What are the symptoms?

Carbon

What’s are the symptoms of the unregenerate man?

God’s word gives an awful description of the unregenerate state of man. It is represented under the image of death. Yes, it’s plain to see in scripture, the natural condition of the soul is moral death.

And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
Eph 2:1, 5
We are not spiritually sick, but dead in sins.

When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, Col 2.

This is the awful state of the unregenerate, spiritually, legally, and if the quickening power of the Spirit does not interpose, judicially dead!
insensibility to all spiritual things marks the unrenewed mind.
To things that are carnal, it is all feeling, all sensitiveness, all life. Here all it’s natural faculties are in full vigour and play. The understanding, the will, the affections find ample range for their carnal propensities, powerful incentives to their indulgence, and revel and exult and expatiate amid the world of sensual delight - limited it is confessed - that opens to their view. O yes, all is life here. The mind can think, reason, compare and arrange; the will can select, and the affections pour forth their tender yearnings - and still the pall of spiritual death covers the soul.
Octavius Winslow

Last edited:

Carbon

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 1 Cor 2:14

the unregenerate is in such a state that he is helpless to the things of God.
He cannot understand or appraise the things of God. They are revealed through the Spirit by regeneration.

For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. 1 Cor 2.

T

TomFL

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 1 Cor 2:14

the unregenerate is in such a state that he is helpless to the things of God.
He cannot understand or appraise the things of God. They are revealed through the Spirit by regeneration.

For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. 1 Cor 2.
Reference 1Cor 2:14

The word translated natural is psychikos

It is alternately translated as sensual

In its context it refer to those who only see things based on worldly wisdom

Your argument resides on the assumption all are of that type

it is however contrary to the context

1 Corinthians 1:21 (KJV)
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

which shows some do believe

further your idea God's word cannot be understood is contrary to scripture

John 20:31 (KJV 1900)

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

This clearly presupposes the gospel may be understood

2 Timothy 3:15 (KJV 1900)

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

presupposes Holy scriptures may be understood

Isaiah 55:11 (KJV 1900)

11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth:

It shall not return unto me void,

But it shall accomplish that which I please,

And it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

God’s word prospers in whatever it is set out to do

if it is to provide revelation it is sufficient to that end

Psalm 19:7 (KJV 1900)

7 ………………………The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

Psalm 119:130 (KJV 1900)

130 The entrance of thy words giveth light;

It giveth understanding unto the simple.

Self explanitory

Romans 10:17 (KJV 1900)

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

The word of God brings faith. It must be understood to do so

James 1:21 (KJV)
21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

John 1:7 (KJV)
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

John 4:39 (KJV)
39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.