly had this flesh come down out of heaven?