Translation of the BoM, and money digging

Markk

Benjamin Franklin wrote...(Bold mine)

In the Evening after I had received this Letter, I made a Visit to my Second-sighted Friend, and communicated to him the Proposal. When he had read it, he assur’d me, that to his certain Knowledge there is not at this Time so much as one Ounce of Silver or Gold hid under Ground in any Part of this Province, For that the late and present Scarcity of Money had obliged those who were living, and knew where they had formerly hid any, to take it up, and use it in their own necessary Affairs: And as to all the Rest which was buried by Pyrates and others in old Times, who were never like to come for it, he himself had long since dug it all up and applied it to charitable Uses, And this he desired me to publish for general Good. For, as he acquainted me, There are among us great Numbers of honest Artificers and labouring People, who fed with a vain Hope of growing suddenly rich, neglect their Business, almost to the ruining of themselves and Families, and voluntarily endure abundance of Fatigue in a fruitless Search after Imaginary hidden Treasure. They wander thro’ the Woods and Bushes by Day, to discover the Marks and Signs; at Midnight they repair to the hopeful Spot with Spades and Pickaxes; full of Expectation they labour violently, trembling at the same Time in every Joint, thro’ Fear of certain malicious Demons who are said to haunt and guard such Places. At length a mighty hole is dug, and perhaps several Cartloads of Earth thrown out, but alas, no Cag or Iron Pot is found! no Seaman’s Chest cram’d with Spanish Pistoles, or weighty Pieces of Eight! Then they conclude, that thro’ some Mistake in the Procedure, some rash Word spoke, or some Rule of Art neglected, the Guardian Spirit had Power to sink it deeper into the Earth and convey it out of their Reach. Yet when a Man is once thus infatuated, he is so far from being discouraged by ill Success, that he is rather animated to double his Industry, and will try again and again in a Hundred Different Places, in Hopes at last of meeting with some lucky Hit, that shall at once Sufficiently reward him for all his Expence of Time and Labour.

This odd Humour of Digging for Money thro’ a Belief that much has been hid by Pirates formerly frequenting the River, has for several Years been mighty prevalent among us; insomuch that you can hardly walk half a Mile out of Town on any Side, without observing several Pits dug with that Design, and perhaps some lately opened. Men, otherwise of very good Sense, have been drawn into this Practice thro’ an over weening Desire of sudden Wealth, and an easy Credulity of what they so earnestly wish’d might be true. While the rational and almost certain Methods of acquiring Riches by Industry and Frugality are neglected or forgotten. There seems to be some peculiar Charm in the conceit of finding Money; and if the Sands of Schuylkil were so much mixed with small Grains of Gold, that a Man might in a Day’s Time with Care and Application get together to the Value of half a Crown, I make no Question but we should find several People employ’d there, that can with Ease earn Five Shillings a Day at their proper Trades.

Many are the idle Stories told of the private Success of some People, by which others are encouraged to proceed; and the Astrologers, with whom the Country swarms at this Time, are either in the Belief of these things themselves, or find their Advantage in persuading others to believe them; for they are often consulted about the critical Times for Digging, the Methods of laying the Spirit, and the like Whimseys, which renders them very necessary to and very much caress’d by the poor deluded Money-hunters.

There is certainly something very bewitching in the Pursuit after Mines of Gold and Silver, and other valuable Metals; And many have been ruined by it. A Sea Captain of my Acquaintance used to blame the English for envying Spain their Mines of Silver; and too much despising or overlooking the Advantages of their own Industry and Manufactures. For my Part, says he, I esteem the Banks of Newfoundland to be a more valuable Possession than the Mountains of Potosi; and when I have been there on the Fishing Account, have look’d upon every Cod pull’d up into the Vessel as a certain Quantity of Silver Ore, which required only carrying to the next Spanish Port to be coin’d into Pieces of Eight; not to mention the National Profit of fitting out and Employing such a Number of Ships and Seamen. Let honest Peter Buckrum, who has long without Success been a Searcher after hidden Money, reflect on this, and be reclaimed from that unaccountable Folly. Let him consider that every Stitch he takes when he is on his Shop-board, is picking up part of a Grain of Gold that will in a few Days Time amount to a Pistole; And let Faber think the same of every Nail he drives, or every Stroke with his Plain. Such Thoughts may make them industrious, and of consequence in Time they may be Wealthy. But how absurd is it to neglect a certain Profit for such a ridiculous Whimsey: To spend whole Days at the George, in company with an idle Pretender to Astrology, contriving Schemes to discover what was never hidden, and forgetful how carelessly Business is managed at Home in their Absence: To leave their Wives and a warm Bed at Midnight (no matter if it rain, hail, snow or blow a Hurricane, provided that be the critical Hour) and fatigue themselves with the Violent Exercise of Digging for what they shall never find, and perhaps getting a Cold that may cost their Lives, or at least disordering themselves so as to be fit for no Business beside for some Days after. Surely this is nothing less than the most egregious Folly and Madness.

I shall conclude with the Words of my discreet Friend Agricola, of Chester-County, when he gave his Son a Good Plantation, My Son, says he, I give thee now a Valuable Parcel of Land; I assure thee I have found a considerable Quantity of Gold by Digging there; Thee mayst do the same. But thee must carefully observe this. Never to dig more than Plow-deep.

Money Digging, Treasure hunting and seeking...and alike, were common practice in the early years of the new nation. As Ben Franklin, 75 years before Joseph Smith was born wrote.

(Continued)

Money digging often went beyond the personal digging up the land, to an actual profession, where a "Money Digger" would hire their services out to others, to find not only treasures but things like water or ore's.

Many of these money diggers would use folks magic as tools of their trade. Joseph Smith sr. owned a dagger, it was known as the "mars" dagger.

MARS DAGGER
Hyrum Smith inherited this dagger from his father, Joseph Smith Sr. One side of the blade has the seal of Mars, while the other has the sign of the Intelligence of Mars, the Zodiac sign for Scorpio, and the Hebrew letters for Adonai. The word “Adonai” inscribed on the knife was believed to help the wielder locate treasure and the other inscriptions seem to be tied to magical writings by Henry Agrippa, a 16th century occult writer. The dagger is now owned by a private collector and no other known photographs are available.

Also, Oliver Cowdery's father, was a member of a sect, The New Israelites, that used "dowsing" for finding treasures. Dowsing uses vining rod for finding "things." Oliver Cowdery was known as a "dowser."

The LDS church has become more open, after years of being silent, that Joseph jr. was also a money digger, or seeker.

Treasure Seeking​

Joseph Smith’s critics often tried to disparage him by calling him a money digger or a treasure seeker. Rather than deny the charge, Joseph acknowledged in his official history that Josiah Stowell had hired him in 1825 to assist in a treasure-seeking venture in northern Pennsylvania.1 Stowell wanted his help because Joseph was reputed by some of his neighbors to be a “seer”—someone who could look into a special stone and find lost or hidden objects.2
“Seeing” and “seers” were part of the culture in which Joseph Smith grew up. Some people in the early 19th century believed it was possible for gifted individuals to see lost objects by means of material objects such as stones. Joseph Smith and his family, like many around them, accepted these familiar folk practices.
In the 1820s, a fascination with purported Spanish treasure deposits led prospectors like Josiah Stowell to enlist the aid of seers like Joseph in their search for treasure.3 Stowell trusted Joseph, sought his assistance in seeking treasure, and even took his advice to finally give up the hunt. Joseph Smith Sr. considered his son’s ability sacred and hoped he would cease using it to look for earthly treasures.4 As Joseph prepared to translate the Book of Mormon, he was commanded to have nothing further to do with those who sought treasure and instead use his gift to translate and seek revelation.
Though it was not uncommon in Joseph Smith’s time and place to encounter people who claimed to use stones to search for lost or hidden objects, using a seer stone to translate an ancient record was unheard of. God gave Joseph Smith power to translate the Book of Mormon, redirecting Joseph’s use of the seer stone toward work of a spiritual nature. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/history/topics/treasure-seeking?lang=eng

There is so much history on this and it is difficult to cover even a small portion of what is out there on a forum like this. But I will do my best. My goal is to show, one, just how deep the Smith Family was into money digging, and two, how it ties into finding buried golden plates guarded by an angel. And how the seer stone was used in the translation process of the BoM.

Benjamin Franklin wrote...(Bold mine)

Money Digging, Treasure hunting and seeking...and alike, were common practice in the early years of the new nation. As Ben Franklin, 75 years before Joseph Smith was born wrote.

(Continued)
So far, very boring and little evidence of JS and his money digging life.... do I believe he did, yes indeed for Josiah Stowell who after some time told him it was a lost cause... He was hired by Josiah Stowell

Seems JS was very busy doing hard work to be involved with a money digging enterprise... chuckle.

LDS scholar Daniel C. Peterson notes,

n order to pay for their farm, the Smiths were obliged to hire themselves out as day laborers. Throughout the surrounding area, they dug and rocked up wells and cisterns, mowed, harvested, made cider and barrels and chairs and brooms and baskets, taught school, dug for salt, worked as carpenters and domestics, built stone walls and fireplaces, flailed grain, cut and sold cordwood, carted, washed clothes, sold garden produce, painted chairs and oil-cloth coverings, butchered, dug coal, and hauled stone. And, along the way, they produced between one thousand and seven thousand pounds of maple sugar annually. "Laziness" and "indolence" are difficult to detect in the Smith family.
Furthermore, the Smiths produced maple sugar, a difficult and labor-intensive occupation:

Sources document over two dozen kinds of labor the Smiths performed for hire, including digging and rocking up wells, mowing, coopering, constructing cisterns, hunting and trapping, teaching school, providing domestic service, and making split-wood chairs, brooms and baskets. The Smiths also harvested, did modest carpentry work, dug for salt, constructed stone walls and fireplaces, flailed grain, cut and sold cordwood, carted, made cider, and "witched" for water. They sold garden produce, made bee-gums, washed clothes, painted oil-cloth coverings, butchered, dug coal, painted chairs, hauled stone, and made maple syrup and sugar (Research File).
Joseph Jr.'s account suggests honest industry in the face of difficult conditions: "Being in indigent circumstances," he says, "[we] were obliged to labour hard for the support of [our] Large family and . . . it required the exertions of all [family members] that were able to render any assistances" (Jessee 4). The Smith men had a reputation as skilled and diligent workers. William Smith asserted that "whenever the neighbors wanted a good day's work done they knew where they could get a good hand" (Peterson 11). Eight wells in three townships are attributed to the Smiths (Research File). They likely dug and rocked others, including some of the 11 wells dug on the farm of Lemuel Durfee, who lived a little east of Martin Harris. The Smiths did considerable work for this kindly old Quaker; some of their labor served as rent for their farm after it passed into his ownership in December 1825 (Ralph Cator; Lemuel Durfee Farm books).
Father Joseph, Hyrum, and Joseph Jr. were coopers. Coopering was an exacting trade, particularly if the barrel was designed to hold liquid. Dye tubs, barrels, and water and sap buckets were products of the Smiths' cooper shop. They also repaired leaky barrels for neighbors at cidering time (Research File).
Sugaring was another labor-intensive work. William recalls, "To gather the sap and make sugar and molasses from [1,200-1,500 sugar] trees was no lazy job" (Peterson 11). Lucy said they produced an average of "one thousand pounds" (50) of sugar a year. One neighbor reportedly said that the Smiths made 7,000 pounds of sugar one season and won a premium for their effort at the county fair (Brodie 10-11). Many people could make maple syrup, but it required considerable skill to make sugar and particularly good skill, dexterity, and commitment to make high quality sugar.

1. Enders, "Joseph Smith, Sr., Family," 222–223.

Last edited:
Money digging often went beyond the personal digging up the land, to an actual profession, where a "Money Digger" would hire their services out to others, to find not only treasures but things like water or ore's.

Many of these money diggers would use folks magic as tools of their trade. Joseph Smith sr. owned a dagger, it was known as the "mars" dagger.

Also, Oliver Cowdery's father, was a member of a sect, The New Israelites, that used "dowsing" for finding treasures. Dowsing uses vining rod for finding "things." Oliver Cowdery was known as a "dowser."

The LDS church has become more open, after years of being silent, that Joseph jr. was also a money digger, or seeker.

There is so much history on this and it is difficult to cover even a small portion of what is out there on a forum like this. But I will do my best. My goal is to show, one, just how deep the Smith Family was into money digging, and two, how it ties into finding buried golden plates guarded by an angel. And how the seer stone was used in the translation process of the BoM.
Chuckle, we are talking about JS, if you want to go after Oliver Cowdrey, why here?

Nothing new, we all knew he had a seer stone and the Church has it in their possession...

Good luck Markk...

So far, very boring and little evidence of JS and his money digging life.... do I believe he did, yes indeed for Josiah Stowell who after some time told him it was a lost cause... He was hired by Josiah Stowell

Seems JS was very busy doing hard work to be involved with a money digging enterprise... chuckle.

Furthermore, the Smiths produced maple sugar, a difficult and labor-intensive occupation:

Ralf if you read about the Smiths, there were times when they were very focused on the Farm, especially when Alvin was alive. He was a very driven person. After he died the family struggled. Joseph Sr, made some very poor advisements, especially in ginseng...which led to a long struggle to try to keep the farm. Infact, the rented out the farm. The lost the farm because they could not pay the last payment, and Joseph sr. and Joseph jr. were not around in they were out digging for treasure, for a year if I remember correctly, when the farm was reprocessed.

After the farm was taken, they remained on the farm as renters, but had lost much of their motivation for hard work.

We can hopefully get to this in detail.

Chuckle, we are talking about JS, if you want to go after Oliver Cowdrey, why here?
At this point I am laying out a very abridged preface to Joseph's money digging. His associates are an important part of his history, and Oliver is an important link from money digging to the BoM, as is Joesph sr.

Don't you find it interesting that there is a deep history of money digging in both the Smith and Cowdrey families?

Ralf if you read about the Smiths, there were times when they were very focused on the Farm, especially when Alvin was alive. He was a very driven person. After he died the family struggled. Joseph Sr, made some very poor advisements, especially in ginseng...which led to a long struggle to try to keep the farm. Infact, the rented out the farm. The lost the farm because they could not pay the last payment, and Joseph sr. and Joseph jr. were not around in they were out digging for treasure, for a year if I remember correctly, when the farm was reprocessed.
Speculation unless you provide a source....

After the farm was taken, they remained on the farm as renters, but had lost much of their motivation for hard work.

We can hopefully get to this in detail.
Hopefully you will and provide sources and witnesses...

At this point I am laying out a very abridged preface to Joseph's money digging. His associates are an important part of his history, and Oliver is an important link from money digging to the BoM, as is Joesph sr.

Don't you find it interesting that there is a deep history of money digging in both the Smith and Cowdrey families?
All you gave me was Cowdrey not Smith Sr. So again we are looking for seer stone in the hat... money digging I acknowledged by not to the extent you were pushing, I gave evidence of a industrious family, you gave a account of a poor family, Smith Sr. a drinker and lazy.

What did he use this seer stone for Ralf?
Why do you think it was called a seer stone, because that was what it was considered in those days, even the Church to this day calls it a seer stone. What new information have you brought that we don't already know.. please give us something new.

Why do you think it was called a seer stone, because that was what it was considered in those days, even the Church to this day calls it a seer stone. What new information have you brought that we don't already know.. please give us something new.
LOL you are the one denying it Ralf…I have known this for years. But for you this is all new, and another part of LDS history I have helped you find.

LOL you are the one denying it Ralf…I have known this for years. But for you this is all new, and another part of LDS history I have helped you find.
Your twisting in the wind Markk, I read all the materials you have given me mostly... Know nothing about Ben Franklin.
Your clutching at straws by using "this is all new", this I call a person who is not really sure they can prove their own case.

Totally false, you're drifting good buddy, you have nothing and are playing on me as being naive... nice try.

All you gave me was Cowdrey not Smith Sr. So again we are looking for seer stone in the hat... money digging I acknowledged by not to the extent you were pushing, I gave evidence of a industrious family, you gave a account of a poor family, Smith Sr. a drinker and lazy.
Ralf…focus…I wrote they were hard workers when they owned the farm…but history tells that after Alvin died, and Joe sr lost all the money in a ginseng skeem, they resorted to money digging as their main focus. Th e year they lost the farm Joseph sr and jr were off digging for treasures.

You did not read a thing I wrote, and honestly I am not real sure you read anything at all, other that a quick cut and paste. Joe sr. Was a drinker. universalist, and a money digger most of his life…are you denying that?

Totally false, you're drifting good buddy, you have nothing and are playing on me as being naive... nice try.
The back something, anything up Ralf…with you own words…if you have studied like you say you have, type from your heart and relate what you have studied. It should not be that hard.

Last edited:
We all know that Mormons, FAIR in particular, will make excuses for Joseph Smith's lies.
  • Critics of the Church often act as if the stone or Urim and Thummim were a type of "magic translator" that anyone could have looked through. They weren't. Joseph always insisted he was only able to do what he did "by the gift and power of God." It is probable that anyone else examining the stones would have found nothing unusual or different about them.
MOD--Do not link to non-official Mormon websites. In future, just say where the quote comes from.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I was reading over a few things, and I found a reference where Joe sr. Might have also been a downer with the Cowdery’s. But i need to check that out a bit more..only one source so far.

The back something, anything up Ralf…with you own words…if you have studied like you say you have, type from your heart and relate what you have studied. It should not be that hard.
Nope, I look for accuracy and not part speculation which I have seen you do over and over... why would anyone trust you when you refuse to give sources...and by the way, I have used dowsing rods and it works... I dug up the end of each one of my leach fields form the septic tank down to the leach fields..

Before addressing this topic, I first want to paint a picture of the world of Joseph Smith in the early to mid 1800s. It was in many ways completely different then the modern world in which we now live. Practices like dowsing (also known as divining–––the practice of using a rod to find water or ore) was commonplace in that century, and was believed to be scientifically valid, the rod pointing towards the water like a compass points towards magnetic north. (An interesting side note, while certainly not as common now, dowsers are still employed by many farmers today). Seers who used stones to find lost objects were also not uncommon; in fact around the vicinity of the small town of Palmyra at least four people were operating as such. These practices certainly seem extremely strange to us in our day, and it is easy to dismiss them as the superstitions of simple, uneducated country folk. But it was not limited to them. It truly was part of the early modern worldview. For example, Sir Isaac Newton, arguably the greatest scientific mind of all time–––who died 78 years before Joseph Smith was born–––believed in alchemy (that common metals could be transformed to gold or silver). As we can see, if we are to try and understand why Joseph Smith may have done some of the things he did, we need to look at it under a 19th century lens, not our 21st century one.

Joseph Smith and Magic​

August 7, 2015 by Oliver Mullins

Last edited:
Back