Ukraine strikes back

Ukraine stops Russian gas Flowing to Europe Through Key Pipeline WSJ (5/11/2022)

"
Ukraine reduced flows of Russian natural gas through its territory to Europe, introducing a new threat to the energy security of a continent already racing to sever its dependence on Russian fossil fuels.

The company that runs Ukraine’s pipeline network halted the flow of gas through a major entry point in the east of the country Wednesday, blaming interference by Russian troops with critical gas infrastructure. The border crossing accounts for a third of Russian gas exports through Ukraine to Europe and feeds 3% of the European Union’s overall gas consumption.

"

I believe that I expressed my thoughts about this strategy on this thread...somewhere.

( Stocks tied to companies that produce LNG might be an idea worth investigating at this time - perhaps )

___

Ukraine stops Russian gas Flowing to Europe Through Key Pipeline WSJ (5/11/2022)

"
Ukraine reduced flows of Russian natural gas through its territory to Europe, introducing a new threat to the energy security of a continent already racing to sever its dependence on Russian fossil fuels.

The company that runs Ukraine’s pipeline network halted the flow of gas through a major entry point in the east of the country Wednesday, blaming interference by Russian troops with critical gas infrastructure. The border crossing accounts for a third of Russian gas exports through Ukraine to Europe and feeds 3% of the European Union’s overall gas consumption.

"

I believe that I expressed my thoughts about this strategy on this thread...somewhere.

( Stocks tied to companies that produce LNG might be an idea worth investigating at this time - perhaps )

___
Perhaps? If that's supposed to be a conviction recommendation you may want to reword it. For the record I think your reasoning is sound.

Jerusalem Post (5/11/2022)

Ukraine gives Russia's Vladimir Putin the finger - opinion​

"
Zelensky has given a new meaning to reality television, meeting with reporters and speaking by video link to the United Nations, US Congress and the Knesset, while Putin remains isolated and issuing threatening diatribes.

Zelensky has shown it is possible to go from television performer to hero president and not just be a bombastic buffoon in an ill-fitting suit. Perhaps, the thin-skinned Putin recalls how the former comedian used to ridicule him and other Russian politicians.

One of Putin’s excuses for the invasion was the denazification of Ukraine. When it was pointed out that Zelensky is Jewish, had lost family members in the Holocaust and was democratically elected by over 70% of the vote, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said (falsely) that didn’t matter and he’s still a Nazi, because Hitler also “had Jewish blood.”

"

The whole opinion is a fun and quick read. ?

____

Road of death - Wall Street Journal (5/12/2022)

"Dozens of Ukrainian civilians were killed on one four-mile stretch of road outside Kyiv during the month of March. A WSJ analysis of videos, photos and social media posts reveals how Russian forces positioned themselves around the road to fire on and kidnap fleeing civilians. Photo illustration: Laura Kammermann"

Yes - the Russians are targeting civilians. :mad:

___

Reuters (5/12/2022)

Russia threatens to retaliate as Finland seeks NATO membership without delay

"
  • Finland wants security after Russian invasion of Ukraine
  • Sweden expected to follow suit in bid to join alliance
  • Ukraine forces aim to cut Russian battlefield supply lines
HELSINKI/KHARKIV, Ukraine, May 12 (Reuters) - Finland said on Thursday it would apply to join NATO "without delay", with Sweden expected to follow, as Russia's invasion of Ukraine looked set to bring about the very expansion of the Western military alliance that Vladimir Putin aimed to prevent.

"

___

Reuters (5/12/2022)

Russia threatens to retaliate as Finland seeks NATO membership without delay

"
  • Finland wants security after Russian invasion of Ukraine
  • Sweden expected to follow suit in bid to join alliance
  • Ukraine forces aim to cut Russian battlefield supply lines
HELSINKI/KHARKIV, Ukraine, May 12 (Reuters) - Finland said on Thursday it would apply to join NATO "without delay", with Sweden expected to follow, as Russia's invasion of Ukraine looked set to bring about the very expansion of the Western military alliance that Vladimir Putin aimed to prevent.

"

___
Like buying flood insurance after NOA issues a hurricane warning. Who cares, US taxpayers are picking up the bill so why not?

Like buying flood insurance after NOA issues a hurricane warning. Who cares, US taxpayers are picking up the bill so why not?

Since Finland is not a poor third world country, and many countries contribute to NATO security worldwide, monetary assistance from NATO is probably minimal here.

KEY POINTS
  • NATO membership would be a historic decision for Finland, which shares a 1,300-kilometer border with Russia.
  • Atlantic Council’s Northern Europe director Anna Weislander says both Finland and Sweden are well prepared to meet the oft-repeated political and military threats against the move by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
  • The armed forces of both countries enjoy high compatibility with NATO member states, she said.
CNBC (5/12/2022)

Russia's threat of nuclear war isn't working.
___

Is there any truth in the rumors that Putin very ill with blood cancer, and has Parkinson's disease?

___

Since Finland is not a poor third world country, and many countries contribute to NATO security worldwide, monetary assistance from NATO is probably minimal here.

KEY POINTS
  • NATO membership would be a historic decision for Finland, which shares a 1,300-kilometer border with Russia.
  • Atlantic Council’s Northern Europe director Anna Weislander says both Finland and Sweden are well prepared to meet the oft-repeated political and military threats against the move by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
  • The armed forces of both countries enjoy high compatibility with NATO member states, she said.
CNBC (5/12/2022)

Russia's threat of nuclear war isn't working.
___
Monetary assistance minimal you say? We just passed a bill for $40 billion worth of assistance to Ukraine and they're not even a NATO member. Don't tell me about forgiving the college loans of a bunch of Democrat voters! It's not fair to ask poor Republican voters to underwrite the lavish lifestyles of the Rich and famous Democrats. By the way more than half of those loans they want to forgive are for advanced degrees! They got their $40 billion for their war in Eastern Europe. They can at least say thank you!

Monetary assistance minimal you say? We just passed a bill for $40 billion worth of assistance to Ukraine and they're not even a NATO member. Don't tell me about forgiving the college loans of a bunch of Democrat voters! It's not fair to ask poor Republican voters to underwrite the lavish lifestyles of the Rich and famous Democrats. By the way more than half of those loans they want to forgive are for advanced degrees! They got their $40 billion for their war in Eastern Europe. They can at least say thank you!

...err...I was writing about Finland. Finland sends aid to Ukraine.

As far as I am aware, Finland is not asking for monetary assistance.

Yes, democrats are doing what democrats have done for decades past. Tax, tax, spend and spend. ( Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. ) :rolleyes:

____

Ukraine blows up two Russian pontoon bridges​

Another excellent video, thanks for posting. I am amazed how incompetent Russian officers are. Why in the world would they pack so many vehicles into such a small area? Around 50 vehicles were destroyed, plus who knows how many hundred Russian soldiers killed (EDIT: Forbes Magazine reports that around 1000 Russian soldiers were killed).

According to the video, American M777 howitzers are already on the front line. This is confirmed by news articles I read earlier today:

American M777 Howitzers 'Wreak Havoc' on Russian Military As Ukraine Strikes Back to Save Donbas

Watch: UAV records how M777A2 + Excalibur destroys Russian 152mm SPG

and so on.

Another excellent video, thanks for posting. I am amazed how incompetent Russian officers are. Why in the world would they pack so many vehicles into such a small area? Around 50 vehicles were destroyed, plus who knows how many hundred Russian soldiers.

According to the video, American M777 howitzers are already on the front line. This is confirmed by news articles I read earlier today:

American M777 Howitzers 'Wreak Havoc' on Russian Military As Ukraine Strikes Back to Save Donbas

Watch: UAV records how M777A2 + Excalibur destroys Russian 152mm SPG

and so on.

Quick question: Did you serve in the U.S. military?

You are correct. Spreading out keeps troops and armament intact. Even the North Vietnamese Army, and the Viet Cong understood the fundamentals in combat.

__

Quick question: Did you serve in the U.S. military?

You are correct. Spreading out keeps troops and armament intact. Even the North Vietnamese Army, and the Viet Cong understood the fundamentals in combat.

__
I'm actually a Canadian. When I graduated from university in 1981 I went to a Canadian Armed Forces recruitment center and talked to someone, but my visit confirmed my strong suspicion that I didn't have what it took to join the military.

I'm starting to think that not only will Russia lose all the ground they have gained in this war, Russia will quite possibly lose major portions and perhaps all of the Eastern Ukraine that they have occupied since 2014.

I think Crimea will remain Russian, but since the transfer of Crimea to Ukraine took place relatively recently (in 1954) I'm more or less in favour of Russia keeping Crimea (but clearly, the transfer of Crimea back to Russia should have taken place through a referendum and not a Russian invasion).

I'm actually a Canadian. When I graduated from university in 1981 I went to a Canadian Armed Forces recruitment center and talked to someone, but my visit confirmed my strong suspicion that I didn't have what it took to join the military.

I'm starting to think that not only will Russia lose all the ground they have gained in this war, Russia will quite possibly lose major portions and perhaps all of the Eastern Ukraine that they have occupied since 2014.

I think Crimea will remain Russian, but since the transfer of Crimea to Ukraine took place relatively recently (in 1954) I'm more or less in favour of Russia keeping Crimea (but clearly, the transfer of Crimea back to Russia should have taken place through a referendum and not a Russian invasion).

Got it.

I would like very much for Ukraine to take Crimea back, and Russian forces to walk, no run away in a historic defeat. Afterward - war crime trials should begin.

___

Putin drove Finland into NATO's arms: WSJ(5/13/2022)

"
RAATE ROAD, Finland—When Russian President Vladimir Putin invaded Ukraine, he sought to divide and weaken NATO. Nowhere has that strategy backfired more than in Finland.

If the Nordic country joins the North Atlantic Treaty Organization alongside Sweden in coming weeks, as expected, Mr. Putin will get a highly militarized NATO member next door. Russia’s border with NATO will more than double at the stroke of a pen, with an additional 830 miles.

"
To date, Putin's application of nuclear extortion in an attempt to change internationally recognized borders shows that the strategy isn't useful as a viable threat incentive.

___

Ukraine's president reiterates readiness to talk to Putin​

Reuters (5/13/2022)

"
  • Zelenskiy rules out compromise on territorial integrity
  • He say Ukraine will not recognise Crimea as part of Russia
  • Last face-to-face Ukraine-Russia talks were on March 29
KYIV, May 13 (Reuters) - Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has reiterated an offer to hold direct talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin, and said Russia's withdrawal from Ukraine should be the starting point for any discussions.

"

All of this is reasonable and it makes sense. Sooner is better...

___

Ukraine Launches Counteroffensive to Disrupt Russian Supply Lines​

Wall Street Journal (5/14/2022)

"

KYIV, Ukraine—Ukraine began a counteroffensive toward the eastern city of Izyum aimed at disrupting Russian supply lines into the Donbas region, officials said, as Ukrainian forces continued clearing villages north of Kharkiv and President Vladimir Putin warned his Finnish counterpart that joining NATO would risk damaging relations with Moscow.

According to the Kremlin, Mr. Putin told Finland’s President Sauli Niinistö in a phone call Saturday that ending its decadeslong nonaligned defense policy by joining the North Atlantic Treaty Organization would be a mistake for Helsinki. The Finnish leader initiated the call to explain to Mr. Putin how his invasion of Ukraine had altered the security environment, prompting Finland to seek NATO membership in the coming days.

"

__

Back