UFO's

CrowCross

What are the UFO's?

Man made aircraft? If they are man made aircraft were they made from mans advancement of technology or were they reversed engineered from alien spacecrafts? If they were made from alien spacecraft did the aliens help or did man figure it out by them selves?

Are the UFO's from another planet?

Are the UFO's from another dimension?

Are the UFO's coming from a base on earth somewhere?

Are the UFO's made and flown by angels or fallen angel technology?

Are the UFO's simply weather balloons, planets, anomalies etc.?

Are the UFO's something else?

Mr Laurier

What are the UFO's?

*snip*

You nailed it here. clouds, drunken hallucinations, misidentified aircraft, stars seen by people who have never looked up before, etc etc.

CrowCross

You nailed it here. clouds, drunken hallucinations, misidentified aircraft, stars seen by people who have never looked up before, etc etc.
Recently in the news we have seen videos of the Tic-Tacs. We know they were not clouds or observed by drunken pilots hallucinating nor were they stars....from your list the only explaination is "misidentified aircraft". Perhaps you can suggest another. If so what are the Tic-Tacs?

Mr Laurier

Recently in the news we have seen videos of the Tic-Tacs. We know they were not clouds or observed by drunken pilots hallucinating nor were they stars....from your list the only explaination is "misidentified aircraft". Perhaps you can suggest another. If so what are the Tic-Tacs?
The only Tic-Tacs I know of, are the little white breath candy that some people use

CrowCross

Looks like a lot of quick jumping to the "space aliens" explanation , without bothering to look deeper.
Alas, I dont follow conspiracy fantasy.
Thank you foryour opinion. I simply presented several options with the hopes others would reply and present what they think.

Whateverman

Thank you foryour opinion. I simply presented several options with the hopes others would reply and present what they think.
I avoided this thread because the topic tends to degrade quickly. However, I've been fascinated by UFOs since I was a little kid, so to help keep the thread moving, I'll add my thoughts:

If the reports about UFO behaviors - taken as a whole - are accurate, they represent compelling evidence of the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence. To be sure, some of the reports from the last hundred years are mundane, or hoaxes, or misunderstandings of natural phenomena (et al). Nevertheless, there seem to be a large number of them that describe behaviors that modern science is incapable of understanding, and the best modern technology is nowhere close to duplicating.

I dislike (intensely) the way many people lump UFOs in with things like ghosts, big foot, chupacabras, abductions, etc. People who do this seem more interested in getting excited about the unknown than in actually understanding what UFOs are. Smaller UFO footage (like the declassified Navy tic-tac videos) make me wary; it's much easier to make something small behave improbably than it is to make something big do the same. For example, there's a well-documented encounter of a passenger aircraft "menaced" by a very large object near Alaska several years ago; the Rendelsham Forest encounter with the military is pretty compelling. There are dozens of such stories - often with witnesses - in which large objects behaving strangely interacted with human beings (and I'm not talking about abductions).

I suspect there's SOMETHING genuine about the phenomenon taken as a whole. I'm not ready to attribute motives or causes beyond this, though.

Temujin

I avoided this thread because the topic tends to degrade quickly. However, I've been fascinated by UFOs since I was a little kid, so to help keep the thread moving, I'll add my thoughts:

If the reports about UFO behaviors - taken as a whole - are accurate, they represent compelling evidence of the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence. To be sure, some of the reports from the last hundred years are mundane, or hoaxes, or misunderstandings of natural phenomena (et al). Nevertheless, there seem to be a large number of them that describe behaviors that modern science is incapable of understanding, and the best modern technology is nowhere close to duplicating.

I dislike (intensely) the way many people lump UFOs in with things like ghosts, big foot, chupacabras, abductions, etc. People who do this seem more interested in getting excited about the unknown than in actually understanding what UFOs are. Smaller UFO footage (like the declassified Navy tic-tac videos) make me wary; it's much easier to make something small behave improbably than it is to make something big do the same. For example, there's a well-documented encounter of a passenger aircraft "menaced" by a very large object near Alaska several years ago; the Rendelsham Forest encounter with the military is pretty compelling. There are dozens of such stories - often with witnesses - in which large objects behaving strangely interacted with human beings (and I'm not talking about abductions).

I suspect there's SOMETHING genuine about the phenomenon taken as a whole. I'm not ready to attribute motives or causes beyond this, though.
People report UFOs these days in the same way that they used to report witches, werewolves and succubi. It's a cultural phenomenon. The sort of person who in the past was deduced by a succubus is today abducted by aliens. I'm afraid that I can give no credence to the idea at all. Any alien capable of defying the laws of physics as we know them would not waste their time hiding from us. Like God, if they are not prepared to announce their presence unequivocally to us all, then I am not prepared to believe they exist.

Whateverman

Any alien capable of defying the laws of physics as we know them would not waste their time hiding from us.
This single sentence is a point worth debating.

Regardless of whether UFO reports are evidence of extraterrestrials, and regardless of whether intelligent life exists somewhere other than on this planet - I believe that you're wrong. Intelligent life capable of breaking what we think of as the "laws of physics" have very good reasons to hide from us.

Despite our technology, we're still a fairly barbaric species, mired in superstition and mythology, and prone to letting those things direct our efforts. It would take very little effort to destroy what we think of as human society today: a technologically-superior species makes unambiguous contact with us, which would trigger wars, social unrest, and religious idolatry.

I believe firmly that the only way for a truly intelligent extra-terrestrial species to make safe contact with us is to spend a few centuries slowly getting us used to the idea that intelligent life (capable of "breaking the laws of physics) exists elsewhere.

Do you really think if a UFO began hovering over the white house (or parliament, et al) that it would NOT be seen as a military threat?

Temujin

This single sentence is a point worth debating.

Regardless of whether UFO reports are evidence of extraterrestrials, and regardless of whether intelligent life exists somewhere other than on this planet - I believe that you're wrong. Intelligent life capable of breaking what we think of as the "laws of physics" have very good reasons to hide from us.

Despite our technology, we're still a fairly barbaric species, mired in superstition and mythology, and prone to letting those things direct our efforts. It would take very little effort to destroy what we think of as human society today: a technologically-superior species makes unambiguous contact with us, which would trigger wars, social unrest, and religious idolatry.

I believe firmly that the only way for a truly intelligent extra-terrestrial species to make safe contact with us is to spend a few centuries slowly getting us used to the idea that intelligent life (capable of "breaking the laws of physics) exists elsewhere.

Do you really think if a UFO began hovering over the white house (or parliament, et al) that it would NOT be seen as a military threat?
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I was on" vacation". If you are right, and you may well be, then it is a peculiar tactic to manifest only to odd people who most find unbelievable, using flashing lights or other ambiguous signals, in a similar manner to the apparent manifestations of witches, vampires and succubi. There are much better ways of signalling presence, such as unambiguous messages visible to astronomy. "We are coming. You will find us orbiting Jupiter. Come and join us." would have the desired effect without being threatening. The current alleged sightings are potentially a cause of conflict precisely because of their ambiguity.

JNelson

What are the UFO's?

Man made aircraft? If they are man made aircraft were they made from mans advancement of technology or were they reversed engineered from alien spacecrafts? If they were made from alien spacecraft did the aliens help or did man figure it out by them selves?

Are the UFO's from another planet?

Are the UFO's from another dimension?

Are the UFO's coming from a base on earth somewhere?

Are the UFO's made and flown by angels or fallen angel technology?

They’re top secret military aircrafts recorded obscure videos to keep the masses fooled and distracted.

Whateverman

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I was on" vacation". If you are right, and you may well be, then it is a peculiar tactic to manifest only to odd people who most find unbelievable, using flashing lights or other ambiguous signals, in a similar manner to the apparent manifestations of witches, vampires and succubi. There are much better ways of signalling presence, such as unambiguous messages visible to astronomy. "We are coming. You will find us orbiting Jupiter. Come and join us." would have the desired effect without being threatening. The current alleged sightings are potentially a cause of conflict precisely because of their ambiguity.
I, too, have returned from a week-long hiatus, which is why I'm late in responding.

Yes, there's a valid stereotype of the kind of people who often report UFO sightings. Yes, this stereotype is more than sufficient for being skeptical of the extraterrestrial component of the phenomenon.

I would just say that this stereotype obscures the fact that there are many somewhat-credible accounts which come from people who don't meet the stereotype. The days in which aliens land in some farmer's field in the middle of nowhere are largely gone; we now have documented sightings being reported by aircraft pilots and even entire towns.

If tomorrow we were contacted by an alien intelligence asking us to come meet with it in orbit around Jupiter, don't you think this would cause chaos and potentially violence? Countries would race to get there first; media pundits would use it to further their well-established agendas; religious communities would either embrace it or bemoan Satan's machinations.

When humans try to investigate some newly discovered form of life, we approach that life differently depending on how intelligent we think it is. A pride of striped gorillas would be treated very carefully, being observed by us with as little interference as possible. Humanity has seen what happens when we stumble into a village of jungle natives that we're completely ignorant of, and start asking questions. We've irreparably damaged (or at least changed) some of them in ways we did not predict.

Temujin

I, too, have returned from a week-long hiatus, which is why I'm late in responding.

Yes, there's a valid stereotype of the kind of people who often report UFO sightings. Yes, this stereotype is more than sufficient for being skeptical of the extraterrestrial component of the phenomenon.

I would just say that this stereotype obscures the fact that there are many somewhat-credible accounts which come from people who don't meet the stereotype. The days in which aliens land in some farmer's field in the middle of nowhere are largely gone; we now have documented sightings being reported by aircraft pilots and even entire towns.

If tomorrow we were contacted by an alien intelligence asking us to come meet with it in orbit around Jupiter, don't you think this would cause chaos and potentially violence? Countries would race to get there first; media pundits would use it to further their well-established agendas; religious communities would either embrace it or bemoan Satan's machinations.

When humans try to investigate some newly discovered form of life, we approach that life differently depending on how intelligent we think it is. A pride of striped gorillas would be treated very carefully, being observed by us with as little interference as possible. Humanity has seen what happens when we stumble into a village of jungle natives that we're completely ignorant of, and start asking questions. We've irreparably damaged (or at least changed) some of them in ways we did not predict.
You make a good case. For me though the frequency of fraud or idiocy, the similarity to claims of succubi or witches in previous ages, combined with the unlikelihood of interstellar travel, is enough for me to discount these reports.

I may feel differently when I have finished rereading the Uplift trilogy, which I started last night.