Vatican's message to Buddhists puts Christ and Buddha on the same level

Again, we can use Paul as our example when dealing with pagans. He actually attempted to find a little common ground between him and the Athenians, when he quoted a couple of their own poets and applied what they wrote to the true God. I think that is what Francis was attempting to do, but I think he went a little too far, as JPII did, when he kissed the Quran.
I guess I can agree to a certain extent, but the situation is quite different as compared to the one Paul was in. It should be noted that he did not praise the religion of the Athenians. He did not say anything like "When you worship Zeus, you are actually worshiping the creator of the world who has now revealed himself to mankind." If he would have done that, he would have basically told them a big lie. I completely reject the idea, which is proposed on a regular basis, that the worship of idols is an expression of man's longing after/searching for God. Paul himself states in no ambiguous terms that the idols of the pagans are in reality demons (1 Cor. 10:20). He even calls Satan "the god of this world" (2 Cor. 4:4).

By God's providence, there was an altar in Athens with the inscription "To an unknown god," to which he could connect the message of the Gospel. But he never went so far as to flatter their religion. And that is the problem with "pope" Francis' message. He speaks well of the rituals of Buddhism without so much as indicating that they are heading in the wrong direction. The Gospel is not served by such an attitude. Souls are not won for Christ by flattering people and their customs. If anything, the Gospel should initially crush and disillusion our egos. Christ is the Savior of lost sinners and not the righteous.

Oh for Pete's sake....

What would have the pope do? Tell them they better give up their false pagan views and convert or burn in Hell forever?
That's EXACTLY what a CHRISTIAN LEADER like Paul would do. Present Jesus Christ, and Him Crucified.

In accepting Buddhism as anything other than a WORTHLESS RELIGIOUS SYSTEM which can ONLY condemn its uncleansed victims to an eternity of SUFFERING in the lake of fire, Bergoglio is effectively damning a large percentage of humanity by withholding the message of the Gospel from them purposely.

It's UNBELIEVEABLE to me that a supposed "Christian" would PURPOSELY WITHHOLD THE ONLY NAME UNDER HEAVEN whereby man can be saved, from pagan people who desperately NEED THAT MESSAGE.

In accepting Buddhism as anything other than a WORTHLESS RELIGIOUS SYSTEM which can ONLY condemn its uncleansed victims to an eternity of SUFFERING in the lake of fire, Bergoglio is effectively damning a large percentage of humanity by withholding the message of the Gospel from them purposely.

Catholics is sharing the Roman Catholic gospel: be a "good" person and you too can earn eternal life, regardless of what you believe.

This was hammered into my head by the Catholic Church itself.

Catholics love sharing that worldly message everywhere they go.

Catholics is sharing the Roman Catholic gospel: be a "good" person and you too can earn eternal life, regardless of what you believe.

This was hammered into my head by the Catholic Church itself.

Catholics love sharing that worldly message everywhere they go.
Funny how the teaching has changed I was taught : be a 'good' person and you MAY earn eternal life, and those non RCs were tools of the Satan. There job is to get you out of the one true church and into hell.

What you know is what you have been taught by scholars you trust. You just parrot their arguments.

So let's be clear: it isn't what the Bible says or unsays that guides you, but what scholars say the Bible says and unsays.
You are wrong and you offer no evidence at all. The poster is clearly guided by the HS and not man.

Fine.

Keep right on with your Protestant fundamentalist nonsense about Catholics and bread worship, Mary idolatry, saint idolatry, statue worship, etc, if you think such is an effective evangelical tool.
It is not protestant fundamentalist nonsense at all. It is the truth and it is not surprising that RCs don't like the truth about their institution. Do you think your insults eg it went over your head is just one example of the any you have used or your RC fundamentalist nonsense about the beliefs of others and the name calling of Protestant fundamentalist is an effective tool for anything then you are completely wrong.

No, I believe by conscience that Jesus wants His church to be unified based on Scripture. I also believe by conscience that He wants us to have genuine charity for all people and that if we claim we are in Him and don't have love, we have dead faith.
Charity for all people is to tell them the Truth.

Funny how the teaching has changed I was taught : be a 'good' person and you MAY earn eternal life, and those non RCs were tools of the Satan. There job is to get you out of the one true church and into hell.

Catholicism now teaches that Jesus opened the door so "good people" can earn eternal life from God. This is the reason behind what we see in the OP and so many other stories coming out of the RCC.

Their doctrine changes so fast, who knows what the new changes will bring in the next 50 years. Whatever new doctrine it is, what we can be sure of is that the RC apologists during that time will insist their new teachings have always been the official doctrine of the Apostles and the Catholic Church for 2000 years.

It is not protestant fundamentalist nonsense at all. It is the truth and it is not surprising that RCs don't like the truth about their institution. Do you think your insults eg it went over your head is just one example of the any you have used or your RC fundamentalist nonsense about the beliefs of others and the name calling of Protestant fundamentalist is an effective tool for anything then you are completely wrong.
It is "an effective tool" to turn people from the RCC. Unless they are dyed-in-the-wool Roman Catholics already. Ad hominem arguments show more about the argumenter than about the point that is being replied to.

--Rich

I'm a Catholic that thinks this Pope is as much like Jesus as we've had. Contemplating the end time and Jesus coming again, I'd imagine that he won't be as much into rules and laws and doctrines as has been necessary over the centuries of waiting. He'll be like the Jesus we get to know from Scripture
Jesus wasn't into "traditions of men" and FALSE doctrines. The Jesus in scripture came to "magnify the law", and openly points out that unless one's observance of the law SURPASSES that of the legalists of his day (i.e. the scribes and Pharisees), no one will enter into heaven.

Paul affirms Christ's teaching by pointing out that it is only through the "faith OF Christ" that one can keep God's law.

Sadly, most Christians are still living under the Old Testament's parameters which require one to keep the law according to their ability rather than under the New Testament which enables the new creature in Christ to keep God's law perfectly. Christians falsely assume the latter while openly admitting the former.

the NC truth? I am not upset at your deception, I feel sorry for you.
I do not deceive at all, I tell the truth. It is RCs who do cover ups of their leaders and their deeds, or promote false teachings. Nice and polite response, feeling the love. I feel very sorry for you. Yes you are upset by the truth about your institution and it shows in your responses.

Apostate Vatican's message to Buddhists celebrating Vesakh: "May this festival once more inspire you to continue your quest for insight into the nature of duhkha, the conditions that cause it, and how it can be overcome"
Christ's message was aimed at the children of Israel alone. He called them to repentance. Paul, on other hand, was called to proclaim the gospel to gentiles which would presumably include Buddhists, no? Paul himself even refers to pagan poets, and gods in his teaching. So I don't see the problem here.
"The keen awareness of this shared vulnerability calls for new forms of solidarity shaped by our respective religious traditions, to which we look for "answers to the unsolved riddles of the human condition which deeply stir the hearts of men"
Here again, I don't see the problem in openly admitting that each respective religious tradition has its flaws and problems. He isn't conflating them, but maintaining that they're distinctly different.
"Dear Buddhist friends, you offer healing when you embody karuna - compassion towards all beings,
Leave it to a Catholic to disagree with a call for "compassion towards all beings".
Ironically, Christ openly admitted, not that others would equal him, but that they would "do greater deeds" than he did.

I guess I can agree to a certain extent, but the situation is quite different as compared to the one Paul was in. It should be noted that he did not praise the religion of the Athenians. He did not say anything like "When you worship Zeus, you are actually worshiping the creator of the world who has now revealed himself to mankind." If he would have done that, he would have basically told them a big lie. I completely reject the idea, which is proposed on a regular basis, that the worship of idols is an expression of man's longing after/searching for God. Paul himself states in no ambiguous terms that the idols of the pagans are in reality demons (1 Cor. 10:20). He even calls Satan "the god of this world" (2 Cor. 4:4).

By God's providence, there was an altar in Athens with the inscription "To an unknown god," to which he could connect the message of the Gospel. But he never went so far as to flatter their religion. And that is the problem with "pope" Francis' message. He speaks well of the rituals of Buddhism without so much as indicating that they are heading in the wrong direction. The Gospel is not served by such an attitude. Souls are not won for Christ by flattering people and their customs. If anything, the Gospel should initially crush and disillusion our egos. Christ is the Savior of lost sinners and not the righteous.
Oh, I agree that Paul did not praise the Athenians' religion. Plus it seems to me he was trying to find a...jumping off point with them, by which he could introduce the Gospel. Francis, of course, did not do that. So, you are correct--there are more differences than similarities between the two. Francis is trying to find common ground--but goes too far, affirming the Buddhist's beliefs, with their festival.

Oh, I agree that Paul did not praise the Athenians' religion. Plus it seems to me he was trying to find a...jumping off point with them, by which he could introduce the Gospel. Francis, of course, did not do that.

Most Catholics despise evangelism, including when Christ followers do it as well. The idea that Jesus Christ is supreme and that it is vital that sinners put their trust in Him drives them up the wall. I have been in conversations with unbelievers about Jesus Christ and Christianity and Catholics have interrupted to make sure the unbeliever knew they can go to Heaven without believing in Jesus at all.

And they want us to believe they are "Apostolic." LOL.

Most Catholics despise evangelism, including when Christ followers do it as well. The idea that Jesus Christ is supreme and that it is vital that sinners put their trust in Him drives them up the wall. I have been in conversations with unbelievers about Jesus Christ and Christianity and Catholics have interrupted to make sure the unbeliever knew they can go to Heaven without believing in Jesus at all.

And they want us to believe they are "Apostolic." LOL.
Let's be clear: I have no problem with evangelism.

It is Protestant fundamentalist Bible thumping I have a problem with.

As do I. But I am constantly told I am lying. I get insulted and ridiculed just for asking a question. never once have I had a Nc be polite and ask a genuine question. Doesnt mean you have to accept the answer, but at least give a reasonable response. not once I have I seen that here. I and other catholics do not stay here cuz you are reasonable. We stay here cuz you need us.
You are not lying--you and other Catholics genuinely think what you believe is the truth--it is your CHURCH and its leadership that have been lying to its membership for centuries, by teaching false doctrines and false practices, etc.

You are not lying--you and other Catholics genuinely think what you believe is the truth--it is your CHURCH and its leadership that have been lying to its membership for centuries, by teaching false doctrines and false practices, etc.
I read the bible before I was catholic. I do not need the CC to tell me that Jesus meant what he said in Jn 6. But I thank you Bonnie, i truly appreciate your words. I am not lying. I am not trying to deceive as others claim. I truly believe what I believe and try to teach it to the best of my ability.

Back