Truth, knowable

SteveB

In John 16, vss 7-11 we read the following.

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

This is critical, because it's all too easy to get ideas confused, conflated, twisted, changed up, to fit our previously established beliefs.

So, First..... God's Spirit, who is the Spirit of Truth.
He only speaks Truth. Not truth as we see/view truth, but objective truth.
Jesus tells us that when he is come, he will do 3 things.

He will convict the world
of sin, and
of righteousness, and
of judgment:

9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me;
10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more;
11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

In convicting of sin, he shows us what is truth, and where we are wrong.
This includes exposing the darkness of sin, for what sin actually is, and it's impact on our lives.
As Jesus has died for all sin, the sin of importance here is the sin of not placing one's trust in Jesus.

In convicting the world of righteousness, because Jesus went to the Father, is that God has accepted what Jesus did on our behalf, as demonstrated by the resurrection. Thus, he exposes our unrighteousness, by his righteousness.

He convicts the world of judgment, because the prince of this world, under whose sway the world is, has been judged.
I.e., the ruler of this world has lost. His rage against God has an end, and those who are under his sway have an end.

Your post is entirely dependent on the belief that The Bible is from God and the Koran, Vedas, and other books are not. You'd have to prove that before a Bible quote has any meaning.

Otherwise I could say the god Atum is knowable because it says, "He has come to thee … Great One; he has come to thee, Great-in-magic … He is pure for thee; he is in awe of thee" in a tomb in Egypt and that would be no different that your Gospel quote.

And they cannot both be true - so we need to prove which one is. Maybe they are both wrong. Who knows?

SteveB

Your post is entirely dependent on the belief that The Bible is from God and the Koran, Vedas, and other books are not. You'd have to prove that before a Bible quote has any meaning.
You're more than capable of learning for yourself. Exactly as Jesus said....
Do what Jesus said, and you'll find out.
Do what Mohammed said, and you'll find out.
Do what the Vedas, Confucous, and whomever else said.
You're not going to learn simply by sitting on your derriere, talking about it.

Otherwise I could say the god Atum is knowable because it says, "He has come to thee … Great One; he has come to thee, Great-in-magic … He is pure for thee; he is in awe of thee" in a tomb in Egypt and that would be no different that your Gospel quote.

then do what he says, and find out.

And they cannot both be true - so we need to prove which one is. Maybe they are both wrong. Who knows?
This is true.....
I've already proven that Jesus is raised from the dead, and what he says is true.
Which is why I'm here talking about it. Otherwise, I'd have found a tropical island a long time ago, and left society far behind.