Was Ruth an Israelite?

Hawkeye

You have proved nothing.

Plus I don't use the Masoretic Text.

My Septuagint doesn't say plains of Moab. It says country of Moab. It was MOAB either way dude!
The Hebrew word translated "Country" is Sadeh. It does not mean "Nation". It means Fields, Farmland, Fertile ground, etc.

Here is Young's Literal Transaltion....probably the best:

[Ruth 1:1] And it cometh to pass, in the days of the judging of the judges, that there is a famine in the land, and there goeth a man from Beth-Lehem-Judah to sojourn in the fields of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.

Use your common sense!

Cynthia

There are two separate women in scripture.....one named Rachab and the other named Rahab. Are you certain you have the right one?

The Midianites were not under a curse!
Neither was the people of Jericho, until afterward.

impure bloodline is impure bloodline. make up your mind

A change in spelling is all you got?

Cynthia

The Hebrew word translated "Country" is Sadeh. It does not mean "Nation". It means Fields, Farmland, Fertile ground, etc.

[Ruth 1:1] And it cometh to pass, in the days of the judging of the judges, that there is a famine in the land, and there goeth a man from Beth-Lehem-Judah to sojourn in the fields of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.

Use you common sense!
field of moab
swamp of moab
country of moab
desert of moab
farm of moab

it was moab dude.
(youngs uses the Masoretic Text anyway)

Hawkeye

Use your common sense!
I have asked this question a number of times on this thread but as yet no one has attempted an answer.

Can anyone tell me why devout Hebrews would travel to a pagan Nation like Moab and marry pagan women? They would be trashing everything that their Lord God Yahweh had told them through the Prophet Moses.....less that 150 years earlier.

Hawkeye

Neither was the people of Jericho, until afterward.

impure bloodline is impure bloodline. make up your mind

A change in spelling is all you got?
Impure bloodline is not the problem. Women from a Nation that has the curse of Yahweh is!

You might be surprised what scripture has to say about Rahab.....and Rachab. But....let's settle Ruth first.

Cynthia

what scripture tells you they were devout Hebrews?

they were starving. they went were there was rain so they could get food.

like Jacob and his family went to Egypt during the famine.....

Probably the same reason that they fell away soon after Joshua and Caleb and his generation died.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

field of moab
swamp of moab
country of moab
desert of moab
farm of moab

it was moab dude.
If you wish to use derogatory appellations I guess that's your privilege. I'll refrain out of respect for you.

Cynthia

Impure bloodline is not the problem. Women from a Nation that has the curse of Yahweh is!
Impure bloodline is not the problem? Did you just say that? So ezra and nehemiah made those priests and other Israelites put away their foreign wives and children why? Did I just hear crickets? Do I get the 'stumped him' award?

Last edited:

Stephen

I have asked this question a number of times on this thread but as yet no one has attempted an answer.

Can anyone tell me why devout Hebrews would travel to a pagan Nation like Moab and marry pagan women? They would be trashing everything that their Lord God Yahweh had told them through the Prophet Moses.....less that 150 years earlier.

Haven't you read the book of Judges? (or Numbers?) Where did you get the idea that "devout Hebrews" are in view?

The grandson of Moses led false worship (Judges 18:30) and the largest tribe in the land lacked the faith to conquer their portion (tribe of Dan)..

Hawkeye

Haven't you read the book of Judges? (or Numbers?) Where did you get the idea that "devout Hebrews" are in view?

The grandson of Moses led false worship (Judges 18:30) and the largest tribe in the land lacked the faith to conquer their portion (tribe of Dan)..
Are you saying that Naomi and family were not worshipers of the Great God of the Universe, Yahweh?

Cynthia

Are you saying that Naomi and family were not worshipers of the Great God of the Universe, Yahweh?
lol
talk about trying to change the whole discussion.
avoidance big time

Hey, don't forget to answer #129

Last edited:

Stephen

The text doesn't say they were "devout". The period of the judges isn't known as a period when the Hebrews were being "devout". It actually has the opposite conclusion written right into the book of Judges.

Hawkeye

field of moab
swamp of moab
country of moab
desert of moab
farm of moab

it was moab dude.
Transliteration from the Tanach: [Ruth 1:1] 1 wayəhî bîmê šəfōṭ haššōfəṭîm wayəhî rā‘āḇ bā’āreṣ wayyēleḵə ’îš mibêṯ leḥem yəhûḏâ lāḡûr biśəḏê mwō’āḇ hû’ wə’išətwō ûšənê ḇānāyw:

This, Dear Lady... is not the "Nation of Moab."

‏וַיְהִ֗י בִּימֵי֙ שְׁפֹ֣ט הַשֹּׁפְטִ֔ים וַיְהִ֥י רָעָ֖ב בָּאָ֑רֶץ וַיֵּ֨לֶךְ אִ֜ישׁ מִבֵּ֧ית לֶ֣חֶם יְהוּדָ֗ה לָגוּר֙ בִּשְׂדֵ֣י מוֹאָ֔ב ה֥וּא וְאִשְׁתּ֖וֹ וּשְׁנֵ֥י

I can't read Hebrew but Robert Young was an accomplished Hebrew/Greek scholar of the 19th century. I'm sure that's what it says as the transliteration makes it quite obvious.

Cynthia

Transliteration from the Tanach: [Ruth 1:1] 1 wayəhî bîmê šəfōṭ haššōfəṭîm wayəhî rā‘āḇ bā’āreṣ wayyēleḵə ’îš mibêṯ leḥem yəhûḏâ lāḡûr biśəḏê mwō’āḇ hû’ wə’išətwō ûšənê ḇānāyw:

This, Dear Lady... is not the "Nation of Moab."

‏וַיְהִ֗י בִּימֵי֙ שְׁפֹ֣ט הַשֹּׁפְטִ֔ים וַיְהִ֥י רָעָ֖ב בָּאָ֑רֶץ וַיֵּ֨לֶךְ אִ֜ישׁ מִבֵּ֧ית לֶ֣חֶם יְהוּדָ֗ה לָגוּר֙ בִּשְׂדֵ֣י מוֹאָ֔ב ה֥וּא וְאִשְׁתּ֖וֹ וּשְׁנֵ֥י

I can't read Hebrew but Robert Young was an accomplished Hebrew/Greek scholar of the 19th century. I'm sure that's what it says as the transliteration makes it quite obvious.
Dont forget to answer #129

Hawkeye

The text doesn't say they were "devout". The period of the judges isn't known as a period when the Hebrews were being "devout". It actually has the opposite conclusion written right into the book of Judges.
Well....Boaz sure seemed to be devout [Ruth 2:4]. Naomi seemed to be as well [Ruth 2:20]....but I could be wrong. Same family.

Doubt it.............

Hawkeye

Impure bloodline is not the problem? Did you just say that? So ezra and nehemiah made those priests and other Israelites put away their foreign wives and children why? Did I just hear crickets? Do I get the 'stumped him' award?
In the case of Moab and Ammon it was the curse. Now....you know that. Don't pretend.