What are we after death?

Sethproton

When we die and leave our bodies behind, what are we? We know that we receive a new body from Heaven at the resurrection.
John, after having seen the resurrected Christ, said he did not know what our bodies would be like, but when we saw Him, our bodies would be like His. Obviously, what John saw post resurrection was not the body he was speaking of, because he had seen it. The new body has not yet been seen.
So one question is, without a human body, are we still considered human? And when we get that body from Heaven, and are revealed as the sons of God, what category of being will we be? Definately, not gods. But possibly not humans.

Base12

I personally believe we are Tripart Beings, meaning we have...
  • Body
  • Soul
  • Spirit
1 Thessalonians 5:23
"And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Thus, when we leave our bodies behind, we are Soul and Spirit.

In addition, I also believe that Abraham's Bosom still exists and that is where the Saved 'rest' (sleeping and dreaming) until Resurrection.

The opposite to Abraham's Bosom is 'Torments' or Hell (where the Rich Man went). They are sleeping as well, however instead of dreaming, they are having nightmares.

I suppose the 'category' they are in would be called 'Disembodied Spirits'. The final body of the Saved is what I usually call the 'Glorified Body'.

Sethproton

• Body
  • Soul
  • Spirit
"And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

In addition, I also believe that Abraham's Bosom still exists and that is where the Saved 'rest' (sleeping and dreaming) until Resurrection.

The opposite to Abraham's Bosom is 'Torments' or Hell (where the Rich Man went). They are sleeping as well, however instead of dreaming, they are having nightmares.

I suppose the 'category' they are in would be called 'Disembodied Spirits'. The final body of the Saved is what I usually call the 'Glorified Body'.
Are we still human?

Cynthia

Sons of God
Romans 8:19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God
Rom 8:19 uses the greek #5207, huion, children of God.

the term sons of God is another term for angels in some passges, but that is not the case here.

it is entirely appropriate to think in terms that we will still be human. even with a glorified body. we do not become angels and we do not become deity.

Sethproton

Rom 8:19 uses the greek #5207, huion, children of God.

the term sons of God is another term for angels in some passges, but that is not the case here.
Yes, I think you are right. And my question may not have a clear scriptural answer. But after we shed our bodies, are we still human.
I think that Christ was human for a little while. The Bible says He was "for a little while lower than the angels"

Cynthia

Yes, I think you are right. And my question may not have a clear scriptural answer. But after we shed our bodies, are we still human.
I think that Christ was human for a little while. The Bible says He was "for a little while lower than the angels"
Sorry for the very late response.

Christ was in his mortal human body for a time. But was at the same time God come in the flesh. For he had Divine Nature from the Father, and human nature from his mother. When he arose in his glorified body, he was/is still man, albeit glorified. And he is still God the Son, the God-man. Mediator between God the Father and mankind.

Sethproton

Sorry for the very late response.

Christ was in his mortal human body for a time. But was at the same time God come in the flesh. For he had Divine Nature from the Father, and human nature from his mother. When he arose in his glorified body, he was/is still man, albeit glorified. And he is still God the Son, the God-man. Mediator between God the Father and mankind.
Yes, that is standard Christianity and what i believed for many years, But I've come across many verses that tell a different story.
here are some comments on what you posted
glorified body - no such phrase in the Bible, therefore the concept needs to be looked at
He is still a man - Nothing says that Jesus remained in a human body, the post resurrection appearances are in different forms, meaning what they saw was not is ONE true resurrected body
Mediator - that job is finished,

Cynthia

we are told we will have a body like the risen Christ. He appeared in a physical body with scars. But also has power over material so could pass through locked doors. I will be happy with that.

If you want to disagree, you should provide the many verses you speak about that say something other than this.

Sethproton

we are told we will have a body like the risen Christ. He appeared in a physical body with scars. But also has power over material so could pass through locked doors. I will be happy with that.

If you want to disagree, you should provide the many verses you speak about that say something other than this.
Yes, good Idea. let us start with 1 John 3:2 Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is.

Consider some ideas.
John had seen Christ after the resurrection. He knew exactly what Jesus looked like after He rose. Yet here is John claiming he has not seen Jesus as He is and that he, John did not know what the resurrected body would be like, despite having seen Jesus after the resurrection.
Add to that: nobody ever knew who He was at first sight or by His voice iin any of the recorded appearances.
If it was His old body glorified, they would have recognized Him
Also Mark 16:12 After that, He appeared in a different form to two of them
A different form. Which of the two forms was His resurrected body? Neither.
In order to exist in the supernatural realm, it takes a completely different type of body, but to make an appearance on earth it is necessary to put on human bodies, just like angels do.

Sethproton

I supported one of my statements, How about you respond with scripture and logic to at least one of the three statements I made.
glorified body - no such phrase in the Bible, therefore the concept needs to be looked at
He is still a man - Nothing says that Jesus remained in a human body, the post resurrection appearances are in different forms, meaning what they saw was not His ONE true resurrected body
Mediator - that job is finished,

rakovsky

• Body
  • Soul
  • Spirit

IIRC, these are considered all parts of Creation, eg. God made a soul for Adam.

Before the Incarnation, the Trinity had three Persons, but is that it? Did the Holy Spirit or the Logos have a "spirit", for instance? Certainly they must have had a mind per each Person. Is that it? What were the Trinity composed of before Christ got His human body, soul, and spirit?
I rarely see classic Christian theologizing on the topic.

Stephen

When we die and leave our bodies behind, what are we? We know that we receive a new body from Heaven at the resurrection.
John, after having seen the resurrected Christ, said he did not know what our bodies would be like, but when we saw Him, our bodies would be like His. Obviously, what John saw post resurrection was not the body he was speaking of, because he had seen it. The new body has not yet been seen.
So one question is, without a human body, are we still considered human? And when we get that body from Heaven, and are revealed as the sons of God, what category of being will we be? Definately, not gods. But possibly not humans.

Adam was the formed dust (Gen 2:7) made alive. He was promised that from dust he was and to dust he would return. Adam started as dust and ended as dust. I presume he will be resurrected to a new body, but at present he is dust. To answer the titular question: "Dust".

As for the question of what we are after the resurrection, Psalm 8 answers the question. "Human". (See also Hebrews 2 exposition of Psalm 8).

Sethproton

Adam was the formed dust (Gen 2:7) made alive. He was promised that from dust he was and to dust he would return. Adam started as dust and ended as dust. I presume he will be resurrected to a new body, but at present he is dust. To answer the titular question: "Dust".

As for the question of what we are after the resurrection, Psalm 8 answers the question. "Human". (See also Hebrews 2 exposition of Psalm 8).
Dust does not go with us into the spiritual realm. After we die we are no longer dust, just a soul given life by the spirit.

Stephen

Dust does not go with us into the spiritual realm. After we die we are no longer dust, just a soul given life by the spirit.

Adam was also a soul given life. From dust he went, and to dust he returned. The bible seems pretty clear on the topic. The spirit realm wasn't mentioned as part of Adam's or anybody else's destiny.

We live in hope of bodily resurrection and the inheritance of the earth. We don't live in hope of living in a spirit realm (whatever that is).

Sethproton

Adam was also a soul given life. From dust he went, and to dust he returned. The bible seems pretty clear on the topic. The spirit realm wasn't mentioned as part of Adam's or anybody else's destiny.

We live in hope of bodily resurrection and the inheritance of the earth. We don't live in hope of living in a spirit realm (whatever that is).
This earth and entire universe will be destroyed.
The Bible teaches we have a tent here on earth that will be discarded, and a new body comes to us from Heaven.
2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

You see that? Two dwellings. The first, made of dust from the earth, is discarded. The second comes from Heaven, so we will be clothed appropriately for eternity.

Bob Carabbio

John, after having seen the resurrected Christ, said he did not know what our bodies would be like, but when we saw Him, our bodies would be like His.
"our bodies would be like His".

That's enough for me. We HAVE NO IDEA what "eternity in Heaven" will be like, what we'll do, how we'll live, will we have to eat - nothing. What use would we have for "a Mansion over the hill-top" if there's no night, no thunderstorms, no winter, and GOD is the light. Will we need bathrooms, or beds, or sinks, refrigerators, or sewage systems??? Will there be Cars? Will there be Electricity? Will there be Banjos (I hope - I'm not much of a harp person). The only thing I hang MY hat on is that it'll be better than this.

Sethproton

"our bodies would be like His".

That's enough for me. We HAVE NO IDEA what "eternity in Heaven" will be like, what we'll do, how we'll live, will we have to eat - nothing. What use would we have for "a Mansion over the hill-top" if there's no night, no thunderstorms, no winter, and GOD is the light. Will we need bathrooms, or beds, or sinks, refrigerators, or sewage systems??? Will there be Cars? Will there be Electricity? Will there be Banjos (I hope - I'm not much of a harp person). The only thing I hang MY hat on is that it'll be better than this.
One of the clues about heaven is that God dwells in unapproachable light, that we will then be able to approach.
That may be our clearest description of Heaven.