Were any of the founding fathers atheist?

john james

I'm being told and founding that none or barely any of the founding fathers were atheist. They set up the country so atheist could have freedom not to believe within the U.S.

I'm being told that the morality they were referring to may have not been based upon a morality originating from human power but that of a higher power and reality/natural law/science.

The way I see it is there is a measuring stick as to which morality is better but unfortunately some who say their morality is better or just as good reject that measuring stick. If someone tries to measure or make a type of categorical list of what deems one morality to be better, they simply make up their own that will support their morality being better or just as good. I wish some atheist could admit that when Christians follow what the measuring stick of the Bible says, they are more consistent than when a group of people determined one generation that ________ is moral then in another generation change it then change it again in another generation for example. Because when the people change and/or the culture/politics change then the morality changes. One atheist said to me, we determined what is moral or immoral. My question was, do every time the "we" change their mind then does morality change. They said yes. Many atheist bring up the bad things of Christian history (slavery) and what some Christians do to try to discredit Christianity, but Christianity's measuring stick(the bible) has been the same for centuries, just not everyone obeys it.

I think one of the real reasons this is such an issue is because some people don't want to be content with the freedoms they have in the U.S. that was shaped by Christian morality. They want the power to shape it the way they want whether the country falls or not. The founding fathers did the best any group has done and it being better is not the issue to them. The issue is they want to shape it the way they want and to benefit them, from conception. It is not good enough for them just to accept the freedoms they have and go from there.

Many people from other cultures and countries want to come to the U.S. because of the rights and opportunities. If that changes based upon non Christian morality, then I think the rights and opportunities will change. The weird thing is when I speak to some atheist, many good parts of morality they have originated from the bible and/or God. Like Marriage, who created that. No one can tell me..... I know God did.

Please don't get offend it i don't reply to your rebuttal of what I said here. I try not to get into the back and forth nature that is on here sometimes. I may reply one or twice. I'm not into that winning the agruement thing.

vibise

When you are faced with a moral dilemma do you immediately open your Bible to find out what to do?
Or do you call your pastor, so that he can tell you what to do?
Are you unable to distinguish right from wrong without checking with the Bible and/or your pastor?

Or do you have a conscience and an upbringing that taught you right from wrong that helps you make a decision?

Gus Bovona

Please don't get offend it i don't reply to your rebuttal of what I said here. I try not to get into the back and forth nature that is on here sometimes. I may reply one or twice. I'm not into that winning the agruement thing.

Allow me to explain a different approach: the best way to make sure that one's ideas are sound is to test them against those who think differently. This is one reason why science has achieved so much: scientific findings are tested and challenged by other scientists who try to find something wrong. If a scientific finding stands up against repeated challenge, then scientists have more confidence in that finding.

It's not about winning an argument just to win, but to make sure one's ideas can stand up to challenge. And, to do so honestly, which means admitting readily and easily when an idea doesn't stand up to challenge. Now, that can be a hard thing to do, but that's the ideal.

john james

When you are faced with a moral dilemma do you immediately open your Bible to find out what to do?
Are you unable to distinguish right from wrong without checking with the Bible and/or your pastor?

Or do you have a conscience and an upbringing that taught you right from wrong that helps you make a decision?
For years after I first became a Christian and before, I went by what I was taught, what I was taught by what I caught and my conscience. (Some Christians believe that the conscience is what God set up so you would automatically know to a degree what He deemed right from wrong unless it was seared). Then after I started becoming more mature in my faith, I began going to people like my Pastor and others. Then after when became able to interpret the Bible better and had a better relationship with God, it started going by the Revelation I myself received from the bible.

Like a child who needs to mature in experience, knowledge and wisdom, I did. The more I knew God and the better my relationship Him was, the more I wanted to know Him and His direction for my life and me. Normally a child becomes independent of their parent as they mature. With Christians, we become more dependent on God and His bible as we mature.

I think I get the point you were making but some Christians actually do go by the bible more than others. But that doesn't automatically happen because we have a nature that is automatically against God if certain things don't take place. Until those things happen like maturity, relationship, need, etc, we will usually do what your point seems to be.

john james

Allow me to explain a different approach: the best way to make sure that one's ideas are sound is to test them against those who think differently. This is one reason why science has achieved so much: scientific findings are tested and challenged by other scientists who try to find something wrong. If a scientific finding stands up against repeated challenge, then scientists have more confidence in that finding.

It's not about winning an argument just to win, but to make sure one's ideas can stand up to challenge. And, to do so honestly, which means admitting readily and easily when an idea doesn't stand up to challenge. Now, that can be a hard thing to do, but that's the ideal.
I agree with that.

ferengi

How does the atheist differentiate between good and evil objectively?

LifeIn

No, I don't think they were. However most of them were quite far from being what we would call believers today. Many of them were Deists. Deism is a philosophical belief in human reason as a reliable means of solving social and political problems. Deists believe in a supreme being who created the universe to operate solely by natural laws—and after creation, is absent from the world. If one believes in a deity who is no longer working in the world, there would be no need to pray to that deity (he isn't listening because he is off playing golf) or expect the world to behave any differently than the atheists would believe. And many deists do not believe in an afterlife.

So the question as stated oversimplifies the situation by dividing the world of religious thought into atheists and believers.