We need another James Randi

Hypatia_Alexandria

From the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/obituaries/james-randi-dead.html

What roiled his blood, and was the driving impetus of his existence, Mr. Randi often said, was pseudoscience, in all its immoral irrationality.

“People who are stealing money from the public, cheating them and misinforming them — that’s the kind of thing that I’ve been fighting all my life,” he said in the 2014 documentary “An Honest Liar,” directed by Tyler Measom and Justin Weinstein. “Magicians are the most honest people in the world: They tell you they’re going to fool you, and then they do it.” [...]

In the course of his career, he investigated more than 100 people, including, memorably, Peter Popoff, a well-heeled self-described faith healer whom he exposed on “The Tonight Show.” Mr. Randi was also known for his decades-long sparring match with Uri Geller, the professed mentalist known for his serial abuse of flatware.

Through the James Randi Educational Foundation, Mr. Randi sponsored the Million Dollar Challenge, a contest offering $1 million to the person who, following rigorous scientific protocols, could demonstrate evidence of a paranormal, supernatural or occult phenomenon. Though the challenge attracted more than a thousand aspirants, the prize remained unclaimed on Mr. Randi’s retirement from the foundation in 2015.

And from the Observer/Guardian : https://www.theguardian.com/comment...without-james-randi-to-see-off-the-charlatans

Mediums, dowsers, astrologers, homeopaths, clairvoyants, faith-healers, mind-readers, spirit guides and anti-vaxxers also featured among Randi’s targets after he moved on from surpassing Houdini’s escapology to exposing all forms of pseudoscience, on principle but with a showmanship that made him reliably more compelling than his subjects. This made him immeasurably valuable to sceptics. Addressing homeopathy, for instance, he appreciated that argument alone would have less impact in demonstrating the staggering uselessness of these royal-endorsed products than his filmed consumption of a homeopathic overdose..

Before Randi’s retirement in 2015, his eponymous educational foundation’s “paranormal challenge”, offering $1m to anyone who could demonstrate supernatural ability in scientific conditions, provided sceptics with a perfect response to ambitious phonies: supposing they didn’t want the money, how about the glory? The cash went unclaimed. Now, with Randi gone, life just got much more comfortable for purveyors of pseudoscience and, it follows, less so for their prey, the public.

If, say, the prognostication industry, which proved either unable or unwilling to alert Earthlings to the horrors coming in 2020, does nothing worse than make fools of consumers, Randi showed that more ambitious charlatans, such as the British manufacturer of a fake bomb detector, which he exposed in 2008, could kill them. Now, with lizard-believers hosting UK anti-mask/anti-5G/anti-Covid-19/anti-vaxx/reportedly antisemitic rallies in Trafalgar Square, and with quack remedies and conspiracy theories disseminated by the White House as well as by social media, his death only underlines the absence of comparably effective sceptics to counter lies more baleful than Doris Stokes’s “I’m getting an Eileen”

Sceptics and rationalists have never been so urgently needed on the world stage.

Furion

Who?

You can offer a million dollars for anyone who can find Hunter and win the skeptic internet world, all five dozen of them.

Hypatia_Alexandria

Who?

You can offer a million dollars for anyone who can find Hunter and win the skeptic internet world, all five dozen of them.
Randi exposed the "faith healer" Peter Popoff and Uri Geller as frauds, amongst other things.

As I understand it some of the allegations about Hunter Biden are rather flimsy. Even the New York Post staff expressed doubts.

Furion

Randi exposed the "faith healer" Peter Popoff and Uri Geller as frauds, amongst other things.

As I understand it some of the allegations about Hunter Biden are rather flimsy. Even the New York Post staff expressed doubts.
Impressive. Exposing those desiring gain from God is rather easy though, you can always tell when they ask for money. Duh. The Lord can even use an instrument like your man Randi to get the job done, he threw away his life to gain nothingness. Although some sheep can never be helped, that's why I still see Benny Hinn on the air.

Considering positions he has held, the miraculous meetings that coincided with Air Force II travels with him on them, and Joe's power, one would be a nincompoop to argue for their innocence. But this place will entertain it I guess, so it becomes some kind of sport.

Hypatia_Alexandria

Impressive. Exposing those desiring gain from God is rather easy though, you can always tell when they ask for money. Duh. The Lord can even use an instrument like your man Randi to get the job done, he threw away his life to gain nothingness. Although some sheep can never be helped, that's why I still see Benny Hinn on the air.

Considering positions he has held, the miraculous meetings that coincided with Air Force II travels with him on them, and Joe's power, one would be a nincompoop to argue for their innocence. But this place will entertain it I guess, so it becomes some kind of sport.
Is this written as an "homage" to James Joyce?

Torin

@Hypatia_Alexandria, I thought about posting a thread about Randi's death, but given certain CARM Christians' sickening penchant for dancing on graves I decided to let it pass unmentioned on CARM. Randi was a major figure in the skeptic community, my criticisms of that community notwithstanding, and his death is saddening.

Hypatia_Alexandria

@Hypatia_Alexandria, I thought about posting a thread about Randi's death, but given certain CARM Christians' sickening penchant for dancing on graves I decided to let it pass unmentioned on CARM. Randi was a major figure in the skeptic community, my criticisms of that community notwithstanding, and his death is saddening.
It is a great loss. He was always a remarkable and extremely entertaining figure especially when he was demonstrating how the stunts worked.

Still 92 is a good age.

Hypatia_Alexandria

What a legacy The Amazing Randi leaves behind, will be hard to find someone to fill those shoes.
It will indeed. Geller's sanctimonious comment as reported from Facebook could barely contain his glee, "How sad that Randi died with hatred in his soul. Love to you all. That some people still think Geller is genuine never ceases to amaze me.

Still there are others around to expose such frauds. Derren Brown has done some work on this.

Carol

"Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest...."

Furion

"Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest...."
I get this sense from those of this world.

"Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk to you again"

Thousands and thousands die every day, the Lord regards men of the world all the same.

Ignatius

As flimsy as the trump Russia collusion allegations? Like that you mean? You've stopped trying haven't you?

DieBrille

As flimsy as the trump Russia collusion allegations? Like that you mean? You've stopped trying haven't you?
There WERE no allegations of collusion.
Your lunatic liar of a president made it all up.
Show me the allegations I want a legal document. You can't So shut it..