What are the essentials of the gospel?

Dizerner

I am not responding to some points you made(might drift off into C vs A debate), in order to not derail the OP.

That's fair.

But I would point out that although A's and C's do share a lot of common ground, it may be that in some aspects of the "Gospel," even in its core aspects, there is some disagreement and differences.

I believe that Calvinists can be saved by the mercies of God, but I believe they do deny fundamental aspects of the fundamental Gospel, because without free will you really do have a different Gospel.

Therefore even when discussing the very fundamentals—it may be unavoidable to bring up the A & C issue.

eternomade

But I would point out that although A's and C's do share a lot of common ground, it may be that in some aspects of the "Gospel," even in its core aspects, there is some disagreement and differences.

I believe that Calvinists can be saved by the mercies of God, but I believe they do deny fundamental aspects of the fundamental Gospel, because without free will you really do have a different Gospel.
Can I ask why you would consider a Calvinist saved if they believe a different gospel than you? I do agree that they are opposed, and that one is correct.

We both would argue that the LDS, JW and others believe in false gospels because they deny Jesus divinity. This would be a difference in His person, or who He is.

Wouldn't the A and C debate be the same? We both believe Christ did different "works", right?

civic

Can I ask why you would consider a Calvinist saved if they believe a different gospel than you? I do agree that they are opposed, and that one is correct.

We both would argue that the LDS, JW and others believe in false gospels because they deny Jesus divinity. This would be a difference in His person, or who He is.

Wouldn't the A and C debate be the same? We both believe Christ did different "works", right?
No both A/C agree on the gospel and it’s core elements .

Our Lord's God

You seem to think salvation is passing a theology test.

Our Lord's God

Your assumption is wrong. Salvation is of the Lord alone. Knowledge and belief are not the same thing.

And you seem to suppose that your faith must be in the correct theology to be saved.

Otherwise, you wouldn't say things like, "Can I ask why you would consider a Calvinist saved if they believe a different gospel than you? I do agree that they are opposed, and that one is correct."

eternomade

And you seem to suppose that your faith must be in the correct theology to be saved.

Otherwise, you wouldn't say things like, "Can I ask why you would consider a Calvinist saved if they believe a different gospel than you? I do agree that they are opposed, and that one is correct."
Yes, because I believe Calvinism(TULIP) is the gospel...

Any other gospel is false.

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

You deny Jesus is God in the flesh and you deny His absuolute sovereignty over all things.

Our Lord's God

Yes, because I believe Calvinism(TULIP) is the gospel...

Any other gospel is false.

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

You deny Jesus is God in the flesh and you deny His absuolute sovereignty over all things.

Does this mean you want to change the subject now?

Our Lord's God

No we can talk about the gospel.

What is the gospel?

The Gospel is the good news of all that God has done, is doing, and will do.

Most simply, God's good news is a person himself - Jesus Christ. You don't know him, ya got nuthin'.

His sheep hear his voice.

Theo1689

No both A/C agree on the gospel and it’s core elements .

I certainly agree.
And much as been said about Spurgeon's comment, "Calvinism is the gospel". I've read the sermon that came from, and I don't pretend to be able to read his mind, but I can agree with him in a certain way, and I have no reason to think that he didn't approach the issue the same way I understand it.

I doubt that if someone asked Spurgeon to share the gospel with him, that he would start going off about the "5 Points of Calvinism". He would talk about God's holiness, our deadness in sin, our need for grace, and most importantly, God sending His son to die to atone for sin, and believing Jesus being the way to salvation. That is the gospel, and Calvinists and Arminians alike are in agreement with it.

But I think what Spurgeon may have meant was that if you "flesh out" what the gospel is actually teaching, if you scour the Bible to learn the FULLNESS of each point of that road to Calvary, what you would end up with would be Calvinism:
- Total depravity - we need God to save us;
- Irresistible grace - He WILL succeed in saving His sheep;
- Perseverance/Saints - He will not lose any of them;
- etc.
- etc.

ReverendRV

I define the Gospel(Good News) as "The person and work of Jesus Christ." or "Who Jesus is and What He did".

Typically I will point to 1 Corinthians 15 in order to start the discussion when sharing the gospel with others. I believe this describes the person and work of Jesus Christ.

How about you?

Maybe a few more questions for discussion:

-What is the Gospel?

- Is salvation simply believing the gospel?
- If not, what else is required besides belief?

- Do works give us assurance of salvation?
- If yes, how many works?

- What is repentance?
Ray Comfort teaches that the Gospel should be taught after Condemnation by the Ten Commandments is taught; so though the Ten Commandments are Bad News and isn't the Gospel, they are part and parcel of the Gospel Presentation...

For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting Life. God laid aside the benefits of his Deity to live as a Man for the purpose of living a Sinless life in our shoes. Jesus Christ is the man and he shed his blood by dying on a Cross so we could be right with God. He arose from the dead, conquering Death and the Grave. We are Saved by Grace through Faith in the Resurrected Savior Jesus Christ, without us submitting meritorious Works in part to be Righteous. Repent of your Sins, Confess Jesus Christ as your Lord God and start going to a Church that will teach you the Bible...

Last edited: