Twisted and very bad interpretations of Scripture.

Theo1689

I think it would be beneficial, on a tangential level, to compile a list of Scripture passages which as completely MANGLED by Mormons, as a witness to Christians as to how far off from reality Mormonism really is.

The irony is that Mormonism does not have a "commentary" where they walk through each verse of the Bible, and explain what each verse means (where Christians have an ABUNDANCE of such useful resources, such as Matthew Henry, Albert Barnes, Adam Clarke, Charles Hodge, Jamieson Fausset and Brown, John Calvin, John Wesley, etc. etc.), and the few passages they actually CLAIM to give interpretation to are way out of whack:

1) "gods many and lords many" (1 Cor. 8:5). This verse is CLEARLY about "idols", and Paul just proclaimed monotheism in the previous verse (8:4), as well as expanding on the Sh'ma in 8:6.

2) "no ... private interpretation" (2 Pet. 1:20). While Mormons use this to try to argue that Scripture can't be properly understood by the layman ("no private interpretation"), but needs a "prophet" or someone with the "keys" to tell us what it means. But if you read this in CONTEXT, this is Peter PROCLAIMING how reliable Scripture is, and he is telling us that the source is not the prophet's "private interpretation", but what we read is from God, not merely the opinion of a Bible author.

This one I just came across today, and found it in "Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual", Chapter 28, "Celestial Marriage". To try to defend the idea of "marriage for ... eternity", the Manual quotes the following:

3) "Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord." (1 Cor. 11:11). But this is not about the "endpoint" of humans, or about "marriage", it's about the ORIGIN of man and woman, how neither is independent of the other. Woman was created from man's side, and so is not independent of him. Likewise, every man is born of a woman, and so is not independent of her.

As another translation (ESV) puts it:

1 Cor. 11:7 For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 9 Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; 12 for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God.

I guess this next one counts as well, as Mormons use Phil. 2 to try to argue that we should have a "mindset" of becoming gods, since Jesus (allegedly) had that same mindset:

4) Phil. 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

But there are two drastic errors here, based on (1) a poor wording of the verse, and (1) ignoring the context). Here is how it reads in the ESV:

Phil. 2:1 So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, 2 complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

HUMILITY.

4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,

Notice the similarity between "robbery" (KJV) and "grasping" (ESV).
And this is NEGATED.
We should NOT want to "grasp" the status of "being equal to God".

7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

"empty himself"... HUMILITY.
"taking the form of a servant" ... HUMILITY.
"[God] born in the likeness of men" ... HUMILITY.

Notice how it makes ZERO sense for Mormons to quote the KJV which says, "thought it not robbery to be equal to God, so we're going to empty ourself"?

8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself

HUMILITY.

... by becoming obedient to the point of death, ...

HUMILITY.

... even death on a cross.

HUMILITY.

9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, ...

HUMILITY.

11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

He is Lord, and we are not.

He is our Lord. We are His servants.

HUMILITY.

Is it fair to say that this entire passage is about "humility", rather than aspirations to "godhood"?

So there you have it...
That's off the top of my head, as well as the one I stumbled on today.

Does anyone else have others to add to the list?
TIA!

Bonnie

How about the verses that say that Moses died and God buried him? Mormonism teaches that Moses didn't die but God "translated" him to heaven, or something similar.

Deut. 32:

Moses to Die on Mount Nebo​

48 On that same day the Lord told Moses, 49 “Go up into the Abarim Range to Mount Nebo in Moab, across from Jericho, and view Canaan, the land I am giving the Israelites as their own possession. 50 There on the mountain that you have climbed you will die and be gathered to your people, just as your brother Aaron died on Mount Hor and was gathered to his people.

Well, we know that Aaron physically died, and here, God tells Moses that he, too, will die, just as Aaron did. To continue:

Deut. 34:

5 And Moses the servant of the Lord died there in Moab, as the Lord had said. 6 He buried him[a] in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is. 7 Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone. 8 The Israelites grieved for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days, until the time of weeping and mourning was over.

But I have been told these verses just mean that God took Moses out of the way, so he was seen no more. Different definition of "died" and "buried" than I grew up with!

Joshua 1 has God telling Joshua that "Moses my servant is dead.' But I guess that doesn't mean "dead" either, but "taken out of the way."

It is astonishing the mental gymnastics those in Mormonism must go through, to keep their 'testimony' of their church and deny the clear words of Scripture.

Bonnie

Another instance when Mormons twist scripture is Genesis 2 says that God created man from the dust of the earth. I have been told by a certain Mormon on here that that story is ridiculous, that God didn't "play" in the dirt to make man. Yet their own BoM says God created man from the dust of the earth and so does the Pearl book, in the book of Moses:

Moses 3:

7 And I, the Lord God, formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul, the first flesh upon the earth, the first man also; nevertheless, all things were before created; but spiritually were they created and made according to my word.

I will later on put down the verses from the BoM that say God created man from the dust. I don't have time right now.

Okay, Jacob 2:25 says that "all flesh is of the dust" and Mosiah 2:21 says that "all men were created from the dust of the earth."

Mormon 9:17 says that by the power of His word, God created man "of the dust of the earth." Mosiah 2:25 says "yet ye were created of the dust of the earth." Alma says in chapter 42:2 that Adam and Eve were driven from Eden "to till the ground from whence they were taken..." So "ground" here, i.e., dust, cannot be taken as symbolic, since "ground" here is the same stuff under our feet that we grow food from, that Adam tilled to grow food.

But these verses are just "symbolic" I was told.

Last edited:

Theo1689

Another instance when Mormons twist scripture is Genesis 2 says that God created man from the dust of the earth. I have been told by a certain Mormon on here that that story is ridiculous, that God didn't "play" in the dirt to make man.

Yeah, I prefer published and citable accounts, either in LDS books/magazines, or used by MANY Mormons, rather than just one-off's.

For instance, there was a Mormon poster named Zakuska, long ago, either here or on a Mormon discussion forum, that used the following to try to argue for "heavenly grandfather":

Rev. 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

"See? Heavenly Father has a Father of his own!" Of course, it's a ridiculous interpretation, being easily understood even without modern translations:

Rev. 1:6 and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. (ESV)

"God IS our Father!"

And I think it was the same poster who tried to argue "God was once a man" with the following:

Ex. 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

Compare:

Ex. 15:3 The LORD is a warrior — the LORD is his name. (NET)

I've always thought these arguments were silly, and not attempts at serious argument.

The Prophet

Jesus laid aside his equality, wealth, Joy and Glory with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit and humbled himself to the form of a servant .

”Who although being essentially one with God and in the Form of God {possessing the fullness of the attributes which make GOD GOD} did not think this equality with God was a thing to be grasped or retained.” Philippians 2:6 Amplified version

“For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.” 2 Cor. 8:9

Hebrews 12

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

In the original language “for the joy” means “he exchanged Joy for Shame”.

John 17

Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

Thank you, Jesus, for coming down from your throne in heaven where you were the Almighty God, “EL SHADDAI”, The Great I AM creator of all things in heaven and earth, visible and invisible, thrones, dominions, and principalities and powers, the galaxy, constellations, the cosmos everything created you created . You were rich yet you became poor. You were Almighty yet you emptied yourself and became a humble servant, you exchanged joy for sorrow , sorrow by dying a shameful death on a cross as a criminal even thou you had no sin , Jesus you laid aside your Glory with God the Father and Holy Spirit . Jesus you should have been born as a King in an opulent palace, instead of a servant in a stable in a manager. Thank you, Jesus for your sacrifice

Luke 2:51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.

It's interesting how Jesus The Almighty God the creator of everything that exist both in heaven and earth humbled himself to a point where he was obedient to Mary and Joseph one of the poorest couples in the world he created and he washed the feet of the disciples something done by gentile slaves only, Jewish slaves were exempt from this humble service. Jesus was also a “Nazarene” carries with it an allusion to those prophecies which speak of Christ as “despised of men” (Isa. 53:3)

Colossians 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

1 Corinthians 8:6

yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.

Ephesians 3:9 — and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ;

Rev 3: 14 “To the angel (divine messenger) of the church in Laodicea write: “These are the words of the Amen, the trusted and faithful and true Witness, the Beginning and Origin of God’s creation:

Isaiah 44:24

Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

Malachi 2;10

Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us?

Mosiah 3:8 And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary.

Helaman 14:12 And also that ye might know of the coming of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and of earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and that ye might know of the signs of his coming, to the intent that ye might believe on his name.

3 Nephi 9:15 Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God. I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning. I am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his name.

Bonnie

Yeah, I prefer published and citable accounts, either in LDS books/magazines, or used by MANY Mormons, rather than just one-off's.

For instance, there was a Mormon poster named Zakuska, long ago, either here or on a Mormon discussion forum, that used the following to try to argue for "heavenly grandfather":

Rev. 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

"See? Heavenly Father has a Father of his own!" Of course, it's a ridiculous interpretation, being easily understood even without modern translations:

Rev. 1:6 and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. (ESV)

"God IS our Father!"

And I think it was the same poster who tried to argue "God was once a man" with the following:

Ex. 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

Compare:

Ex. 15:3 The LORD is a warrior — the LORD is his name. (NET)

I've always thought these arguments were silly, and not attempts at serious argument.
Apparently some Mormons have no idea what a figure of speech is.

The Prophet

Apparently some Mormons have no idea what a figure of speech is.

Notice how Joseph Smith changed Rev 1:6 in his inspired version to take out his out of context teaching below

Rev 1:6 And unto him who loved us be glory, who washed us from our sins in his own blood and hath made us kings and priests unto God, his Father. To him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. JST :)

Bonnie

Notice how Joseph Smith changed Rev 1:6 in his inspired version to take out his out of context teaching below

Rev 1:6 And unto him who loved us be glory, who washed us from our sins in his own blood and hath made us kings and priests unto God, his Father. To him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. JST :)
You mean, Smith took out the green stuff?

Theo1689

You mean, Smith took out the green stuff?

Rev. 1:6 ... and hath made us kings and priests unto God, his Father. (JST)
Rev. 1:6 ...And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; (KJV)

Smith took out the word, "and", which actually brings the verse closer to orthodoxy, and removes the Mormon misinterpretation that God has his own Father.

But even if you think the JST has the correct teaching, that is NOT the way to change the text. John put in "and" for a reason.

He was emphasizing that God is both Jesus' God AND Father.

Bonnie

Rev. 1:6 ... and hath made us kings and priests unto God, his Father. (JST)
Rev. 1:6 ...And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; (KJV)

Smith took out the word, "and", which actually brings the verse closer to orthodoxy, and removes the Mormon misinterpretation that God has his own Father.

But even if you think the JST has the correct teaching, that is NOT the way to change the text. John put in "and" for a reason.

He was emphasizing that God is both Jesus' God AND Father.
Oh, I see....the NASB has "HIS God and Father." That change is small potatoes, compared to what Smith did to some other places in the Bible, completely changing the meaning in some verses.

The Prophet

Oh, I see....the NASB has "HIS God and Father." That change is small potatoes, compared to what Smith did to some other places in the Bible, completely changing the meaning in some verses.
Sounds like Joseph Smith taught his translation was inferior to The King James :)

Joseph Smith's Sermon on Plurality of Gods

(as printed in History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 473-479)

President Joseph Smith read the 3rd chapter of Revelation, and took for his text 1st chapter, 6th verse—"And hath made us kings and priests unto God and His Father: to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

It is altogether correct in the translation. Now, you know that of late some malicious and corrupt men have sprung up and apostatized from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and they declare that the Prophet believes in a plurality of Gods, and, lo and behold! we have discovered a very great secret, they cry—"The Prophet says there are many Gods, and this proves that he has fallen."

Bonnie

Sounds like Joseph Smith taught his translation was inferior to The King James :)

Joseph Smith's Sermon on Plurality of Gods

(as printed in History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 473-479)

President Joseph Smith read the 3rd chapter of Revelation, and took for his text 1st chapter, 6th verse—"And hath made us kings and priests unto God and His Father: to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

It is altogether correct in the translation. Now, you know that of late some malicious and corrupt men have sprung up and apostatized from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and they declare that the Prophet believes in a plurality of Gods, and, lo and behold! we have discovered a very great secret, they cry—"The Prophet says there are many Gods, and this proves that he has fallen."
Interesting...what comes after the "fallen"? Because those supposedly "Malicious and corrupt men" were RIGHT!