Trump calls GA Sec of State to demand he "find" votes to overturn Biden win

vibise

President Trump urged fellow Republican Brad Raffensperger, the Georgia secretary of state, to “find” enough votes to overturn his defeat in an extraordinary one-hour phone call Saturday that election experts said raised legal questions.

The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims, at one point warning that Raffensperger was taking “a big risk.”
Throughout the call, Raffensperger and his office’s general counsel rejected his assertions, explaining that Trump is relying on debunked conspiracy theories and that President-elect Joe Biden’s 12,779-vote victory in Georgia was fair and accurate.

Unbelievable.

I don't know if the tapes are yet available, but the quotes provided strongly suggest Trump put himself in legal jeopardy by doing this.

Whateverman

I guarantee, without exaggeration, that if any Democrat president tried this, there'd be shooting in the streets.

Temujin

Unbelievable.

I don't know if the tapes are yet available, but the quotes provided strongly suggest Trump put himself in legal jeopardy by doing this.
Just watched the reports on BBC news. Described by a professor of constitutional law at NY University as "The most corrupt abuse of power by any president in US history.

The sad thing is, that go-smacking as the details are, we are not surprised. Equally sad will be the numbers of people prepared to support a president who uses threats of criminal prosecution to attempt to coerce election officials into committing election fraud in his favour in an attempt to retain power. If a third world country president did this, the US would be calling for sanctions. Instead we will Senators and Representatives, making excuses in the hope of gaining political advantage.

The shining city on the hill is looking a bit tawdry.

J regia

Your "sources" is dirty Fake News WAPO
Cesspool media.
Some of the tape recording has just been played on our TV news, so perhaps the fat loser boy should get a lawyer, and better get a real good one when he gets drummed out on January 20th.

Whateverman

Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?

---

Back on topic, those phone recordings are damning in the extreme. Drumpf is literally trying to extort officials into changing the results of the election. If there was ever a reason to impeach a president, this is it.

Andy Sist

Trump may have broken several federal laws concerning election tampering as well as attempted extortion.

Trump’s actions could constitute election fraud. Section 52 of the U.S. Code concerns voting and elections, and provides for a sentence of up to five years for:

“A person, including an election official, who in any election for Federal office

(1) knowingly and willfully intimidates, threatens, or coerces, or attempts to intimidate, threaten, or coerce, any person for-

(A) registering to vote, or voting, or attempting to register or vote;

(B) urging or aiding any person to register to vote, to vote, or to attempt to register or vote; or

(C) exercising any right under this chapter; or

(2) knowingly and willfully deprives, defrauds, or attempts to deprive or defraud the residents of a State of a fair and impartially conducted election process, by

(A) the procurement or submission of voter registration applications that are known by the person to be materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent under the laws of the State in which the election is held; or

(B) the procurement, casting, or tabulation of ballots that are known by the person to be materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent under the laws of the State in which the election is held.”

Trump’s citing possible criminal charges for Raffensperger unless he produces a different election result in Georgia could be seen as extortion, which section 18, chapter 41 of the U.S. code expressly prohibits. Yahoo source

It's a 100% sure bet he will try to give himself a complete pardon before leaving office now.

DeSanto

Trump may have broken several federal laws concerning election tampering as well as attempted extortion.

It's a 100% sure bet he will try to give himself a complete pardon before leaving office now.
To me... it sounded like Trump was getting the guy to incriminate himself...

Michael R2

Uh. Isn’t it like illegal to leak private convos with the potus?
Both DC and Georgia have single party recording laws. It may be illegal to leak conversations which have to do with national security (this applies to all government officials, not just the POTUS). This conversation, however, would not fall under that umbrella.

The Pixie

Why would Trump do that? He was talking to a fellow Republican as I understand it. Do you think Trump believes Raffensperger was secretly working for the Democrats?

vibise

Trump was asking the guy to illegally "find" just enough votes to overturn the election, while spouting conspiracy theories about the GA election that have been definitely debunked.

To Raffensperger's credit, he politely but firmly resisted the pressure from Trump while also calmly informing Trump that his facts were wrong.

Raffensperger elevated his reputation, while Trump's bar keeps getting lower and lower.

DeSanto

Both DC and Georgia have single party recording laws. It may be illegal to leak conversations which have to do with national security (this applies to all government officials, not just the POTUS). This conversation, however, would not fall under that umbrella.
Isn't notification required before releasing such communications? And why wouldn’t the security of our national elections fall under “national security?”

Temujin

Isn't notification required before releasing such communications? And why wouldn’t the security of our national elections fall under “national security?”
Notification was given. When Trump started lying on Twitter about the content of the call, he was told "with respect" that what he said was not true and that the truth would be revealed. An hour later it was.

How is the release of this call more of an issue to you than the content? How can you possibly defend Trump behaving like a badly written mafia boss in a low-budget movie? Just how sleazy does the scumbag need to show himself to be before you stop supporting him?

Michael R2

No notification is required, not even for the taping. Trump was not discussing the security of the elections (from the clips I've heard), he was discussing 'finding votes' and etc.

DeSanto

Why would Trump do that? He was talking to a fellow Republican as I understand it.
Why does that matter? Are you saying Trump should look the other way if potential crimes are being committed by fellow republicans? Is that what democrats do? Cover crimes of other democrats... because their democrats?
Do you think Trump believes Raffensperger was secretly working for the Democrats?
Idk, maybe China!

DeSanto

Notification was given. When Trump started lying on Twitter about the content of the call, he was told "with respect" that what he said was not true and that the truth would be revealed. An hour later it was.

How is the release of this call more of an issue to you than the content?
Well, I guess it’s just the whole double standard thing again. Wikileaks comes to mind. Remember how the release of dnc emails was made waaaaaaaaaaaay more of an issue than the actual content?

And look what they’ve done to Julian Assange... it’s horrifying!
How can you possibly defend Trump behaving like a badly written mafia boss in a low-budget movie? Just how sleazy does the scumbag need to show himself to be before you stop supporting him?
I wasn’t defending anyone. I merely gave my opinion on the portion of the call we were allowed to hear and what it sounded like to me.

DeSanto

Trump was asking the guy to illegally "find" just enough votes to overturn the election, while spouting conspiracy theories about the GA election that have been definitely debunked.

To Raffensperger's credit, he politely but firmly resisted the pressure from Trump while also calmly informing Trump that his facts were wrong.

Raffensperger elevated his reputation, while Trump's bar keeps getting lower and lower.
Those of us who actually watched the hearings in Georgia understand there are valid election fraud accusations that have not been addressed or debunked... and attempting to gaslight people as “conspiracy theorist” just makes the them look desperate and extremely guilty.