Unconditional election = arbitrary election?

squirrelyguy

In order for the doctrine of unconditional election to be truly unconditional, wouldn't it also have to be arbitrary?

G

guest1

Absolutely.

Which why there isn't such "a thing". God's choice is His Son. No one else is named. There is no other name. We will ALL BE NAMED in Him...

Eph 3:14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Eph 3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

There is great value in a name. We are His unnamed servants. The value is His. He will not share His Glory with another.
How would you reconcile that idea with the names written in the lambs book of life from eternity past ? Is not that a fixed number ?

Thanks !

ReverendRV

In order for the doctrine of unconditional election to be truly unconditional, wouldn't it also have to be arbitrary?
Unconditional Election is Unmerited Election; every Evangelical can agree Election is unmerited. The Reformers would have staved off a lot of headaches if they would have originally called it Unmerited Election...

If there is a condition for Election, then Election is Merited when the condition is met...

Last edited:

brightfame52

No, its according to Gods Purpose Rom 9:11
(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth

G

guest1

No, its according to Gods Purpose Rom 9:11
(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth
define purpose ?
define election ?
define not of works ?

G

guest1

Php 4:3 Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

I'm sure there are "known" but this is largely a metaphorical expression. How about "counted"

Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

I believe you agree that the Name of Jesus Christ is what really matters.

Php 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

The reference you appeal to in Revelation is problematic. I try never to use the Book of Revelation as a means to originate a particular thought.
Ok thanks for your response

Theo1689

Why would it?
I see no reason for it to "have to be arbitrary".

But it seems to me that you're trying to use "rationalization" to try to reject Scriptural truth.
Do you think that to be a valid methodology?

Theo1689

Unconditional Election is Unmerited Election; every Evangelical can agree Election is unmerited. The Reformers would have staved off a lot of headaches if they would have originally called it Unmerited Election...

Again, the Reformers didn't determine the terminology, since the "5 Points" didn't come out of thin air.

The "5 Points" of Calvinism were in response to the "5 Articles" of the Remonstrance.
Since the 1st Article of the Remonstrance was "conditional election" ...