Watching trash?

Hark

So, back to the Op......I still contend that willfully watching trashing, excessively violent and gory movies/TV, filled with sex and foul language is evidence of a child of God NOT having the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. If Jesus came to the house , rang the door bell, came in, sat on the sofa......do you think any child of God, especially one who claims to be a believer would continue to watch the vulgar action flick or TV show? Yet many of them think Jesus is abiding within them. Is He? Would He?
Depends if you are watching it as entertaining the flesh or being on guard with Him in rejecting the media that tries to sows to your flesh. To goes to your intentions or to your spirit for why you are watching something that can sow to the flesh which watching even Christian entertainment can do as well, when heresy is also a work of the flesh. Such films that show the heresy that we can follow Him by making a commitment or promise to do so is denying the faith in Him as our Good Shepherd & His promises to us that He will help us to follow Him. We either follow Him by faith trusting Him to do His work in us to help us to follow Him, or we are resorting to our own will power & thus the flesh.

People can fast forward or close their eyes or look away from the screen when certain scenes are sowing to the flesh. Jesus will help them to know if they are unable to do that and it is their habit to not be on guard when watching, them He will help them to find something else to entertain themselves by, but they can continue to trust Him to let them know whatever entertainment they choose is sowing to the flesh or not by how it is being received as the intentions for watching media should be obvious to the saved believer. If not, they can ask the Lord to help them to discern especially when the intention for watching has changed when it starts sowing to their flesh like hatred or malice & not just lust.

Same thing with what we think. He will help us cast down wicked imaginations and help us to think on good things.

2 Corinthians 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. 6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Psalm 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults. 13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression. 14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

There is a race to be run, not for salvation, but to be received by Him as that vessel unto honor in His House when He comes as the Bridegroom.

Hebrews 12:1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Oldsaint24

Depends if you are watching it as entertaining the flesh or being on guard with Him in rejecting the media that tries to sows to your flesh.

This is my point. Hollywood action flicks and secular TV movies of the nature I described are for the flesh. I am addressing the WILLFUL, continually watching such trash by God's children. If they watch such vulgarity/trash WILLFULLY for the entertainment.....and......and feel no conviction for such willful behavior.......I contend the child of God does NOT have the abiding presence, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Simple as that.

Now if you want to make a case that a child of God who has the very Spirit of Jesus Christ within can watch and enjoy such trash....please make that case. That is the reason I give an example if Jesus was visiting on a Saturday evening would Jesus sit on the sofa and enjoy such trash with the individual? Would the child of God say, "Hey Jesus, I just love this series of action flicks, haven't seen this one yet. Let's watch it together, just look past the violence and sex and close your ears to the foul language."

No, they wouldn't. Yet they claim the very Spirit of Jesus abides in them....and.....and they sit there and thoroughly enjoy the trash, violence, gore, foul language, sex, etc. Just how does that work with the child of God (professing believer) who claims Jesus abides in him/her?

Yes, God's children sin. But when they sin the Holy Spirit will/does convict them of their sin. AND if and when there is NO CONVICTION for willful sinful behavior, obviously the Holy Spirit is NOT present to convict.

The Holy Spirit is a PROMISE and available to those children of God who love Jesus and keep His commandments. I haven't seen it written, "Thou shalt watch Hollywood action flick for spiritual edification and growth." It is a deception among God's children that all one has to do is ask and magically, "poof", the Holy Spirit indwells the believer. Not so. Yet many believe that.

Oh, and just a side note.......if the believing, even professing child of God DOES NOT HAVE THE INDWELLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT , he/she is NOT in the kingdom of God, here and now.

Last edited:

Hark

This is my point. Hollywood action flicks and secular TV movies of the nature I described are for the flesh. I am addressing the WILLFUL, continually watching such trash by God's children. If they watch such vulgarity/trash WILLFULLY for the entertainment.....and......and feel no conviction for such willful behavior.......I contend the child of God does NOT have the abiding presence, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Simple as that.
Did you also read post #40 that came before that post?

If saved Gentiles had to be told to abstain from fornications and things offered to idol, then all believers need to be told that, but until then or even after they refuse, that does not mean they do not have the Holy Spirit because He can be grieved for why He is not going anywhere and for why believers should take heed in what they are watching and for what purpose.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. 35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.
Now if you want to make a case that a child of God who has the very Spirit of Jesus Christ within can watch and enjoy such trash....please make that case. That is the reason I give an example if Jesus was visiting on a Saturday evening would Jesus sit on the sofa and enjoy such trash with the individual? Would the child of God say, "Hey Jesus, I just love this series of action flicks, haven't seen this one yet. Let's watch it together, just look past the violence and sex and close your ears to the foul language."
You do not think that a child of God or even a man of God is not vexed daily in the outside world and in the work place?
No, they wouldn't. Yet they claim the very Spirit of Jesus abides in them....and.....and they sit there and thoroughly enjoy the trash, violence, gore, foul language, sex, etc. Just how does that work with the child of God (professing believer) who claims Jesus abides in him/her?
He abides in them; but that does not mean they abide in Him when they walk in darkness.
Yes, God's children sin. But when they sin the Holy Spirit will/does convict them of their sin. AND if and when there is NO CONVICTION for willful sinful behavior, obviously the Holy Spirit is NOT present to convict.
That is a wrong conclusion to judge anyone by. How does the Holy Spirit convict? By the scripture.

Paul addressed the brother that was having his father's wife and the church was to excommunicate him if he did not repent in 1 Corinthians 15:1-13 In the second letter to the Corinthians Paul agreed with the church for forgiving that brother who had repented in letting him back into fellowship. Paul even gave the Lord's commandment to withdraw from those that departed from faith and the traditions taught of us in 2 Thessalonians 3:1-7 but he pointed out, not to treat them as the enemy, but admonish them as brothers per 2 Thessalonians 3:14-15.

So not abiding in Him or not walking in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son does not mean they do not have the Holy Spirit & that they are not saved. This part of the faithful saying proves that even He still abides in former believers of those who denied Him after having been saved.

2 Timothy 2:11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

That proves there is no loss of salvation for those who have gone astray for why Jesus will lose nothing of all the Father has given Him. They are at risk of being left behind, but like the prodigal son that gave up his inheritance for wild living, although he can never get it back, he is still son.
The Holy Spirit is a PROMISE and available to those children of God who love Jesus and keep His commandments.
Then that would make Him the Spirit of fear if we can lose Him if we fail to keep all of His commandments. So no. The commandments Jesus is talking about in John 14:15 that comes with the promise of the forever indwelling Holy Spirit is to believe Him as it was repeated several times in John 14:1,10-12

I haven't seen it written, "Thou shalt watch Hollywood action flick for spiritual edification and growth."
Neither is living in this world either, but we are to live by faith in Jesus Christ to help us walk through this valley of death.
It is a deception among God's children that all one has to do is ask and magically, "poof", the Holy Spirit indwells the believer. Not so. Yet many believe that.
Jesus said it by believing in Him, even in His name, is how we are all saved per John 1:12-13
Oh, and just a side note.......if the believing, even professing child of God DOES NOT HAVE THE INDWELLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT , he/she is NOT in the kingdom of God, here and now.
If any child believes in the Lord Jesus Christ & that God raised Him from the dead, they are saved. What we build on that foundation will be judged by Him BUT that foundation remains and that seal of adoption is not going anywhere BUT if they do not repent, they can be left behind when the Bridegroom comes. So watching trash, listening to trash, reading trash, being around people that talk trash when you have no choice but to work with them or live with family like that... we all need Jesus to go through those trials.

Does the media affect me? Yes, for why I trust Him to help me be choosy about what I watch and when to reject with His help because media does provoke me to hate the bad guys in the movies and tries to tempt me to hate those who defrauded me and wrong me in real life. Yet in real life, He carries me through it that many would see me as stupid or slow in comprehending them insulting me or ripping me off, but afterwards. is the real battle where the Lord has to help me put it down and forgive them for they know not what they do. That's my life and what TV does .. it can affect me but again, He helps me to put it down along with all other thoughts of vengeance.

In other words, getting rid of all media and books ( except the KJV Bible ) isn't going to change the fact that He is with me always to cast down thoughts & think on good things in dealing with this life as we walk through this valley of death together & that includes watching television.

Course, if I stop repenting of those thoughts, that is scary, but I trust Jesus to let me know when to stop watching television altogether.

I do not deny that it is a weight, but not always. Just as random sinful thoughts can be a weight. but they are put down with the help of Christ.

But judging people as not saved? You do not want to do that because there are no scripture plainly teaching us to judge a professing believer in that way, but to correct, or excommunicate; AND do note that preaching the gospel to them as if they are not saved is not listed as a solution.