What do atheists believe?

Mr Laurier

The one and only thing we believe, and that is based on evidence, is that nobody has provided sufficient evidence to justify believing in a god.
That's it.
Beyond this, we are about as unified as a collection of random cats.

SteveB

The one and only thing we believe, and that is based on evidence, is that nobody has provided sufficient evidence to justify believing in a god.
That's it.
Hmm.....

This pretty much destroys the claims made by other atheists who write extensively about atheist beliefs and thinking.

It further seems to destroy the claims made by atheists on this forum who claim that Christians don't understand what atheists think.

They have no coherence in their own beliefs or thoughts.

Thank you Mr. L.

Whatsisface

Hmm.....

This pretty much destroys the claims made by other atheists who write extensively about atheist beliefs and thinking.

It further seems to destroy the claims made by atheists on this forum who claim that Christians don't understand what atheists think.

Thank you Mr. L.
You can be an atheist and believe in ghosts, or not believe in ghosts, be a republican or democrat, or believe in global warming or not. Get the idea?
You don't understand what atheists think because you base your beliefs about this on the Bible, not on what atheists actually think.

You also get it wrong time and again about what atheists think, and you demonstrate this further by misrepresenting what they say. How many atheists have told you that you misrepresent them now? If you understood them, you wouldn't misrepresent them.

Most posts to you are attempts to get you to be reasonable. They fail.

jonathan_hili

That's it.
Though, to be fair, there are many atheists - as there are many religious believers - who just believe what they believe regarding the supernatural because of cultural influence rather than evidence.

SteveB

You can be an atheist and believe in ghosts, or not believe in ghosts, be a republican or democrat, or believe in global warming or not. Get the idea?
You don't understand what atheists think because you base your beliefs about this on the Bible, not on what atheists actually think.

You also get it wrong time and again about what atheists think, and you demonstrate this further by misrepresenting what they say. How many atheists have told you that you misrepresent them now? If you understood them, you wouldn't misrepresent them.

Most posts to you are attempts to get you to be reasonable. They fail.
As I said, this OP destroys, your claim, specifically, and any further reference to your opinions on my not understanding what atheists think is a bad joke gone awry.

Whatsisface

As I said, this OP destroys, your claim, specifically, and any further reference to your opinions on my not understanding what atheists think is a bad joke gone awry.
But you didn't explain why, you just asserted it. Care to explain why?

You also didn't answer the question, how many atheists have told you now that you misrepresent them?

Authentic Nouveau

That's it.

Why do you preach Darwinism?

One of your core athe beliefs?

Why do you believe nothing created everything?

Temujin

Hmm.....

Thank you Mr. L.
That is exactly the point. Atheists disagree amongst themselves about everything, except the non-existence of God. They resemble Christians in that.

Temujin

Though, to be fair, there are many atheists - as there are many religious believers - who just believe what they believe regarding the supernatural because of cultural influence rather than evidence.
Agreed for many people, a surprisingly large number, the notion of God is simply unimportant and irrelevant to their daily lives. Many of them if asked, will say they are Christian. In my country C of E is the default state. It actually takes the effort of decision to become an atheist.

Mr Laurier

Why do you preach Darwinism?

One of your core athe beliefs?

Why do you believe nothing created everything?
Because I have never preached Darwinism.

Is??? Please tell me about my "core athe beliefs".
I would like to know about them.

Because I do not believe that nothing created everything.

Mr Laurier

Hmm.....

Thank you Mr. L.

No Steve, It does not.
But thankyou for providing another example of creationist dysrepresentatation of atheism.

SteveB

That is exactly the point. Atheists disagree amongst themselves about everything, except the non-existence of God. They resemble Christians in that.
And yet those who believe God and place their trust in Jesus have everlasting life.

SteveB

No Steve, It does not.
But thankyou for providing another example of creationist dysrepresentatation of atheism.
So, anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong, regardless of just how accurate the perspective provided is.

Thank you for your demonstration of confirmation bias and preconceived ideas.

Nouveau

So, anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong, regardless of just how accurate the perspective provided is.

Thank you for your demonstration of confirmation bias and preconceived ideas.
Another ridiculous strawman. Your perspective was not accurate at all. If you think there is some conflict between the OP and what atheists have been saying then you've misunderstood one or the other, or both. Of course it is hard to tell which, given that you've made no attempt to explain yourself.

SteveB

Another ridiculous strawman. Your perspective was not accurate at all. If you think there is some conflict between the OP and what atheists have been saying then you've misunderstood one or the other, or both. Of course it is hard to tell which, given that you've made no attempt to explain yourself.
Why would I bother explaining what you keep saying cannot be true?
I've stated everything that needs to be said.
You keep tripping over yourself and trying to argue what is not arguable.

Nouveau

Why would I bother explaining what you keep saying cannot be true?
I've stated everything that needs to be said.
You keep tripping over yourself and trying to argue what is not arguable.
No need to explain yourself. You obviously can't support what you said. Instead we get content-free rhetoric like this.

Mr Laurier

No. Not at all.
As a REAL PERSON, and NOT the sole arbiter of reality, I do not define reality.
Please try to grasp this

Temujin

And yet those who believe God and place their trust in Jesus have everlasting life.
So they say. The evidence is a bit scant. Christianity was always very generous with tomorrow's pay rise. Just a bit niggardly about today.

I've argued as an atheist for a long time, but I'm really an agnostic, and topics about gnostic atheists and blah blah tend to bore me.

I think people do themselves a disservice by calling themselves atheists, because it sets off a certain set of responses from Christians. It tends to drag the conversation onto evolution, Kalam, consciousness, Anselm, etc etc etc, which usually goes nowhere at a fast pace. These are great educational topics for atheists/agnostics, but you start noticing a pattern. However, I think Christians feel safer arguing these topics, than confronting more personal stuff. Those discussions tend to end pretty fast.