Trump Dumps

TeabagSalad

It seems that Trump has done a U-Turn, in a video statement he says the following about the people that stormed the Capitol Building:

"To those who engaged in the acts of violence and destruction, you do not represent our country,” he said. “To those who broke the law, you will pay.”

Amazing how quick he is to turn on his supporters once he realises their actions make him look bad and could result in problems for him.

Whateverman

Amazing how quick he is to turn on his supporters once he realises their actions make him look bad and could result in problems for him.
Remember his apology for the Access Hollywood tape, after which he went back to demeaning women?

The man is a liar, and after all this time, anyone who still believes what he says is a liar, too.

TeabagSalad

Hmm. What about those who incite acts of violence and destruction?

I'm not too familiar with the law in the US regarding inciting violence. Here in the UK it can be a legal "grey area", however in an obvious case like this they would be in as much trouble as those who perpetrated the violence and destruction.

TeabagSalad

Remember his apology for the Access Hollywood tape, after which he went back to demeaning women?

The man is a liar, and after all this time, anyone who still believes what he says is a liar, too.

I think calling someone a liar for believing Trump is a little strong. "Absolute idiot" is probably far more appropriate.

vibise

It seems that Trump has done a U-Turn, in a video statement he says the following about the people that stormed the Capitol Building:

"To those who engaged in the acts of violence and destruction, you do not represent our country,” he said. “To those who broke the law, you will pay.”

Note that, as with his other apologies, he read from a prepared text that someone else wrote and he did not ad lib at all.
He has evidently been convinced that he could be charged for inciting this mob to do what they did, and is trying to mitigate the damage he did to himself.

Whateverman

I think calling someone a liar for believing Trump is a little strong. "Absolute idiot" is probably far more appropriate.
I know what you mean, but I disagree (not strongly, though). I think the lying has gone on far too long for actual stupidity to factor into the support.

It's willful. They know he lies, and they support it.

Maybe it could be called dishonesty rather than lying, but at this point, I'm not feeling overly generous/cautious with my language.

TeabagSalad

I know what you mean, but I disagree (not strongly, though). I think the lying has gone on far too long for actual stupidity to factor into the support.

It's willful. They know he lies, and they support it.

Maybe it could be called dishonesty rather than lying, but at this point, I'm not feeling overly generous/cautious with my language.

You make a good point...you've changed my mind. And for the most part I think that you are correct - there are always going to be a few that have been truly duped and lack the intelligence to get out of the hole, these people should be helped.

Temujin

You make a good point...you've changed my mind. And for the most part I think that you are correct - there are always going to be a few that have been truly duped and lack the intelligence to get out of the hole, these people should be helped.
Look at some of the posters on this board. How have they altered their style, if at all over the last few days? To me, there are some who remain troo believers in Trump, despite everything, and incredible as that may seem.

We can hope that if Trump's last horcrux, his twitter account, can be destroyed rather than just suspended, then these people can be brought, slowly and blinking, into the light; a metaphor one of them used themselves. I think there will always be some who are psychologically incapable of reversing course, more likely to have a mental health crisis than just accept that they were wrong. They have no choice but to live through the looking glass, where the riots were caused by Antifa, egged on by Biden, where it is the the Democrats who sought to alter the election results, where it is the mainstream news media that reports alternative facts, rather than social media, where it is easier to believe that the entire ruling class of every western country, legislative, executive and judiciary, is conspiring to make Trump appear to be wrong, than for him to actually be wrong.

vibise

Helped how?
You can lead a horse to water.....

The real problem here is the proliferation of actual fake news sites that present false information and outright lies packaged in easily remembered and clever slogans.
There has to be a way to somehow kneecap these sites.

Whateverman

The real problem here is the proliferation of actual fake news sites that present false information and outright lies packaged in easily remembered and clever slogans.
I disagree, strongly.

The market for such sites existed before the sites did. THAT is the real problem.

A certain segment of the electorate wants to be told the things they want to hear, and they'll watch whoever fills that need. This is why so many abandoned Fox once it failed to stick to the right-wing script: their "trust" in the network wasn't based on being told the truth, but in having their worldview reinforced.

We're talking about people who need their politics reinforced like religious fundamentalists need their faith reinforced. That's a serious problem, and shutting down fake news sites isn't going to solve it.

Howie

Dopey Joe never turned on his BLM and Antifa supporters. He didn't have to. The media covered for him on anything that made/makes him look bad, and my bet is they'll continue to do so with the help of Biden's aids choosing who will ask him questions and supplying them with questions they can ask.

Dopey Joe, not my Presudent.

J regia

Dopey Joe never turned on his BLM and Antifa supporters. He didn't have to. The media covered for him on anything that made/makes him look bad, and my bet is they'll continue to do so with the help of Biden's aids choosing who will ask him questions and supplying them with questions they can ask.

Dopey Joe, not my Presudent.
You must be looking forward to when Kamala takes over.
And my prophesy is that alas there won't be a second coming of your Messiah.

Howie

I disagree, strongly.

The market for such sites existed before the sites did. THAT is the real problem.

A certain segment of the electorate wants to be told the things they want to hear, and they'll watch whoever fills that need. This is why so many abandoned Fox once it failed to stick to the right-wing script: their "trust" in the network wasn't based on being told the truth, but in having their worldview reinforced.

We're talking about people who need their politics reinforced like religious fundamentalists need their faith reinforced. That's a serious problem, and shutting down fake news sites isn't going to solve it.
A complete projection. Lol