Upon this rock/Keys

Jesus didn't address the other disciples in his comments in Matthew 16. He addressed them directly to Peter.
This again! Honestly, how many times must we go over this...!

Jesus did NOT say "upon YOU Peter/Petros I will build My church..." He used the demonstrative "upon THIS Rock, I will build My church..."

"Petros" used of Peter is masculine, and means a chunk of rock, like a boulder. When He says "upon THIS Rock" the Greek word is "petra" which is feminine, and means a large, rocky massif, like El Capitain, in Yosemete National Park. Two different words. In 1 Cor. 10:24, Paul also Calls Christ the "Petra."

So no, Jesus did not build His church on a fallible human being.

Jesus built His church on Himself, the Rock, along with His disciples as the foundation, but with Himself as the Cornerstone.

To help us understand what Jesus is saying to Peter in Matthew 16 we need to put ourselves back into their times and understand it as Jesus disciples would have understood it.

The rock:

At the time of Jesus and his disciples the Ark of the Covenant was not in the Holy of Holies. The Ark of the Covenant was captured years early and never returned. So on the Day of Atonement when the high priest would enter the Holy of Holies with the blood he wasn't able to sprinkle/placed it on the Ark of the Covenant so sprinkle/placed it on the rock that was inside the temple. That rock was called the even shetiyah, the Foundation Stone. The Holy of Holies stood right above that rock. And other Jewish sources mention the rock as the place from which the creation of the world began; the axis mundi - the center of the world and the place where the physical and spiritual words connected.

The keys:

The keys of the kingdom were a sign of royal authority and were given to the prime minister during the time of David and Solomon. But the keys were not a sign of just royal authority but also priestly authority. During the time of Jesus and his disciples it was the priest who had the Temple keys. The priest was the captain of the temple, the high priest, who kept the keys to the Temple. The keys to the Temple that was kept in/under a rock, a slab of marble, in the Temple. The high priest would take the keys from the marble rock locked the gates from the inside of the Temple but the keys back in/under the marble slab, but his "mattress" over the it and sleep on the slab inside the Temple. The priest authority came to an end when the keys were given to the next priest. So the keys were understood by the Jesus, his disciples and the Jewish people of the time to be a sign of both royal authority and priestly authority.

So when Jesus said to Peter in Matthew 16, "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven", Peter and the other disciples know exactly what Jesus was saying. Jesus was giving Peter both royal authority and priestly authority for his kingdom.
Matt 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

Isa 22:22 And I will place on his shoulder the key of the house of David. He shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Catholics love to make the supposed parallel between Matt 16 and Isa 22, since thats where youre going. But there is no parallel. One says 'keys' plural and one says 'key' singular. The other major mis step here is that while there was a physical kingdom in the o.t., there isn't one in the n.t., yet! There will be but that is still in our future. And there certainly wasn't one in the first century.

John 18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”

And to suggest that Jesus is giving Peter some authority is you reading into the text. Why are the disciples arguing not two chapters later over who will be the greatest in the kingdom?

Jesus didn't address the other disciples in his comments in Matthew 16. He addressed them directly to Peter.

Jesus did NOT say "upon you Peter/Petros I will build My church..." He used the demonstrative "upon THIS Rock, I will build My church..."

"Petros" used of Peter is masculine, and means a chunk of rock, like a boulder. When He says "upon THIS Rock" the Greek word is "petra" which is feminine, and means a large, rocky massif, like El Capitain, in Yosemete National Park. Two different words.

Jesus built His church on Himself, the Rock, along with His disciples as the foundation, but with Himself as the Cornerstone. Not on just Peter.

Jesus did NOT say "upon you Peter/Petros I will build My church..." He used the demonstrative "upon THIS Rock, I will build My church..."

"Petros" used of Peter is masculine, and means a chunk of rock, like a boulder. When He says "upon THIS Rock" the Greek word is "petra" which is feminine, and means a large, rocky massif, like El Capitain, in Yosemete National Park. Two different words.

Jesus built His church on Himself, the Rock, along with His disciples as the foundation, but with Himself as the Cornerstone. Not on just Peter.
No, if you look at the passage, the ot and the Jewish mindset/understanding at the time it is very clear that Jesus is giving authority to Peter.

Yes it does say that. But in Matthew 16 Jesus is addressing Peter. Peter is the "head" authority.
RCs have no understanding of what those keys mean at all. The Jewish people saw them as protecting the scriptures, your institution hasn't done that. It has added to scripture, taken away/ignored scripture and goes beyond scripture. The other thing is discipline well your institution does nothing about most evil priests. It ignores 1 Cor 5:11.

The very actions of your institution over the centuries prove it does not have the keys. It has the keys to hell, it has blind guides.

No, if you look at the passage, the ot and the Jewish mindset/understanding at the time it is very clear that Jesus is giving authority to Peter.
Yep did, I have done Jewish studies and read scripture. Peter has no more authority than any other believer. Your false teachers have none what so ever.

Ps 118:22

The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief corner stone.

Who was rejected?

Ps 18:2

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

1 Cor 10:4

And all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.

1 Sam 2:2

There is none holy like the Lord; there is none besides you; there is no rock like our God.

1 Cor 3:11

For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

So we know from scriptures that Jesus and God are the rock, Jesus is both the foundation and cornerstone. There is only one verse which you misinterpret to Peter being the rock. No other piece of scripture to support that false belief. But plenty that support Jesus as the rock. You need to use the whole of scripture to interpret scripture.

This is a blessing to know because that alone proves rc teachings are false. Which proves they do not the keys we know they are not Peter's successors just look at the leaders - they lie, they harm the flock, they teach false doctrines, they refuse to discipline the leaders who go astray, they refuse to ensure the leaders meet biblical standards. They do not protect the scriptures they add to them etc.

You can be honest about your source for your material and you show no understanding/mindset of the time.

Let us look at who Peter sees as the rock, it is not himself at all.

1 Peter 2

As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him— 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For in Scripture it says:

“See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
will never be put to shame.”
7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,

“The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone,”
8 and,

“A stone that causes people to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall.”...
9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light

If you are really interested in knowing the truth you can check out what I posted; it's not hard to do.
If you quote someone you need to acknowledge it and say where you got it. We all know from what is written that it is not your writings. It is not hard to do to acknowledge your source, otherwise it is called plagiarism. It still doesn't make it Peter the rock with the keys.

Back