Treasury of Merit

balshan

This was brought up by one RC in a recent post. But what does that mean? I looked up Advent and it is not mentioned in that resource.

This was brought up by one RC in a recent post. But what does that mean? I looked up Advent and it is not mentioned in that resource.
The Treasury of the Church is a storehouse of merit that has earned the sacrifice of Christ and the prayers and good works of the Virgin Mary and all the saints. This reservoir of merit is drawn upon and applied to Roman Catholics via the Roman Catholic Church so that their future duration of punishment might be reduced. So, essentially what we have is a system where merit is dispensed through the Roman Catholic sacraments and priesthood.

In Roman Catholicism, the treasury of merit is the super-abundant store of righteousness and good works belonging to Christ, the Virgin Mary, and the saints. The treasury of merit is filled with the merit of Christ and Mary (who were sinless), and the saints, who had more than enough merit to enter heaven themselves—they had earned more spiritual rewards than they needed. This merit is now available to others to “supplement” their own meritorious works.

Last edited:

Thank you but do RCs really believe this? I mean their institution is far from righteous and indulgences are a false claim of the RCC, they do nothing at all.

I mean I have a vague memory of the nuns telling us about it, but my memory is dim and I had forgotten about it.

Pilgrim apparently does.

We know that....but do you think Catholics care about something that is false? Look at all the falsehoods they promote.
I mean I will be surprised if an RC responds to a post started by me, as most aren't brave enough to respond to my posts. But I wonder if they think there leaders over the centuries have drained their imaginery treasury of merit.

The Treasury of the Church is a storehouse of merit that has earned the sacrifice of Christ and the prayers and good works of the Virgin Mary and all the saints.
Um, huh? A storehouse of merit that has earned the sacrifice of Christ, the prayers and good works of the Virgin Mary and all the saints?

Yeah--on Planet CARM maybe. In the real world--the Treasury of Merit refers to the merits Christ won for us and also the merits of Christ present and active in the saints.
This reservoir of merit is drawn upon and applied to Roman Catholics via the Roman Catholic Church so that their future duration of punishment might be reduced.
Are you talking about indulgences here? This is true; based on the merits of Christ and the merits of Christ in the saints, the temporal punishment due sin can be mitigated through indulgences. You got this correct.
So, essentially what we have is a system where merit is dispensed through the Roman Catholic sacraments and priesthood.
In essence, yes. But you make it sound like magic or something when you put it this way. The RCC priests do not exercise another priesthood besides that of Christ. What priesthood do you THINK they exercise if not that of Christ?

In Roman Catholicism, the treasury of merit is the super-abundant store of righteousness and good works belonging to Christ,
Correct
the Virgin Mary, and the saints.
True but misleading. The good works of Mary and the saints are the result of the merits of Christ within them. The works that they do are the works of Christ.
The treasury of merit is filled with the merit of Christ
Correct.
and Mary (who were sinless), and the saints, who had more than enough merit to enter heaven themselves
Incorrect. The merits of Mary and the saints ARE the merits of Christ and visa-versa. They earned nothing on their own. They are nothing on their own.
—they had earned more spiritual rewards than they needed.
Utterly false. Christ merited more than enough rewards. The merits of the saints and Mary ARE the merits of Christ and visa-versa.
This merit is now available to others to “supplement” their own meritorious works.
Utterly false. Their merit does not "supplant" anything. Their merits are the merits of Christ and visa-versa.

See---remember when you said to me that I fail to understand Sola Scriptura? Well, YOU fail to understand Catholicism.

Sure you can quote our documents and sources, but it is clear you do not understand what you are quoting. You see, 4-him, quoting sources does not mean you understand them.

Um, huh? A storehouse of merit that has earned the sacrifice of Christ, the prayers and good works of the Virgin Mary and all the saints?

Yeah--on Planet CARM maybe. In the real world--the Treasury of Merit refers to the merits Christ won for us and also the merits of Christ present and active in the saints.

Are you talking about indulgences here? This is true; based on the merits of Christ and the merits of Christ in the saints, the temporal punishment due sin can be mitigated through indulgences. You got this correct.

In essence, yes. But you make it sound like magic or something when you put it this way. The RCC priests do not exercise another priesthood besides that of Christ. What priesthood do you THINK they exercise if not that of Christ?

Correct

True but misleading. The good works of Mary and the saints are the result of the merits of Christ within them. The works that they do are the works of Christ.

Correct.

Incorrect. The merits of Mary and the saints ARE the merits of Christ and visa-versa. They earned nothing on their own. They are nothing on their own.

Utterly false. Christ merited more than enough rewards. The merits of the saints and Mary ARE the merits of Christ and visa-versa.

Utterly false. Their merit does not "supplant" anything. Their merits are the merits of Christ and visa-versa.

See---remember when you said to me that I fail to understand Sola Scriptura? Well, YOU fail to understand Catholicism.

Sure you can quote our documents and sources, but it is clear you do not understand what you are quoting. You see, 4-him, quoting sources does not mean you understand them.
The only thing utterly false is the unbiblical nonsense called the Treasury of Merits.

I understand the lies promoted by Catholicism. Too bad Catholics are still hoodwinked by this apostate organization.

Pretty much.

Unbiblical nonsense.

Unbiblical nonsense.

Correct

#1475 In the communion of saints, "a perennial link of charity exists between the faithful who have already reached their heavenly home, those who are expiating their sins in purgatory and those who are still pilgrims on earth. Between them there is, too, an abundant exchange of all good things." In this wonderful exchange, the holiness of one profits others, well beyond the harm that the sin of one could cause others. Thus recourse to the communion of saints lets the contrite sinner be more promptly and efficaciously purified of the punishments for sin.
#1476 We also call these spiritual goods of the communion of saints the Church's treasury, which is "not the sum total of the material goods which have accumulated during the course of the centuries. On the contrary the 'treasury of the Church' is the infinite value, which can never be exhausted, which Christ's merits have before God. They were offered so that the whole of mankind could be set free from sin and attain communion with the Father. In Christ, the Redeemer himself, the satisfactions and merits of his Redemption exist and find their efficacy."
#1477 "This treasury includes as well the prayers and good works of the Blessed Virgin Mary. They are truly immense, unfathomable, and even pristine in their value before God. In the treasury, too, are the prayers and good works of all the saints, all those who have followed in the footsteps of Christ the Lord and by his grace have made their lives holy and carried out the mission in the unity of the Mystical Body."

^^^all unbiblical nonsense.^^^
Correct.

Uh, no.
See---remember when you said to me that I fail to understand Sola Scriptura?

You do.
Well, YOU fail to understand Catholicism.

No, I don't. All of this is unbiblical NONSENSE.

The Treasury of the Church is a storehouse of merit that has earned the sacrifice of Christ and the prayers and good works of the Virgin Mary and all the saints. This reservoir of merit is drawn upon and applied to Roman Catholics via the Roman Catholic Church so that their future duration of punishment might be reduced. So, essentially what we have is a system where merit is dispensed through the Roman Catholic sacraments and priesthood.

In Roman Catholicism, the treasury of merit is the super-abundant store of righteousness and good works belonging to Christ, the Virgin Mary, and the saints. The treasury of merit is filled with the merit of Christ and Mary (who were sinless), and the saints, who had more than enough merit to enter heaven themselves—they had earned more spiritual rewards than they needed. This merit is now available to others to “supplement” their own meritorious works.
What a load of...fertilizer. Christ's merits are all we need.

I understand it in terms of the centurion's servant who is healed because of the faith of the Centurian, or the paralytic who was healed and forgiven because of the faith of his friends, or the Canaanite woman who interceded for her daughter, healed by Jesus through the faith of the mother.

I understand it in terms of the centurion's servant who is healed because of the faith of the Centurian,

Not even remotely the same....

No dipping into any treasury to heal anyone.
or the paralytic who was healed and forgiven because of the faith of his friends,

Where in that parable does it say the paralytic didn't have faith?

or the Canaanite woman who interceded for her daughter, healed by Jesus through the faith of the mother.

No dipping into any treasury to so....

Yes, non Catholics are on the same page with each other that nothing you posted supports the lie of purgatory. It's made up nonsense from the pits of hell that denies the sufficiency of the cross and has you atoning for sins there.
If you plug your ears and babble blah, blah, blah when giving biblical and sound reasons by a catholic, then yeah I quess you are all on the same page.

Back