Well meant offer?

ReverendRV

I'm not a hyper Calvinist based upon the definition I use.

I'd like to see where it places TomL and Sith...

T

TomFL

I'm not a hyper Calvinist based upon the definition I use.

Not saying you are

but there were a couple of views held in common

T

TomFL

Yep. Let the ad hominems loose, such has been the case against all those who believe the truth of Gospel salvation being ALL of God.
Salvation is all of God

Salvation and faith however are not the same thing

Why are you confounding them ?

SovereignGrace

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.[Romans 10:17]

It doesn’t resonate from an unregenerate person, but comes from hearing the word of Christ.

Sethproton

I also would say the Gospel is not an offer, but rather a declaration.
Yes the gospel itsself is a declaration of the Good news that Christ was about to die for sins. And ongoing that Christ had died for sin.
But there is an offer; Tom stated it clearly a couple posts back quoting 2 Cor 5:20

Reformedguy

He WILL save His people from their sins.[Matthew 1:21] He doesn’t try, He doesn’t hope, but He DOES save His sheep. There is not a well meant offer in the gospel.
Exactly. Our provisionist friends have our Lord doing His best. He means to save all but He just cannot get it done. If you would just use your omnipotent will, submit to His request, all would be saved. Your will is just to much to over come

Sethproton

Exactly. Our provisionist friends have our Lord doing His best. He means to save all but He just cannot get it done. If you would just use your omnipotent will, submit to His request, all would be saved. Your will is just to much to over come
why twist words? Nobody says what you are saying, the idea that Christ did all He could and could not quite make it.
That is an ugly lie about Jesus and no one teaches that.
If you are interested in truth, then argue against what is said instead against mean spirited straw men.

Christ died for sin. He paid the price completely, and He soothed God's anger against us. Christ did that successfully. You should acknowledge that truth and then argue from that platform, Instead you pretend that is not being taught and you argue against ideas that are not spoken here.
Don't you want to discuss the real ideas?

eternomade

What do you mean? I said the gospel is that Jesus died for sin that we could be saved. And you are saying that is not good news?
That is horrible news.

The gospel is not that we could be saved but that we are saved. The word "could" means it's conditional upon man. The Gospel is a declaration and not an offer.

For example:
- I must do this in order to be saved(conditional)
- God already did this so I will be saved(unconditional)

These are two different gospels.

Reformedguy

why twist words? Nobody says what you are saying, the idea that Christ did all He could and could not quite make it.
That is an ugly lie about Jesus and no one teaches that.
If you are interested in truth, then argue against what is said instead against mean spirited straw men.

Christ died for sin. He paid the price completely, and He soothed God's anger against us. Christ did that successfully. You should acknowledge that truth and then argue from that platform, Instead you pretend that is not being taught and you argue against ideas that are not spoken here.
Don't you want to discuss the real ideas?
Was Christ's intent to save all yes or no? He died for all right? Why do some go lost?

Your saviour is a failure. Matthew says HE WILL save His people from their sins but apparently does not. Your will is just to powerful for Him to overcome. I am sure He trys His best though

G

guest1

Yes the gospel itsself is a declaration of the Good news that Christ was about to die for sins. And ongoing that Christ had died for sin.
But there is an offer; Tom stated it clearly a couple posts back quoting 2 Cor 5:20
Where does scripture call the gospel an “ offer “

????

Sethproton

That is horrible news.

The gospel is not that we could be saved but that we are saved. The word "could" means it's conditional upon man. The Gospel is a declaration and not an offer.

For example:
- I must do this in order to be saved(conditional)
- God already did this so I will be saved(unconditional)

These are two different gospels.
Yes you are right, the Bible as I see it is conditional. Without faith you cannot be saved.
One way it states it is "Without faith it is impossible to please God" Salvation is for those with whom God is pleased.

Last edited: