What beside faith is needed for salvation?

All Catholics, it seems, say we are not saved by faith alone because the word "alone" is not attached to faith in scripture. So could Catholics enlighten us and list what else besides faith is needed. Please provide the references for each item needed for salvation. Thanks.
Good luck! I believe it was Trent that anathematized justification by faith only, but they never defined what else was needed, leaving their descendants dangling in the wind. So the RCs here can only stamp their feet and shout, "not faith alone!" but cannot come up with a rational alternative.

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

Good luck! I believe it was Trent that anathematized justification by faith only, but they never defined what else was needed, leaving their descendants dangling in the wind. So the RCs here can only stamp their feet and shout, "not faith alone!" but cannot come up with a rational alternative.

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
You would think, as much as they rant and rave about faith alone not being right, that they would be eager to let us in on their secrets of salvation. I guess they want to keep those secrets to themselves.

Last edited:
You would think, as much as they rant and rave about faith alone not being right, that they would be eager to let us in on their secrets of salvation. I guess they want to keep those secrets to themselves.
It must be classified as Top Secret within the rcc because this same question has been asked time after time and time again but has yet to be answered. Good luck getting one rc to respond to this thread.

It must be classified as Top Secret within the rcc because this same question has been asked time after time and time again but has yet to be answered. Good luck getting one rc to respond to this thread.
All they know is that the romanist organization says it is not by faith alone. But their cult leader hasn't told even them what else must be done. Their leaders just treat them like mushrooms. Keep em in the dark and feed em BS!

I'll have a go. Shame about the nasty non Christian scorn yet again.

2005 Since it belongs to the supernatural order, grace escapes our experience and cannot be known except by faith. We cannot therefore rely on our feelings or our works to conclude that we are justified and saved.56 However, according to the Lord's words "Thus you will know them by their fruits"57 - reflection on God's blessings in our life and in the lives of the saints offers us a guarantee that grace is at work in us and spurs us on to an ever greater faith and an attitude of trustful poverty.

A pleasing illustration of this attitude is found in the reply of St. Joan of Arc to a question posed as a trap by her ecclesiastical judges: "Asked if she knew that she was in God's grace, she replied: 'If I am not, may it please God to put me in it; if I am, may it please God to keep me there.'"58

Catholics don't have a checklist for salvation. We believe that faith makes us desire to please God and strive to be like Christ and His holy apostles. We don't presume to know the mind of God but just to do His will.

So to answer your question, it's basically just a life of faith, hope and love at the end of the day. 1 Cor 13

I'll have a go. Shame about the nasty non Christian scorn yet again.

2005 Since it belongs to the supernatural order, grace escapes our experience and cannot be known except by faith. We cannot therefore rely on our feelings or our works to conclude that we are justified and saved.56 However, according to the Lord's words "Thus you will know them by their fruits"57 - reflection on God's blessings in our life and in the lives of the saints offers us a guarantee that grace is at work in us and spurs us on to an ever greater faith and an attitude of trustful poverty.

A pleasing illustration of this attitude is found in the reply of St. Joan of Arc to a question posed as a trap by her ecclesiastical judges: "Asked if she knew that she was in God's grace, she replied: 'If I am not, may it please God to put me in it; if I am, may it please God to keep me there.'"58

Catholics don't have a checklist for salvation. We believe that faith makes us desire to please God and strive to be like Christ and His holy apostles. We don't presume to know the mind of God but just to do His will.

So to answer your question, it's basically just a life of faith, hope and love at the end of the day. 1 Cor 13
But you are convinced it is not by faith alone as scripture says. I get that. So you walk around and never have any assurance that your sins have been nailed to the cross and are no longer counted against you. Jesus just didn't get the job done and you have to help Him. Well you don't have to presume to know the mind of God, He tells you. In His Holy Word what His mind is concerning salvation. Over 60 times He tells you. And that is just in the New Testament.

Catholics don't have a checklist for salvation. We believe that faith makes us desire to please God and strive to be like Christ and His holy apostles. We don't presume to know the mind of God but just to do His will....
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

But you are convinced it is not by faith alone as scripture says. I get that. So you walk around and never have any assurance that your sins have been nailed to the cross and are no longer counted against you. Jesus just didn't get the job done and you have to help Him. Well you don't have to presume to know the mind of God, He tells you. In His Holy Word what His mind is concerning salvation. Over 60 times He tells you. And that is just in the New Testament.

But you are convinced it is not by faith alone as scripture says.

As scripture says???? Scripture doesn't say that we are saved by faith alone.

As scripture says???? Scripture doesn't say that we are saved by faith alone.
Well it would IF you would bother to read it!
Acts 15:9. Rom. 3:25, 28, 30. Rom 4:11
Rom 5:1, 2. 9:30, 32. 2 Cor. 5:7 , Gal. 2:16, 3:2,5,8,11,22, Eph 2:8-9, Heb 11:7.
Do you see anything but the word FAITH in these verses? No you don't. So common sense should tell you that it means faith ALONE! Those verses are just a sample of all the verses that tell you and everyone else that we are saved by faith alone. Scripture does NOT say faith plus something else. The only way you can add something else to faith is to take God's word out of context or warp and twist to try and fit it to your apostate church's warped belief system!

Last edited:
All Catholics,it seems, say we are not saved by faith alone because the word "alone" is not attached to faith in scripture. So could Catholics enlighten us and list what else besides faith is needed. Please provide the references for each item needed for salvation. Thanks.
We will be judged on how we have lived are lives, so presumably a positive judgement leads to eternal life and a negative one leads to Hades. Then there is "the reward" that is also spoken of, so the same presumption still applies. A good reward leads to heaven, a bad reward leads to a bad place.

Well it would IF you would bother to read it!
Acts 15:9. Rom. 3:25, 28, 30. Rom 4:11
Rom 5:1, 2. 9:30, 32. 2 Cor. 5:7 , Gal. 2:16, 3:2,5,8,11,22, Eph 2:8-9, Heb 11:7.
Do you see anything but the word FAITH in these verses? No you don't. So common sense should tell you that it means faith ALONE! Those verses are just a sample of all the verses that tell you and everyone else that we are saved by faith alone. Scripture does NOT say faith plus something else. The only way you can add something else to faith is to take God's word out of context or warp and twist to try and fit it to your apostate church's warped belief system!
Common sense should tell you that if faith ALONE is as important as you say it is then "faith ALONE" should be mentioned in Scripture. IS it?
YES! ONE place:
James 2:24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. .

As Scripture DOES eliminate all other paths of justification
we are left with .....
Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith,
Then maybe it would be helpful to define what is faith, according to Paul and to James and Matthew 25.

Then maybe it would be helpful to define what is faith, according to Paul and to James and Matthew 25.
sure..
You Can Understand The Bible: A Practical And Illuminating Guide To Each Book In The Bible
By Peter Kreeft (Catholic author) Pages 291-292
http://www.amazon.com/You-Can-Understand-The-Bible/dp/1586170457#reader_1586170457
-----------------
quoting
"Actually, James' point is very clear and simple, it is not a contrast between faith and works but between a real faith, a faith that works, and a fake faith, one that does not. "Show me your faith apart from your works, and by my works will show you my faith."

We do not see a living plant's roots, only its fruits. Others cannot see your faith, for it is invisible.

They can see only your actions, which show your faith as a tulip flower shows you that a tulip bulb has taken root The apparent contradiction between James, who says that we, like Abraham, are justified by works (2: 21), and Paul, who says that we, like Abraham, are justified by faith (Rom 4), is explained by looking at the context.

Paul's context is the relationship between the believer and God,
while James' context is the relationship between the believer and his neighbor.

God sees your faith; your neighbor sees your works. Faith justifies us before God; works justify us before our neighbors.

A further explanation is that James means by “faith” only intellectual belief. “You believe that God is one; you do well.
Even the demons believe—and shudder” (2:19).
But Paul means by “faith” (in Galatians and Romans) something more than belief.
He means accepting Christ into your soul and thus into your life, where it produces good works as its fruit."

end quote

Back