US Catching Up!

The Pixie

America is catching up with the rest of the developed counties, and now most Americans accept evolution, according to a study here.

Better educated Americans tend to accept evolution, while religious fundamentalist tend to reject it. Why knew?

Examining data over 35 years, the study consistently identified aspects of education—civic science literacy, taking college courses in science and having a college degree—as the strongest factors leading to the acceptance of evolution.
According to a 2005 study of the acceptance of evolution in 34 developed nations, led by Miller, only Turkey, at 27%, scored lower than the United States. But over the last decade, until 2019, the percentage of American adults who agreed with this statement increased from 40% to 54%.
The current study consistently identified religious fundamentalism as the strongest factor leading to the rejection of evolution.

Komodo

America is catching up with the rest of the developed counties, and now most Americans accept evolution, according to a study here.

Better educated Americans tend to accept evolution, while religious fundamentalist tend to reject it. Why knew?

Examining data over 35 years, the study consistently identified aspects of education—civic science literacy, taking college courses in science and having a college degree—as the strongest factors leading to the acceptance of evolution.
According to a 2005 study of the acceptance of evolution in 34 developed nations, led by Miller, only Turkey, at 27%, scored lower than the United States. But over the last decade, until 2019, the percentage of American adults who agreed with this statement increased from 40% to 54%.
The current study consistently identified religious fundamentalism as the strongest factor leading to the rejection of evolution.
Just to clarify, when the writer says "the percentage of American adults who agreed with this statement increased from 40% to 54%, the statement was "Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals."

I don't know if they break it down further; sometimes surveys give a choice between "...with God assisting in the process" and "...entirely by natural processes."

The Pixie

So more people are anti-science - LOL
No, quite the reverse. The trend is at least partly attributed to people being better educated about science.

Also worth noting the correlation between creationists, anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers. It is all anti-science.

Cody

Why is this surprising? Most colleges promote a secular worldview. The majority of students cannot resist that kind of brainwashing. I'd bet most college students also believe there are 15 genders and that the world will be under water in 5 years.

CrowCross

Why is this surprising? Most colleges promote a secular worldview. The majority of students cannot resist that kind of brainwashing. I'd bet most college students also believe there are 15 genders and that the world will be under water in 5 years.
I wonder how many genders of "ape" there are.

Arkycharlie

I can only speak for myself, but my rejection of abiogenesis and evolution is most certainly not anti-science based. Scientific progress in the past 60 years or so has effectively provided a rock solid basis for rejecting naturalism as having the capacity to produce this world, as we know it today. That is an absurd proposition!

The mathematical challenges to abiogenesis and evolution raised at the 1966 Wistar Symposium in Philadelphia in 1966 have increased exponentially in the last 55 years as our knowledge of the sheer complexity of life has indelibly altered the playing field. Truthfully, the theories of abiogenesis and evolution exist mostly as narratives rather than peer reviewed science. Any other field of science with the paucity of evidence gathered over the past 160 years (since Darwin proposed his theory) would be laughable.

Nouveau

I can only speak for myself, but my rejection of abiogenesis and evolution is most certainly not anti-science based. Scientific progress in the past 60 years or so has effectively provided a rock solid basis for rejecting naturalism as having the capacity to produce this world, as we know it today. That is an absurd proposition!

The mathematical challenges to abiogenesis and evolution raised at the 1966 Wistar Symposium in Philadelphia in 1966 have increased exponentially in the last 55 years as our knowledge of the sheer complexity of life has indelibly altered the playing field. Truthfully, the theories of abiogenesis and evolution exist mostly as narratives rather than peer reviewed science. Any other field of science with the paucity of evidence gathered over the past 160 years (since Darwin proposed his theory) would be laughable.
That's ridiculous.

Whateverman

I can only speak for myself, but my rejection of abiogenesis and evolution is most certainly not anti-science based. Scientific progress in the past 60 years or so has effectively provided a rock solid basis for rejecting naturalism as having the capacity to produce this world, as we know it today.
Please summarize that science for the rest of us...

The Pixie

Why is this surprising? Most colleges promote a secular worldview. ...
Sure, because that is what the evidence points to. Over 99% of biologists accept evolution, including a huge number of Christian biologists.

The majority of students cannot resist that kind of brainwashing.
The brainwashing occurs when they are children, and told the Bible is true. It is children under ten who are susceptible to conditioning, not 18 to 25 year olds, who are rather more likely to rebel against authority.

This is why kids raised in a Christian household generally become Christians, while those raised in a Muslim household become Muslims, etc.

CrowCross

To add to that in a different light...as we understand what happens inside of a cell, the complexity and sophistication screams there was an intelligent designer.

How does an assembly line inside of a cell produce a "part" that is used in another assembly line to make an organelle?

Arkycharlie

Please summarize that science for the rest of us...
So you're telling me that you're basically unaware of the numerous challenges to abiogenesis and evolution raised by credentialed scientists who reject naturalistic explanations for life as we have come to understand it?

Arkycharlie

To add to that in a different light...as we understand what happens inside of a cell, the complexity and sophistication screams there was an intelligent designer.

How does an assembly line inside of a cell produce a "part" that is used in another assembly line to make an organelle?
That's certainly one example of exactly the kind of evidence that I was referring to!

Mr Laurier

I'll take that bet.
How does an even grand sound?

Cody

Sure, because that is what the evidence points to.
Do you believe that whales used to walk on land? Do you think there is evidence that supports this?
Over 99% of biologists accept evolution, including a huge number of Christian biologists.
Even if that were true, who cares? The majority has been wrong plenty of times throughout history.
The brainwashing occurs when they are children, and told the Bible is true. It is children under ten who are susceptible to conditioning,
These same kids are constantly learning secular perspectives from the media, school, government, entertainment, etc.
not 18 to 25 year olds, who are rather more likely to rebel against authority.
Yeah, college students are really motivated to rebel against teachers who determine whether they graduate or not.
This is why kids raised in a Christian household generally become Christians, while those raised in a Muslim household become Muslims, etc.
This is not brainwashing. Well, Muslims do have some issues...

Cody

I'll take that bet.
How does an even grand sound?
I am not sure how this could be proved. I know that most college students are liberal. That can be shown through statistics. And liberals typically vote for the candidates who believe that men can become pregnant.

Whatsisface

Why is this surprising?
It isn't surprising that education leads to an understanding of what science is about.
Most colleges promote a secular worldview. The majority of students cannot resist that kind of brainwashing. I'd bet most college students also believe there are 15 genders and that the world will be under water in 5 years.
What undermines your point is that there are very many christians who accept evolution.