Truth?

Arch Stanton

Do you believe the bible to be absolute truth? I think I gathered but want to have it explicitly stated.
Yes... think of the Constitution needing interpretation [Supreme Court]... maybe I need further explanation to understand your 'absolute truth' with regards to the Bible [bible only?]
And should all believers hold this position?
For the first 1,500 years it did [schism with Orthodox though] :(
This is going somewhere, I promise.
No problem

Last edited:

Mikey1967

Yes... think of the Constitution needing interpretation [Supreme Court]... maybe I need further explanation to understand your 'absolute truth' with regards to the Bible [bible only?]
Do you believe that the Holy Spirit reveals truth to those who diligently seek Him and His Truth?

For the first 1,500 years it did [schism with Orthodox though] :(
Out of curiosity, what was the schism...this is just my curiosity to what your thoughts are.

So, last foundational question before meatier questions; Is the bible one truth or is it up to the reader to derive "their" truth from it?

Arch Stanton

Do you believe that the Holy Spirit reveals truth to those who diligently seek Him and His Truth?
Yes, however the Holy Spirit is not divided
Out of curiosity, what was the schism...this is just my curiosity to what your thoughts are.
Many schisms but I was referring to east/west... unleavened bread from the west to the east [Eucharist], political splintering into 11 eastern orthodox churches, the filioque [and the son]
So, last foundational question before meatier questions; Is the bible one truth or is it up to the reader to derive "their" truth from it?
Many truths... not sure what you are looking for with such broad strokes :unsure:

Mikey1967

Many schisms but I was referring to east/west... unleavened bread from the west to the east [Eucharist], political splintering into 11 eastern orthodox churches, the filioque [and the son]
And to which does your theology fall to?

Yes, however the Holy Spirit is not divided
Many truths... not sure what you are looking for with such broad strokes :unsure:
Unless I am misunderstanding, how then do you reconcile these two?

Arch Stanton

Mikey1967

can you give me more than 'absolute' and 'relative'?
Surely. Absolute truth as in the bible is God's word, and He sovereignly influenced men to put together. Overall it is completely true outside of interpretation and therefore able to an absolute standard to know the Him as He has revealed. Even in issues of interpretation, there is still one truth. Two opposing views cannot both be true.

Relative truth is based on what the person or reader chooses to believe. Therefore, you have the claim of "my" truth and "your" truth.

Arch Stanton

Surely. Absolute truth as in the bible is God's word, and He sovereignly influenced men to put together. Overall it is completely true outside of interpretation and therefore able to an absolute standard to know the Him as He has revealed. Even in issues of interpretation, there is still one truth. Two opposing views cannot both be true.

Relative truth is based on what the person or reader chooses to believe. Therefore, you have the claim of "my" truth and "your" truth.
Without understanding what possible 'trap' lies ahead I will say the Bible is true.

Mikey1967

Without understanding what possible 'trap' lies ahead I will say the Bible is true.
No trap. It is good to level set the foundation of the discussion or we could wind up arguing semantics rather than the meat of the discussion.

So, with the agreement on the truth of the bible. Why is the Church so divided? Are we allowing our traditions or our denominational doctrines to be held as a higher truth?

Arch Stanton

No trap. It is good to level set the foundation of the discussion or we could wind up arguing semantics rather than the meat of the discussion.

So, with the agreement on the truth of the bible. Why is the Church so divided? Are we allowing our traditions or our denominational doctrines to be held as a higher truth?
Man thought his way was better than God's way. Some traditions are fine as they go hand in hand with the bible [written Word, oral Word 'tradition']

Last edited:

Mikey1967

Man thought his way was better than God's way. Some traditions are fine as they go hand in hand with the bible [written Word, oral Word 'tradition']
I guess a big question is how did the Church become so polarized? We have the same scriptures yet denial and omission of scriptural truth is fever pitch. So when someone comes speaking truth, those who have rejected truth see these as fanatical

Arch Stanton

I guess a big question is how did the Church become so polarized? We have the same scriptures yet denial and omission of scriptural truth is fever pitch. So when someone comes speaking truth, those who have rejected truth see these as fanatical
Thousands of interpretations = thousands of denominations [Supreme Court above ^]

Mikey1967

Thousands of interpretations = thousands of denominations [Supreme Court above ^]
Thank you for responding. What would account for this? Presuppositions? Simply not wanting it to say what it does? Is this really an interpretation issue or is it more of a heart issue?

Arch Stanton

Thank you for responding. What would account for this? Presuppositions? Simply not wanting it to say what it does? Is this really an interpretation issue or is it more of a heart issue?
both... here is an example 'This is my body' ... if you take it literally, you are probably Catholic/Orthodox. If your denomination [or the believers personal view] is the opposite, you are part of another denomination. Hope that makes sense

Mikey1967

both... here is an example 'This is my body' ... if you take it literally, you are probably Catholic/Orthodox. If your denomination [or the believers personal view] is the opposite, you are part of another denomination. Hope that makes sense
So how should we respond to those who are not walking in truth?

For example; Based on the original OP, if I were to share that I have laid hands on the dead and saw them come back to life or that I laid hands on stage 4 cancer victim and they were completely healed without any treatment, even though scripture states that the Christian "who believes" will do this, there are those who profess to be of Christ will think I am lying or have lost my mind. They will reject the scriptures and instead lord their experience or lack thereof over the bible.

So how should those who do believe and walk in the truth respond to those who reject the truth?

Arch Stanton

So how should we respond to those who are not walking in truth?

For example; Based on the original OP, if I were to share that I have laid hands on the dead and saw them come back to life or that I laid hands on stage 4 cancer victim and they were completely healed without any treatment, even though scripture states that the Christian "who believes" will do this, there are those who profess to be of Christ will think I am lying or have lost my mind. They will reject the scriptures and instead lord their experience or lack thereof over the bible.

So how should those who do believe and walk in the truth respond to those who reject the truth?
now I am confused.... it would help if you told me your religion, denomination, beliefs