Toward a defintion of Psychikos

Theo1689

I am sorry but you just keep ignoring all that is contrary to your view

1) No, you are not "sorry".

2) Simply quoting Scripture accomplishes nothing. We have read Scripture COUNTLESS times, and none of it contradicts Calvinism. And since you are too lazy to provide any exegesis (or even commentary), your posts are a waste of time.

brightfame52

Frankly I don't know why you keep posting this

You are asuming all are psychikos

and thus no one can understand the gospel

it is contrary to scripture

John 20:31 (KJV 1900)

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

This clearly presupposes the gospel may be understood

2 Timothy 3:15 (KJV 1900)

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

presupposes Holy scriptures may be understood

1 Peter 1:21–25 (KJV 1900)

21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. 22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Man is regenerated through faith in the Gospel

Isaiah 55:11 (KJV 1900)

11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth:

It shall not return unto me void,

But it shall accomplish that which I please,

And it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

God’s word prospers in whatever it is set out to do

Psalm 19:7 (KJV 1900)

7 ………………………The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

Psalm 119:130 (KJV 1900)

130 The entrance of thy words giveth light;

It giveth understanding unto the simple.

Self explanitory

Romans 1:16 (KJV 1900)

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 10:17 (KJV 1900)

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

The word of God brings faith. It must be understood to do so

Do you really imagine that by your interpretation you can falsify 8 verses and contradict the context that verse appears in which shows men believing the gospel and getting saved

You have been ignoring these verse since they first appeared

and I can provide other verses showing faith precedes regeneration as regeneration is new life provides a purified heart and is a spiritual resurrection which have also been ignored
It's no assumption. All men born of a woman are natural men. All men in Adam come in the world a natural man And that being said they don't receive the things of the Spirit of God and can not understand them.

T

TomFL

It's no assumption. All men born of a woman are natural men. All men in Adam come in the world a natural man And that being said they don't receive the things of the Spirit of God and can not understand them.
Of course it is an assumption

Why is it you never address the verses giving showingf the gospel can be understood

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. 22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Self explanitory

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

T

TomFL

That is exactly what it means and nothing going to change that.
Address the verses

Self explanitory

T

TomFL

That is exactly what it means and nothing going to change that.

Self explanitory

Deal with it

T

TomFL

1) No, you are not "sorry".

2) Simply quoting Scripture accomplishes nothing. We have read Scripture COUNTLESS times, and none of it contradicts Calvinism. And since you are too lazy to provide any exegesis (or even commentary), your posts are a waste of time.
What a joke you want to talk about lazy when you will not address a single verse given

LOL

Theo1689

What a joke you want to talk about lazy when you will not address a single verse given

1) What is there to "address"? Calvinists believe ALL Scripture, so exactly what do you want us to "address"?

2) You have demonstrated by your posts that you have no interest in productive discussion, you just want to proclaim yourself "right" and everyone else "wrong". So why should I waste my time responding to you, only for you to ignore it and insult me?

3) You are too lazy to invest time explaining why you think those passages allegedly contradict Calvinism, so why should I waste time investing in responding when it's clearly not important enough to you for YOU to invest time in it?

4) You have demonstrated that (a) you don't understand what Calvinism teaches, and (b) you refuse to accept correction when we tell you what Calvinism teaches. You don't need to accept Calvinism as true, but you DO need to represent it accurately if you're going to criticize it. And since you don't, once again, why should I waste my time?

Theo1689

Address the verses

<sigh>

Okay.
The poster is "demanding" that I respond to his "proof-texts", and so I will waste my time responding to them.

And all the Calvinists said, "Amen!"

Self explanitory

Um, I don't think "explanitory" is a word...
Just sayin'.

Okay, I've responded to them all.

Happy now?

Have a nice day! ;)

T

TomFL

1) What is there to "address"? Calvinists believe ALL Scripture, so exactly what do you want us to "address"?

2) You have demonstrated by your posts that you have no interest in productive discussion, you just want to proclaim yourself "right" and everyone else "wrong". So why should I waste my time responding to you, only for you to ignore it and insult me?

3) You are too lazy to invest time explaining why you think those passages allegedly contradict Calvinism, so why should I waste time investing in responding when it's clearly not important enough to you for YOU to invest time in it?

4) You have demonstrated that (a) you don't understand what Calvinism teaches, and (b) you refuse to accept correction when we tell you what Calvinism teaches. You don't need to accept Calvinism as true, but you DO need to represent it accurately if you're going to criticize it. And since you don't, once again, why should I waste my time?
What is there to address

scripture

self explanatory scripture

Self explanitory

Sketo

and you keep ignoring the fact those in Chapter 1:18b-23 understood and believed the gospel

and you keep ignoring the fact the Corinthians who could not be treated as spiritual understood and believed the gospel
And you keep ignoring that...

The contrast is between “natural” and “spiritual”!

14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Natural person...
G5591 (Strong)
ψυχικός
psuchikos
psoo-khee-kos'

From G5590; sensitive that is, animate (in distinction on the one hand from G4152, which is the higher or renovated nature; and on the other from G5446, which is the lower or bestial nature): - natural, sensual.

the very next verse...

15 The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. - 1 Corinthians 2:14-15

Spiritual Person...
G4152 (Strong)
πνευματικός
pneumatikos
phyoo-mat-ik-os'

From G4151; non-carnal, that is, (humanly) ethereal (as opposed to gross), or (daemoniacally) a spirit (concretely), or (divinely) supernatural, regenerate, religious: - spiritual. Compare G5591.

The contrast is between natural person and spiritual person!

Theo1689

What is there to address

scripture

Okay... Calvinists BELIEVE Scripture.

self explanatory scripture

Well, if you truly believe that, then don't try to claim the Scriptures mean something they don't (which is something you do ALL the time).

Self explanitory

Yeah, I already responded to all those Scriptures.
We believe ALL those Scriptures.
We don't believe your COMMENTARY about those Scriptures.

Have a nice day! ;)

T

TomFL

14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Natural person...
G5591 (Strong)
ψυχικός
psuchikos
psoo-khee-kos'

From G5590; sensitive that is, animate (in distinction on the one hand from G4152, which is the higher or renovated nature; and on the other from G5446, which is the lower or bestial nature): - natural, sensual.

the very next verse...

15 The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. - 1 Corinthians 2:14-15

Spiritual Person...
G4152 (Strong)
πνευματικός
pneumatikos
phyoo-mat-ik-os'

From G4151; non-carnal, that is, (humanly) ethereal (as opposed to gross), or (daemoniacally) a spirit (concretely), or (divinely) supernatural, regenerate, religious: - spiritual. Compare G5591.

<sigh>

Okay.
The poster is "demanding" that I respond to his "proof-texts", and so I will waste my time responding to them.

Um, I don't think "explanitory" is a word...
Just sayin'.

Okay, I've responded to them all.

Happy now?

Have a nice day! ;)
saying amen does nothing to show that theyy are consistent with te idea men cannot believe the gospel

You have not addressed them
i

Theo1689

saying amen does nothing to show that theyy are consistent with te idea men cannot believe the gospel

You have not addressed them
i

They're YOUR "proof-texts".

If YOU think they are "inconsistent" with Calvinism, then YOU need to demonstrate why.
Because as I read them, they are perfectly consistent with my beliefs.

But you are too lazy to do so....
You want me to do all the (time-wasting) work, but you are too lazy to do any yourself.

If you are unable to explain how those passages go against Calvinism, then there is nothing for me to "address".

Theo1689

Address the verses

Already did.
We believe them.

Since you haven't demonstrated that they pose any problem with Calvinism, there is nothing for me to have to "address".

Since you haven't demonstrated that they pose any problem with Calvinism, there is nothing for me to have to "address".

Have a nice day! ;)

T

TomFL

Natural person...
G5591 (Strong)
ψυχικός
psuchikos
psoo-khee-kos'

the very next verse...

Spiritual Person...
G4152 (Strong)
πνευματικός
pneumatikos
phyoo-mat-ik-os'

The contrast is between the spiritual people and the Psychikos

The psychikos cannot receive revelation from the spirit or believe the gospel

those with the spirit may receive revelation from the spirit

Those in 1Co 1:18b-21 can and did understand the gospel

The corinthians who could not be treated as spiritual also understood and believed the gospel

all these scripture show the gospel is understandable

Self explanitory

One must believe and understand the gospel to rteceive the spirit

John 7:38–39 —KJV
“He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)”

Gal. 3:14 —KJV
“That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.”

so no spirit without faith which presupposes understandability

no regeneration without faith in the gospel

1 Pet. 1:18–23 —KJV
“Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”

the gospel not mixed with faith does not profit

Heb. 4:2 —KJV
“For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.”

so you interpretation leaves man unable to be regenerated or to receive the Spirit

as well as contradicts all the verses which show the gospel is understandable

plus a number more I could give

T

TomFL

Already did.
We believe them.

Have a nice day! ;)
Laughable

You failed to show they are consistent with the gospel not being able to be understod

not just say youb agree with them

You left the point untouchedi

Theo1689

Laughable

You failed to show they are consistent with the gospel not being able to be understod

Why would I need to "show" you anything?
You reject anything I say, so responding with substance is a colossal waste of my time.

I simply know that they are consistent.
And you haven't demonstrated otherwise.
So I will go on believing they are consistent.

I'm not sure why you keep harassing me to write you something you and I both know you are going to summarily reject.

Why should I waste my time doing that?
Answer me that?
Why should I waste my time?

not just say youb agree with them

Well, it's the truth.
Would you rather I lied to you?!
You are a very bizarre "Christian" (and I put that in quotes).

You left the point untouchedi

Again, you didn't PROVIDE any "points".
All you did was quote Scripture that is in agreement with my view.

T

TomFL

Why would I need to "show" you anything?
You reject anything I say, so responding with substance is a colossal waste of my time.

I simply know that they are consistent.
And you haven't demonstrated otherwise.
So I will go on believing they are consistent.

I'm not sure why you keep harassing me to write you something you and I both know you are going to summarily reject.

Why should I waste my time doing that?
Answer me that?

Well, it's the truth.
Would you rather I lied to you?!
You are a very bizarre "Christian" (and I put that in quotes).

Again, you didn't PROVIDE any "points".
All you did was quote Scripture that is in agreement with my view.
So this is how you attempt to show those verses are consistent with a belief the gospel is not understandable

Why should i waste my time

great defense you got there (not)

You want me to address your scriptures, present my points and exejete my points
as though the verses were not understandable on their own

and your contribution

why should i waste my time

It would be funny if it wasn't sad