Unforgiving servant, question for calvinists

Oldsaint24

The Master teaches a parable (Matt. 18:21) about a servant who had to account for a debt that he could not pay. The servant fell on his knees before the Master. The Master forgave the servant of all his debt.

Question......is the totally forgiven but unforgiving servant a spiritually alive (regenerate) child of God?

If you say yes. What becomes of him? If you say no. Where in scripture do you find an unregenerate being being forgiven all his debt because the Master had/has pity on him?

ReverendRV

The Master teaches a parable (Matt. 18:21) about a servant who had to account for a debt that he could not pay. The servant fell on his knees before the Master. The Master forgave the servant of all his debt.

Question......is the totally forgiven but unforgiving servant a spiritually alive (regenerate) child of God?

If you say yes. What becomes of him? If you say no. Where in scripture do you find an unregenerate being being forgiven all his debt because the Master had/has pity on him?
The Calvinist John Gill said the Parable is an example of Salvation, but he says the Ungrateful Servant wasn't cast into Hell but his punishment was to take place throughout his lifetime; before he died and went to Heaven...

Last edited:

preacher4truth

The parable isn't teaching a lesson about losing salvation.

Oldsaint24

The Calvinist John Gill said the Parable is an example of Salvation, but he says the Ungrateful Servant wasn't cast into Hell but his punishment was to take place throughout his lifetime; before he died and went to Heaven...
The parable isn't teaching a lesson about losing salvation.
that can't be. Jesus teaches that he cannot be released until he repays all the debt.....which he cannot do

ReverendRV

That's a good point. But it's also impossible for a Born Again Christian to lose his Salvation, or we call God a Liar. So since people who Sin like the Ungrateful Servant (people like me), their debt must be paid in their lifetime; or it defaults to their children to pay...

IE Original Sin...

preacher4truth

@Oldsaint24

Yes, I am familiar with the text, and know what it says and what it means. You're reading something into the parable that wasn't its intention.

Study the context.

We don't gain nor do we assist salvation via forgiving others after being forgiven. What did Peter ask that set off this parable?

But if you want to believe you can assist Christ in your salvation by your doing ____________ there is nothing anyone can say to show you otherwise.

Oldsaint24

@Oldsaint24

Yes, I am familiar with the text, and know what it says and what it means. You're reading something into the parable that wasn't its intention.

Study the context.

We don't gain nor do we assist salvation via forgiving others after being forgiven. What did Peter ask that set off this parable?

But if you want to believe you can assist Christ in your salvation by your doing ____________ there is nothing anyone can say to show you otherwise.
Is the unforgiving servant regenerate or unregenerate? He can only be one or the other.

preacher4truth

what becomes of the unforgiving servant? But before you answer that,,,,is the unforgiving servant a spiritually alive child of God?
I don't see the parable about him being about whether or not the servant is "going to go to heaven" or not but as a lesson on forgiving others. This is in answer to what Peter stated in the context, Matthew 18:21-22.

Those who do not forgive others bear the guilt and torment of their unforgiveness.

Do you maintain and assist Christ in your salvation by your works?

Oldsaint24

Not really true according to your take, because, with all due respect, you have him bouncing from one condition to the other based upon his performance.
No it is true.....in life or text....one is either regenerate or unregenerate. One cannot be both at the same time. I am not "bouncing" anywhere. The text is what it is. So is the unforgiving servant regenerate or unregenerate?

preacher4truth

No it is true.....in life or text....one is either regenerate or unregenerate. One cannot be both at the same time. I am not "bouncing" anywhere. The text is what it is. So is the unforgiving servant regenerate or unregenerate?
This is already tiring. I gave you the sense.

You have the person bouncing between being saved then being lostn in this parable. I believe you're now being disingenuous as this isn't about being "both at the same time" and you know it. That's not even the point. Stay on track?

It is about your mistaking the passage to be showing the servant as bouncing between being saved and then being lost. That's what you think it teaches.

Do you maintain and assist Christ in your salvation?

ReverendRV

That's a good point. But it's also impossible for a Born Again Christian to lose his Salvation, or we call God a Liar. So since people who Sin like the Ungrateful Servant (people like me), their debt must be paid in their lifetime; or it defaults to their children to pay...

IE Original Sin...

Olsaint, It's "CARM 'Pass Over' my Post" day again; but that's okay, y'all have fun...

Oldsaint24

The parable isn't ABOUT "regeneration".
The parable is about FORGIVENESS.
Is the unforgiving servant regenerate or unregenerate.......a spiritually alive child of God or an unregenerate? Seems to me it is necessary to understand which to comprehend what Jesus is teaching.