Was your last sermon like this?

BJ Bear

A segment at iisuesetc-dot-com on Dr. Walter A. Maier and Bishop Fulton J. Sheen lead me to find out more about Dr. Maier. He was the original speaker of The Lutheran Hour.

The title of the radio sermon is Jesus Is Our God. There is nothing unusual in that or in the content of the sermon. What is unusual to me is his style of delivery. Because it is a radio sermon it probably isn't a fair comparison to make, but have your pastors delivered sermons in that style or something similar?

Apparently, The Lutheran Hour had a bigger audience than the Milton Berle show which was a competitor in the same time slot. A person can hear more of Dr. Maier's sermons here.

Bonnie

A segment at iisuesetc-dot-com on Dr. Walter A. Maier and Bishop Fulton J. Sheen lead me to find out more about Dr. Maier. He was the original speaker of The Lutheran Hour.

The title of the radio sermon is Jesus Is Our God. There is nothing unusual in that or in the content of the sermon. What is unusual to me is his style of delivery. Because it is a radio sermon it probably isn't a fair comparison to make, but have your pastors delivered sermons in that style or something similar?

Apparently, The Lutheran Hour had a bigger audience than the Milton Berle show which was a competitor in the same time slot. A person can hear more of Dr. Maier's sermons here.
He is the father of our church's premier scholar, Dr. Paul Maier, whom I met several times and had the privilege of hearing him lecture. I have never heard any of Maier pere's sermons, but I do have a book about him and TLH.

Last edited:

BJ Bear

He is the father of our church's premier scholar, Dr. Paul Maier, whom I met several times and had the privilege of hearing him lecture. I have never heard any if Maier pere's sermons, but I do have a book about him and TLH.
Thank you for the info.

I found many of his sermons in written form here.

I think I heard some TAALC guys or LCMS guys talking about how preaching changed in the LCMS during the twentieth century. Someone is working on a translation of Reinhold, who taught homiletics in the LCMS at the beginning of the that century.

Is German no longer a required language in LCMS seminaries?