Trinitarian confusion at Romans 9:5

I was quoting his remarks, so I've at least got that much right. My point was that his explanations seem to relate everything to number of people. Do you know of an exception?

Which is also why the "Rule" could only sort of work with the full-blown Trinitarian presupposition that the members of the Trinity are all "persons".

Then by changing the AV Bible texts, the Sharp purpose, the ultra-Trinitarian can try to prove that the person of God the Son is also the person of God (the Father). Wait, then it proves too much, and we are in Sabellianism.

The irony is that the ultra-Trinitarians close their eyes to the irony.

The only question I have is whether you are suggesting that the text I quoted for Mark 5:37 is ungrammatical.
No, not at all. I just noted the variant.

" because Sharp defined the rule and wrote it to exclude what didn't fit
Because they fall under the umbrella of an altogether different rule of grammar. Salamo Glassius noted the same rule with virtually the same exceptions (if you parse the wording correctly) back in the 1640s in his Sacred Philology:

Whenever an article is added emphatically to the first word, it includes all other additional epithets, and shows that there is a conversation about the same subject. (Quandoque articulus emphatice prime voci additus, reliqua omnia epitheta adjecta includit, & de eodem subjecto sermonem esse ostendit.)​
I can apply that rule consistently in the GNT. Wordsworth and Middleton began as critics but ended up reversing course. Winstanley attempted also, but was forced to admit there were no exceptions anywhere else in the GNT.

I've seen arguments were various individuals have crafted rules that can't be applied with any consistency in the GNT--and even places where it would break numerous other constructions. But I don't see that with Sharp.
I was quoting his remarks, so I've at least got that much right.
I didn't mean to say you misquoted him. I meant that some of Sharp's exceptions are noted after the rule and its examples have been stated.

I was only trying to demonstrate how inconsistent many are in their application of the rules. (And how strained some of the justifications can be, e.g. ὁ θεὸς καὶ σωτήρ is only ever used for one person in the literature.)
I don't really agree that it is inconsistent. But I will note that Sharp was writing not as a grammarian but directed his arguments against the Socinians and Unitarians. I wrote what I believe a simplistic overview of the rules would be, and in my experience they will all neatly fall under those classes. If you note an exception that falls outside those classes that I listed, it would be of interest. So I think the "exceptions" can be overstated.

I've already stated that direct address does not have any effect on the grammar contrary to what is stated in Sharp's rule 3 (as you've listed it above).
As I wrote above, the exceptions are written into Sharp's rule:

Except distinct and different actions are intended to be attributed to one and the same person; in which case, if the sentence is not expressed agreeably to the three first rules, but appears as an exception to this sixth rule, or even the first, (for, this exception relates to both rules,) the context most explain or point out plainly the person to whom the two nouns relate: as in I Thess. iii. 6 . . . And also in John, xx. 28 . . . If the two nouns (viz. ὁ κύριός and ὁ θεός μου) . . . were the leading nominative substantives of a sentence, they would express the descriptive qualities or dignities of two distinct persons, according to the sixth rule; but, in this last text, two distinct divine characters are applied to one person only ; for, the context clearly expresses to whom the words were addressed by Thomas... (Remarks..., pp. 15, 16)​
I'm going to jump around relative to the remarks I quoted above, so please bear with me. I don't know what all you mean when you refer to "John" as an author who "deliberately breaks the rules," but there are two immediate concerns.
I don't find the grammar in the Gospel of John to be rule breaking. The situation is quite different if Revelation.
I didn't mean in these cases (e.g. John 20:28). Particularly, some points in Revelation which is what you noted also. It seems we are in agreement. My point was only that sometimes the rules are broken for a reason. I apologize for the confusion.

I've already stated that direct address does not have any effect on the grammar contrary to what is stated in Sharp's rule 3 (as you've listed it above). That's why John 20:28 can have a TSKTS construction of direct address with a single referent, and Against Aristocrates (Demosthenes Speech 23.132) can have a TSKTS construction that does the same thing without the direct address. "ἡγούμενον ὡς μὲν ὑμᾶς οὐχὶ καλῶς ἔχειν ἐλθεῖν, οὓς ὑστέρους ἐπεποίητο τοῦ Θρᾳκὸς καὶ τοῦ βαρβάρου," The meaning in these instances is determined by pragmatic features rather than by grammar.
I would have to know the greater context of the Thracian and the Barbarian. If it's one individual, I'm assuming that has already been addressed in the context. I mentioned "direct address" because that was the case with John 20:28, but you'll note my quote above of Sharp doesn't necessitate this be the only method.

If you have instances where there is ambiguity as to whether or not something is a name/quasi-proper name/title/etc., then you might find the solution to the problem outside of Sharp's rules as I have proposed.
I agree with this. I don't follow all of Sharp's examples, and I think he could have written the rules better. But he also wasn't a grammarian, so his rules are written more like a lawyer would write them than a grammarian. You should consider how I suggested them above, and if you offer criticism from there it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
continued from previous post
I would have to know the greater context of the Thracian and the Barbarian. If it's one individual, I'm assuming that has already been addressed in the context. I mentioned "direct address" because that was the case with John 20:28, but you'll note my quote above of Sharp doesn't necessitate this be the only method.
Or are we speaking of one who is (according to the English idiom) "a Thracian and a barbarian"? Sorry, I'm not familiar with this work. I'll have to read it when I have time. Immediately jumping into the text, I'm not familiar with its characters.

(I'll use what you have stated with the understanding that you might've added/omitted something accidentally with no malicious intent).
I never add or omit anything with malicious intent, but if you note specifically I can correct myself. I either have to write quickly between things or I have to write late. Both are a bad mix for being thorough. I wasn't saying at all that anything was ungrammatical, so I believe we have a misunderstanding on this point. I wasn't implying that anyone in the examples was breaking rules. I just said that for various reasons it's impossible for any rule to be 100% adhered to in 100% of cases. Maybe I'm not expressing it right? I don't think we are actually in disagreement over this. I may just not be expressing my thoughts correctly.

do you think there is something about the use of names/titles themselves that make them unsuitable for Sharp's rule?
A proper name by nature distinguishes a particular individual, so two in tandem denotes two individuals and cannot form a singular reference. Speaking generally--I understand there may be a Simon called "Kepha" or "Peter," but this would normally be noted by context. E.g. the Pharisees and Sadduccees may have a common purpose, but they are in fact rival factions. Also, plurals by nature denote multiple individuals, and therefore cannot take on a singular or personal reference. Things also have limitations: a stone is not a leaf, and a leaf is not a stone. I'm speaking in general, and I don't have a lawyer on hand to think of all the potential exceptions. In many cases, we don't need an article to remove ambiguity or designate a single subject being spoken of.

But an individual themself can be many things: a general, a president, a lord, a father, a son, a fellow-laborer, and can take many descriptors and titles. So a single article governing multiple epithets is quite practical.

Last edited:
Ugh. this is why I hate writing late. "E.g. Pharisees and Sadducees..." was supposed to go as an example with the plurals, but I edited in the wrong place.

You don’t seem to have read the whole thread.

Anyhow, instead of saying “nothing” supports the reading, tell us something specific which apparently does not “support” it ?
Yes, I pretty much read the whole thread, which was locked down because it meandered off topic. I'd almost think that Isaac Newton was you. Or at least you borrowed his Jack, John, dog argument. His points didn't fare so well over there, so why not try them here instead...

Last edited:
Ugh. this is why I hate writing late. "E.g. Pharisees and Sadducees..." was supposed to go as an example with the plurals, but I edited in the wrong place.

Yes, I pretty much read the whole thread, which was locked down because it meandered off topic. I'd almost think that Isaac Newton was you. Or at least you borrowed his Jack, John, dog argument. His points didn't fare so well over there, so why not try them here instead...
So give us one good reason why Isaac Newton's understanding of John 20:28 is bad ? I can give you a few why yours is impossible. One good reason, at a time.

Thanks again for the dialogue. It's been very enjoyable.
No, not at all. I just noted the variant.
Okay. Just checking. The comment there taken with the comment further down about John's rule breaking made me wonder.
Because they fall under the umbrella of an altogether different rule of grammar. Salamo Glassius noted the same rule with virtually the same exceptions (if you parse the wording correctly) back in the 1640s in his Sacred Philology:

Whenever an article is added emphatically to the first word, it includes all other additional epithets, and shows that there is a conversation about the same subject. (Quandoque articulus emphatice prime voci additus, reliqua omnia epitheta adjecta includit, & de eodem subjecto sermonem esse ostendit.)​
My question from above is relevant here again: how do you know that they fall under a "different rule of grammar"? If you look at the exceptions that I gave the use of the article relates to a feature that certainly has nothing to do with personhood.

And if you look at the contested verses (according to Wallace) they all, without exception, are united under a feature that may have nothing to do with personhood.
Acts 20:28 τὴν ἐκκλησίαν τοῦ κυρίου καὶ θεοῦ, ἣν περιεποιήσατο διὰ τοῦ αἵματος τοῦ ἰδίου (Using the variant Wallace cites, the two genitives relate to the non-person "the church")
Ephesians 5:5 ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ τοῦ Χριστοῦ καὶ θεοῦ. (the two genitives relate to "the kingdom")
II Thess. 1:12 τὴν χάριν τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ κυρίου ᾿Ιησοῦ Χριστοῦ (the two genitives relate to "the grace")
I Tim. 5:21/ II Tim. 4:1 διαμαρτύρομαι ἐνώπιον τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ κυρίου Χριστοῦ ᾿Ιησοῦ (the two genitives relate to the preposition "before")
Tit. 2:13 τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν ᾿Ιησοῦ Χριστοῦ (the two genitives relate to "the glory" or "appearance" earlier in the verse)
Jude 4 τὸν μόνον δεσπότην θεὸν καὶ κύριον ἡμῶν ᾿Ιησοῦν Χριστόν ἀρνούμενοι (Using the verse variant Wallace cites, the two accusatives serve as the object of the participle "denying")

This is true of I Peter 4:18 ὁ ἀσεβὴς καὶ ἁμαρτωλὸς ποῦ φανεῖται
The interesting thing here is that the verb is singular. It appears then that either ὁ ἀσεβὴς καὶ ἁμαρτωλὸς describes a twofold description of a single class or that there are two different classes of individuals and they share the article because neither class will appear.

In Proverbs 24:21 (φοβοῦ τὸν θεόν, υἱέ, καὶ βασιλέα) the accusatives are serving as double objects of the same verb.

In the exception from Herodotus that Wallace mentions, the king's servants were readily identifiable and were all strangled and buried.
ἐν δὲ τῇ λοιπῇ εὐρυχωρίῃ τῆς θήκης τῶν παλλακέων τε μίαν ἀποπνίξαντες θάπτουσι καὶ τὸν οἰνοχόον καὶ μάγειρον καὶ ἱπποκόμον καὶ διήκονον καὶ ἀγγελιηφόρον καὶ ἵππους καὶ τῶν ἄλλων πάντων ἀπαρχὰς καὶ φιάλας χρυσέας
It appears to me at a casual glance that the things that were strangled and buried were mentioned in different ways according to gender (concubine) and number (servants vs. horses). The use of the article with the servants may be explained by the fact it would make the reference definite based on their collectively known roles and need not be repeated since the link between them (both service to the king and manner of death) could readily be understood. Likewise, the disuse of the article with horses could be explained if the author wished to include them in regard to their shared fate even though they disagreed with in number with the article used earlier. Of course, it could also be said that the article was omitted because the horses who suffered this fate need not be tied to the king directly like the concubines and the kings servants. They could have been generic horses offered for the occasion. They do seem to me, however, to be included in the things that were strangled and buried. The change, to me at least, seems to be indicated with the phrase τῶν ἄλλων πάντων ἀπαρχὰς where we seem to move to offerings that were likewise buried with the king but not strangled. This again seemingly marked by a new use of the article. It's an interesting passage.

I can apply that rule consistently in the GNT. Wordsworth and Middleton began as critics but ended up reversing course. Winstanley attempted also, but was forced to admit there were no exceptions anywhere else in the GNT.

I've seen arguments were various individuals have crafted rules that can't be applied with any consistency in the GNT--and even places where it would break numerous other constructions. But I don't see that with Sharp.
That can be said of passages like John 20:28 and Proverbs 24:21 because you have the benefit of additional information to steer you out of trouble. In the passages where the words and phrases used could on their own refer to specific individuals, that is not the case. In passages like II Pet. 1:1-2 (Συμεὼν Πέτρος δοῦλος καὶ ἀπόστολος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τοῖς ἰσότιμον ἡμῖν λαχοῦσιν πίστιν ἐν δικαιοσύνῃ τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη πληθυνθείη ἐν ἐπιγνώσει τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ Ἰησοῦ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν.), where the term "God" might be understood in reference to the Father or to Jesus, there is no sure way to know whether or not the passage refers to one or two individuals. To claim that these ambiguous passages must conform to Sharp's rule because all the other passages do is circular reasoning, because, as I have tried to explain, there are other factors that can explain the use of the article other than whether or not a single person is in view as seems to be the focus of Sharp's rule.
I didn't mean to say you misquoted him. I meant that some of Sharp's exceptions are noted after the rule and its examples have been stated.
I didn't take it that way. I just don't know of anywhere where he mentions anything other than number of people being in view, but it's been a long time since I've read his work. Even Salamo Glassius above referred to the use of the article relating to "subjects" which is broader than the scope of persons in Sharp's rules as I understand them. And as you have said, maybe I have missed his remarks outside of that context. Do you know if he ever states that his rules apply to something other than the number of individuals in view?
I don't really agree that it is inconsistent. But I will note that Sharp was writing not as a grammarian but directed his arguments against the Socinians and Unitarians. I wrote what I believe a simplistic overview of the rules would be, and in my experience they will all neatly fall under those classes. If you note an exception that falls outside those classes that I listed, it would be of interest. So I think the "exceptions" can be overstated.
Really? You don't think that it is inconsistent for the net bible to make a distinction to have a different number of people referred to in the TSKS constructions in I Peter 1:1 and I Peter 1:2?
"From Simeon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ, have been granted a faith just as precious as ours. 2 May grace and peace be lavished on you as you grow in the rich knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord!"
You don't think that what constitutes a proper name/quasi-proper name/title, etc. is open to the interpretation of the commentator?

As I wrote above, the exceptions are written into Sharp's rule:

Except distinct and different actions are intended to be attributed to one and the same person; in which case, if the sentence is not expressed agreeably to the three first rules, but appears as an exception to this sixth rule, or even the first, (for, this exception relates to both rules,) the context most explain or point out plainly the person to whom the two nouns relate: as in I Thess. iii. 6 . . . And also in John, xx. 28 . . . If the two nouns (viz. ὁ κύριός and ὁ θεός μου) . . . were the leading nominative substantives of a sentence, they would express the descriptive qualities or dignities of two distinct persons, according to the sixth rule; but, in this last text, two distinct divine characters are applied to one person only ; for, the context clearly expresses to whom the words were addressed by Thomas... (Remarks..., pp. 15, 16)​
I understand that. My point was that direct address does not change the application of the structure. Context does. Again, it seems to me that Sharp formulated rules to refer to the constructions referring back to people. Essentially he states that TSKS = one person and TSKTS = two people. As far as I know, he doesn't have an explanation for when the terms used in these constructions don't refer to people but expand upon a thought or idea, as in II Peter 1:1-2 where the phrases are modifying "righteousness" and "knowledge"
I didn't mean in these cases (e.g. John 20:28). Particularly, some points in Revelation which is what you noted also. It seems we are in agreement. My point was only that sometimes the rules are broken for a reason. I apologize for the confusion.
No problem.
It was addressed in context. My point was the specific issue of direct address. The main issue is that I don't know of Sharp relating his construction to anything other than people.
I agree with this. I don't follow all of Sharp's examples, and I think he could have written the rules better. But he also wasn't a grammarian, so his rules are written more like a lawyer would write them than a grammarian. You should consider how I suggested them above, and if you offer criticism from there it would be appreciated.
I'll do that. It'll be after I finish up with your next post, and I don't know how long it will take. If you want to wait until I've finished them all to respond, that would probably help.

Or are we speaking of one who is (according to the English idiom) "a Thracian and a barbarian"? Sorry, I'm not familiar with this work. I'll have to read it when I have time. Immediately jumping into the text, I'm not familiar with its characters.
The only point was about direct address. We are good.
I never add or omit anything with malicious intent, but if you note specifically I can correct myself. I either have to write quickly between things or I have to write late. Both are a bad mix for being thorough. I wasn't saying at all that anything was ungrammatical, so I believe we have a misunderstanding on this point. I wasn't implying that anyone in the examples was breaking rules. I just said that for various reasons it's impossible for any rule to be 100% adhered to in 100% of cases. Maybe I'm not expressing it right? I don't think we are actually in disagreement over this. I may just not be expressing my thoughts correctly.
I understand you. I was only asking for clarification. I feel you always act in good faith in our interactions.
A proper name by nature distinguishes a particular individual, so two in tandem denotes two individuals and cannot form a singular reference.
Except in instances where an individual may be described by two or more names which does occur.
Speaking generally--I understand there may be a Simon called "Kepha" or "Peter," but this would normally be noted by context.
I spoke too soon! But, yes, this would usually be noted in context unless the correspondents already possessed the background necessary to make sense of it. Also in describing these constructions, even those of a more general nature, we would do well to remember how specific and relatively rare these constructions are.
E.g. the Pharisees and Sadduccees may have a common purpose, but they are in fact rival factions. Also, plurals by nature denote multiple individuals, and therefore cannot take on a singular or personal reference. Things also have limitations: a stone is not a leaf, and a leaf is not a stone. I'm speaking in general, and I don't have a lawyer on hand to think of all the potential exceptions. In many cases, we don't need an article to remove ambiguity or designate a single subject being spoken of.
That's very true. But I would expect those instances where the article is not needed to be the most helpful for determining why the article might have been used.
But an individual themself can be many things: a general, a president, a lord, a father, a son, a fellow-laborer, and can take many descriptors and titles. So a single article governing multiple epithets is quite practical.
Right. And the same hold true in reverse, titles and descriptions can take different names. It's very tricky business.

I understand that. My point was that direct address does not change the application of the structure. Context does.
I see your point, but honestly, I would consider a direct address as a change of context. I would say all the rules involve nuances of context.

In the exception from Herodotus that Wallace mentions, the king's servants were readily identifiable and were all strangled and buried.
ἐν δὲ τῇ λοιπῇ εὐρυχωρίῃ τῆς θήκης τῶν παλλακέων τε μίαν ἀποπνίξαντες θάπτουσι καὶ τὸν οἰνοχόον καὶ μάγειρον καὶ ἱπποκόμον καὶ διήκονον καὶ ἀγγελιηφόρον καὶ ἵππους καὶ τῶν ἄλλων πάντων ἀπαρχὰς καὶ φιάλας χρυσέας
This seems to me to be a good example of an enumeration, where the article serves to form a sort of conceptual unity. I don't see this as identical to such a passage, for example, as Φιλήμονι τῷ ἀγαπητῷ καὶ συνεργῷ ἡμῶν (Philemon 1:1) or Ἐπαϕρόδιτον τὸν ἀδελϕὸν καὶ συνεργὸν καὶ συστρατιώτην μου... (Philippians 2:25), where you have a name attached to multiple descriptors.

And if you look at the contested verses (according to Wallace) they all, without exception, are united under a feature that may have nothing to do with personhood.
Or they are also united under feature that they might possibly refer to Christ as "God," which will always draw contest from those who believe Christ is not called "God" in the scriptures. I don't find that presumption (which others keep appealing to) a good place to start.

I'll pay more attention next when going through the GNT.

Acts 20:28 τὴν ἐκκλησίαν τοῦ κυρίου καὶ θεοῦ, ἣν περιεποιήσατο διὰ τοῦ αἵματος τοῦ ἰδίου (Using the variant Wallace cites, the two genitives relate to the non-person "the church")
Jude 4 τὸν μόνον δεσπότην θεὸν καὶ κύριον ἡμῶν ᾿Ιησοῦν Χριστόν ἀρνούμενοι (Using the verse variant Wallace cites, the two accusatives serve as the object of the participle "denying")
Both these passages involve variations of wording and punctuation. That makes it difficult to pin down with patristic support and I would be less inclined to appeal to the construction here.

Ephesians 5:5 ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ τοῦ Χριστοῦ καὶ θεοῦ. (the two genitives relate to "the kingdom")
I have not studied Ephesians 5:5 much, but coincidentally have come across references to it by Chrysostom of Constantinople, Cyril of Alexandria, and Theodoret of Cyrus. Wordsworth said he encountered the same construction hundreds of times (not necessarily in the context of this verse), and always of one person. Since two of these were archbishops of major Sees of the church, I assume that this understanding was probably widespread. I regard Christ as a title, but "in the kingdom of Christ and God" really is probably the only way to translate it without turning it into a paraphrase.

II Thess. 1:12 τὴν χάριν τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ κυρίου ᾿Ιησοῦ Χριστοῦ (the two genitives relate to "the grace")
I've never seen any Greek father comment on this as referring to Christ as God to my recollection. I note that when Chrysostom comments, after quoting the passage he writes, "that is, this grace He Himself has given us, that He may be glorified in us, and that He may glorify us in Him." This does not rule out that two individuals are spoken of, but it is not the clear sort of testimony I would hope to see.

There's some dispute over whether κυρίου Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ should be regarded together as a proper name. I'd rather see patristic support for this one.

I Tim. 5:21/ II Tim. 4:1 διαμαρτύρομαι ἐνώπιον τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ κυρίου Χριστοῦ ᾿Ιησοῦ (the two genitives relate to the preposition "before")
Since both of these involve textual variants, it's more difficult to pin down precedent with the Greek fathers so many of us would prefer just to err on the side of caution. In most manuscripts I believe there are two articles in 2 Timothy 4:1, so I certainly would not adopt a translation where only one individual is spoken of. In the NA/UBS for 1 Timothy 5:21 κυρίου is omitted.

However, in 2 Tim. 4:1, that there is an article in the following, καὶ τῶν ἐκλεκτῶν ἀγγέλων, is of interest. There is at the very least some type of unity involved in the construction τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ (Κυρίου) Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ

Tit. 2:13 τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν ᾿Ιησοῦ Χριστοῦ (the two genitives relate to "the glory" or "appearance" earlier in the verse)
The attributive genitive is a common feature in Paul's writings and that is shaped by the influence of the Hebrew language, and the passage isn't contested in any Greek literature I'm aware of. I don't see any evidence in Greek of any other understanding prior to Erasmus, and it's generally regarded that Winer caused the most trouble in European understanding of the usage of the article in this passage. In v. 14, there's one subject, though that may not necessarily be conclusive. This passage is most frequently appealed to among the Greek fathers, since the Arians said that Christ was a "little god" and clearly is not anarthrous.

The main issue is that I don't know of Sharp relating his construction to anything other than people.
Sharp's work was actually more of a polemic against the Socinians and Unitarians, so the focus really was on individuals. But grammarians went deeper into plural and impersonal and essentially concluded that his rules are sound. Since our knowledge of the language is constantly being refined, I am not much concerned about slight modifications in the wording, even though I think Wallace's reformulation really didn't add anything new, just made it more verbose.

I have not studied Ephesians 5:5 much, but coincidentally have come across references to it by Chrysostom of Constantinople, Cyril of Alexandria, and Theodoret of Cyrus. Wordsworth said he encountered the same construction hundreds of times (not necessarily in the context of this verse), and always of one person. Since two of these were archbishops of major Sees of the church, I assume that this understanding was probably widespread.

Ephesians 5:5 (AV)
For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person,
nor covetous man, who is an idolater,
hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Wordsworth -
"more than a thousand instances ... while in no single case, have I seen (where the sense could be determined) any one of them used, but only of one person."

Six Letters to Granville Sharp (1802)
https://books.google.com/books?id=_10SAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA132

If you support this assertion of Wordsworth, then use our Perseus-style tools and show us! We do not need the Wordsworth claim of over a thousand, but simply 10 instances would be incredibly helpful. Even five. Else let us accept Wordsworth as a charlatan, or at best extremely skewed and illogical in his comments.

==============================

The three early church writers you mention have some difficulties as well, since a deduction can easily be confused with a declaration. Cyril of Alexandria I believe is the one that is most likely reading the text in the identity fashion, yet even there it could be a deduction, an eisegetical stretch, from the phrase “kingdom of Christ and of God.”

However, lets just mention some of the ECW (early church writers) who utilize the Ephesians verse, including the last phrase, with absolutely no intimation of an identity of God and Christ.

Clement of Alexandria
Tertullian
Cyprian
Athanasius
Augustine x3
Ambrose x2
John Cassian
Jerome
John Damascus

This may be tweaked, e.g. to see if the quotes are still Ambrose, and likely more can be added.

And remember, the identity translation is basically unused today. The good commentaries, like that of John Calvin, discuss the closeness of God and Christ without any claim or hint of grammatical identity.

Be very careful with that Wordsworth quote :).

Ephesians 5:5 is another Granville Sharp failure. We have a wonderful English text in our Authorized Version. Sharp, driven by confused doctrinal motives, not understanding apostolic New Testament dual addressing, wanted to “correct” the AV text. One irony is that Sharp was de facto endorsing Sabellianism, since “God” in a verse like Ephesians 5:5 is most naturally understood as God the Father.

Last edited:
John Calvin
When men have repented, and thus give evidence that they are reconciled to God, they are no longer the same persons that they formerly were. But let all fornicators, or unclean or covetous persons, so long as they continue such, be assured that they have no friendship with God, and are deprived of all hope of salvation. It is called the kingdom of Christ and of God, because God hath given it to his Son that we may obtain it through him.

This true sense of the verse is totally lost by the Granville Sharp mangling.

Wordsworth was simply skeptical, not a critic.
Plus his conclusions are totally unreliable, as we see two posts up.
And watch Wallace:
"Unfortunately, the work that Wordsworth undertook is only minimally documented in his Six Letters. He lists but a few of the thousands of references. "
https://books.google.com/books?id=xD11FZNLWpYC&pg=PA60

Can you quote Middleton?

Most importantly, you are getting your Winstanly info indirectly, through a skewed intermediary. Wallace did a lot of fancy "..." to distort his words. Winstanley clearly considered the Sharp verses as exceptions to the supposed Rule, even after the boatload of Sharp exceptions.

A vindication of certain passages in the common English version of the New Testament : addressed to Granville Sharp, Esq., author of "Remarks on the uses of the definitive article in the Greek text of the New Testament."
Calvin Winstanley

There are, you say, no exceptions, in the New Testament, to your rule; that is, I suppose unless these particular texts be such; which you think utterly improbable. You would argue, then, that if these texts were exceptions, there would be more. I do not perceive any great weight in this hypothetical reasoning. But, however plausible it may appear, the reply is at hand. There are no other words, between which the insertion of the copulative, would effect so remarkable a deviation from the established form of constructing them to express one person; and of course, would so pointedly suggest a difference of signification. (continues) p. 39

but as the contrary is the fact, it is nothing surprising to find all these particular texts in question appearing as exceptions to your rule, and the sole exceptions; I mean in the New Testament for we have had an incontrovertible one from the Septuagint. p. 40-41

The Wallace ellipsis mangling is here

You should read Winstanley, and address what he writes, without going through Wallace.

These rules are all founded on the presence or the absence of the copulative or the article; and nothing can be more imperfect than such rules. Both the copulative and the article are frequently suppressed by authors, and must be supplied by the reader’s understanding. As this can only be done by attending to the context, and sometimes to the signification of the words employed, so far as the construction (the presence or absence of the copulative, for instance,) from being always the sole guide to sense, that an apprehension of the sense must frequently precede our knowledge of the construction; as when we have to determine, whether two personal nouns of the same case, gender, &c.. in immediate connexion, are in concord or apposition, and, therefore, relating to the same person, or not.
p. 3-4

Earlier you made the absurd claim that all of Winstanley's objections had been put to rest. That is simply not true, I showed some points, and you went quiet.

Last edited:
Sharp's work was actually more of a polemic against the Socinians and Unitarians, so the focus really was on individuals. But grammarians went deeper into plural and impersonal and essentially concluded that his rules are sound.

This is simply not true. Many grammarians do not embrace a "Rule" laden with exceptions galore. English versions were resistant to radically changing the pure AV text, which is the stated goal of Sharp and the de facto goal of brianrw. Wallace tried to blame the reluctant grammarians on the Winer bogey-man. Also Wallace said that nobody properly stated the Rule for the 150 years before 1990.

=======================

The only Sharp verse with good early church writer support is Titus 2:13.

However, it is trivially easy to refute the Rule idea for that verse.

========================

Authorial Intent

Jesus Christ is a proper noun.
Wallace says so, and it would be hard to find any objections.

Titus 2:13 (AV)
Looking for that blessed hope,
and the glorious appearing
of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

By Sharp confusions, Paul had to be aware that if he ended the verse with:

"and Jesus Christ" - omitting "our Saviour"
the meaning would be the normal flow of the words, as you see in the AV.
And would be his normal mode of dual addressing.

Yet, in the Sharp fantasy-land, Paul would have to know that if he ended the verse with:

"and our Saviour Jesus Christ"
then Paul was giving a totally different meaning, and changing away from the natural word order to say the great God is Jesus Christ.

This is totally absurd.

For a laugh there is even a paper that tries to work with this by statistical analysis.

I see your point, but honestly, I would consider a direct address as a change of context. I would say all the rules involve nuances of context.
I agree that direct address can be a change of context, but it isn't one that, alone, demands a particular understanding of a TSKS/TSKTS construction.
This seems to me to be a good example of an enumeration, where the article serves to form a sort of conceptual unity. I don't see this as identical to such a passage, for example, as Φιλήμονι τῷ ἀγαπητῷ καὶ συνεργῷ ἡμῶν (Philemon 1:1) or Ἐπαϕρόδιτον τὸν ἀδελϕὸν καὶ συνεργὸν καὶ συστρατιώτην μου... (Philippians 2:25), where you have a name attached to multiple descriptors.
I agree with you, and that's been my point all along. They aren't the same. The example TSKS constructions you have given here refer back to a person. The example from Herodotus is seemingly a result of these individuals' shared circumstance. The problems for Sharp's rules arise when there is more than one explanation possible for the use of a single article. That is precisely what we see in passages like Eph. 5:5.
Or they are also united under feature that they might possibly refer to Christ as "God," which will always draw contest from those who believe Christ is not called "God" in the scriptures. I don't find that presumption (which others keep appealing to) a good place to start.
Sharp seems to me to have missed the obvious difference of passages like Herodotus above and Eph. 5:5 precisely because he assumed that the TSKS construction's purpose is to distinguish the number of people being referred to. The potential problem that I am describing here doesn't seem to cross his mind in his remarks on Eph. 5:5.
I'll pay more attention next when going through the GNT.
I know the feeling. I end up looking for more than I am able to keep up with.
I have not studied Ephesians 5:5 much, but coincidentally have come across references to it by Chrysostom of Constantinople, Cyril of Alexandria, and Theodoret of Cyrus. Wordsworth said he encountered the same construction hundreds of times (not necessarily in the context of this verse), and always of one person.
He said he encountered the phrase "The kingdom of ___ and ___" hundreds of times? Was he talking about Patristic literature?
Since two of these were archbishops of major Sees of the church, I assume that this understanding was probably widespread. I regard Christ as a title, but "in the kingdom of Christ and God" really is probably the only way to translate it without turning it into a paraphrase.
"The kingdom of Christ and of God"
I've never seen any Greek father comment on this as referring to Christ as God to my recollection. I note that when Chrysostom comments, after quoting the passage he writes, "that is, this grace He Himself has given us, that He may be glorified in us, and that He may glorify us in Him." This does not rule out that two individuals are spoken of, but it is not the clear sort of testimony I would hope to see.

There's some dispute over whether κυρίου Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ should be regarded together as a proper name. I'd rather see patristic support for this one.
Tracking down these citations is a worthwhile effort, but I don't think it sheds much light on this matter. Many (most?) of the passages aren't ambiguous anyway, and the ECF remarks only show their understanding of the texts. We have no way of knowing which of their conclusions were based on theology and which were based on grammar.
Since both of these involve textual variants, it's more difficult to pin down precedent with the Greek fathers so many of us would prefer just to err on the side of caution.
I can respect that. It is caution that prevents me from accepting Sharp's rules unconditionally.
In most manuscripts I believe there are two articles in 2 Timothy 4:1, so I certainly would not adopt a translation where only one individual is spoken of.
If you feel that 2 Tim. 4:1 should follow the majority, we can strike it from discussion for simplicity's sake.
In the NA/UBS for 1 Timothy 5:21 κυρίου is omitted.
However, in 2 Tim. 4:1, that there is an article in the following, καὶ τῶν ἐκλεκτῶν ἀγγέλων, is of interest. There is at the very least some type of unity involved in the construction τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ (Κυρίου) Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ
I believe where you have "2 Tim. 4:1" you meant I Tim. 5:21, right? This is by far the most interesting verse of the two. I'm a bit surprised you see any unity at all. (I'm not intending to be snarky.) Is it because of the use of a proper name or the like?

The attributive genitive is a common feature in Paul's writings and that is shaped by the influence of the Hebrew language, and the passage isn't contested in any Greek literature I'm aware of.
I wouldn't expect it to be contested. They wouldn't have a problem with "the kingdom of God" or "the kingdom of Christ." So, I wouldn't expect them to have a problem with "the kingdom of God and Christ." (Talking about ECFs, not Jewish authors, obviously)
Sharp's work was actually more of a polemic against the Socinians and Unitarians, so the focus really was on individuals. But grammarians went deeper into plural and impersonal and essentially concluded that his rules are sound. Since our knowledge of the language is constantly being refined, I am not much concerned about slight modifications in the wording, even though I think Wallace's reformulation really didn't add anything new, just made it more verbose.
Then I dread to think what you'd say about me! :)

I'm still planning to respond to your list of rules when I have the time. Hopefully, I won't forget.

He said he encountered the phrase "The kingdom of ___ and ___" hundreds of times? Was he talking about Patristic literature?

Six Letters (1802)
Christopher Wordsworth
https://books.google.com/books?id=_10SAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA132

1654633938522.png

Ironically, nobody has questioned this, and today we have tools that would make it easy to search.

And a number of writers felt this was a dynamic positive testimony, including Edward Nares, Moses Stuart, Thomas Burgess, Anthony Kohlman, Alexander Tilloch, James Slade, Thomas Fanshaw Middleton, Edward Hare and John Dick.

Daniel Wallace seems to be a bit uneasy.

Daniel Wallace:
"Unfortunately, the work that Wordsworth undertook is only minimally documented in his Six Letters. He lists but a few of the thousands of references."

Granville Sharp's Canon and its Kin: Semantics and Significance (2003)
https://books.google.com/books?id=xD11FZNLWpYC&pg=PA59
p. 59-60

Not surprisingly, Wallace gets the facts wrong.

What about the remaining three passages? What did Wordsworth dis- cover in the fathers concerning Eph 5:5; Titus 2:13; and 2 Pet 1:1? He noted that these three texts were used frequently, from the second century on. Indeed, he became quite convinced that Sharp had articulated such a sound principle that at one point he gushed.

(text from above)

2 Peter 1:1 has very modest usage, and is never given an identity text/interpretation.

Ephesians 5:5 has very minimal identity usage, and there are many writers who use the text without any hint of it being "one person."

Last edited:
Sharp seems to me to have missed the obvious difference of passages like Herodotus above and Eph. 5:5 precisely because he assumed that the TSKS construction's purpose is to distinguish the number of people being referred to. The potential problem that I am describing here doesn't seem to cross his mind in his remarks on Eph. 5:5.

Sharp was oblivious to the Classical Greek corpus.

This came up more in Winstanley and Middleton.
Middleton had a simple approach, when there were more verses that did not fit, he would use exceptions to acquit.

Review of Middleton (1810)
https://books.google.com/books?id=JbnkAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA156

To save the rule from being destroyed by these examples, Dr. M. deems it sufficient to say that here the attributives:

‘are in their nature absolutely incompatible, and such as cannot be predicated of the same subject without the most evident and direct contradiction:

Making up creative exceptions is the Granville Sharp Rule game. :)

Last edited:
Rather: appearing of the glory.
It's an attributive genitive. It is a construction very favorable to Hebrew speakers, and one Paul uses frequently.

Yes.

Sharp seems to me to have missed the obvious difference of passages like Herodotus above and Eph. 5:5 precisely because he assumed that the TSKS construction's purpose is to distinguish the number of people being referred to.
I think it's fair that Sharp dealt with the Greek of the New Testament.

Sharp seems to me to have missed the obvious difference of passages like Herodotus above and Eph. 5:5 precisely because he assumed that the TSKS construction's purpose is to distinguish the number of people being referred to.
In the patristic literature I've seen this passage quoted in only three places that I recall, and all of them speak of the passage as referring to Christ as God. But it's one of those things where I just have to keep my eyes open--I may have seen it elsewhere, and I may in the future. What I can say is that I don't recall every seeing it clearly used of two individuals.

In Herodotus, even in the enumeration we're still looking at a conceptual unity.

If you feel that 2 Tim. 4:1 should follow the majority, we can strike it from discussion for simplicity's sake.
I feel that would be the best way to approach it.

Tracking down these citations is a worthwhile effort, but I don't think it sheds much light on this matter. Many (most?) of the passages aren't ambiguous anyway, and the ECF remarks only show their understanding of the texts. We have no way of knowing which of their conclusions were based on theology and which were based on grammar.
Our best is no substitute for native understanding. I'm not just looking at how they understood the passages, but how they might quote their opponents on it or how their opponents would respond. I don't think the same argument would last for centuries if the defense was merely, "the passage is ambiguous" or "you misread it" or "another way to interpret is." I have seen them make the opposite comment, though, that Paul is plainly referring to Christ as "great God."

I think it's significant that most of the Christological heresies that the Greeks were involved in held that Christ--in some way, shape, or form--is called "God" in the GNT. I just don't really see them debating these same passages the way we do. That's a huge red flag.

I believe where you have "2 Tim. 4:1" you meant I Tim. 5:21, right? This is by far the most interesting verse of the two. I'm a bit surprised you see any unity at all. (I'm not intending to be snarky.) Is it because of the use of a proper name or the like?
I don't recall my thought process back that far. ? The texts have two articles at 2 Timothy 4:1. Yes, 1 Tim. 5:21 is an interesting example. I noted my thoughts above. In 1 Timothy 5:21 there's certainly a conceptual unity. Unless I find patristic support for this passage, I think that (Κυρίου) Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ is far more safely taken as a proper name.

Then I dread to think what you'd say about me! :)
I'm pretty laid back.

I'm still planning to respond to your list of rules when I have the time. Hopefully, I won't forget.
Sounds good. It was roughly jotted down. "Direct address" is probably too narrow.

Back