What denomination does Sam Shamoun belong to?

rakovsky

Sam Shamounian is a well known Christian Apologist. He has Assyrian Christian background and had a debate on Limited Atonement with Matt. As I understand it, Sam's position runs along the lines that Christ died for the sins of mankind in general. Sam's position takes Calvinism to mean that God only died for the elect. I don't know what denomination Sam belongs to. In Facebook comments on Matt's radio, someone said he was moving toward Orthodoxy.

rakovsky

Assyrian Church of the East is separate from the Catholic Church, although the RC Church gives the ACE members communion nowadays if they want it.

Typically I would take the term Orthodox Catholic to refer to one of the Eastern Catholic Churches that converted from Orthodoxy to Catholicism one reason being that occasionally their people refer to themselves as Orthodox and Catholic and use the term Orthodox sometimes in confusing ways like this.

Historically like 100 years ago some EO Churches formally used the term Orthodox Catholic Church in their name, whereas nowadays they would explain that they are not under Rome when using the term Catholic.

In the Middle East I get the sense that many EO, ACE, OOs, and Catholics intermingle in churches much more than in Europe or the US, one reason being that they have fewer churches and are a minority.

rakovsky

Thanks for answering, Septextura.
It sounds not real clear if he is still ACE or if he converted to Catholicism. I don't know what the RC requirements are to convert from the ACEs, if any, because the RC Church communes them. Maybe if he joined a Catholic parish someplace then he would be considered Catholic.

rakovsky

Probably he is not real clear on the difference of ACE v RC v Orthodox Christian for his membership because he wants to emphasize mainstream Christianity in his talks and doesn't want to get sidetracked into conflicts.

rakovsky

It sounds Arabic, but he is not a convert from Islam. It says that his family belongs to the Assyrian Church of the East.
There is a common idea unfortunately in the west that Arabic countries are simply Muslim, but that is untrue in the case of most Arab countries. In most Arab countries there are Christian minorities. In some places like Lebanon, Egypt and Syria the Christian minority is significant, like 10-45% and has been higher in the past than at present.