What do Mormons believe?

Aaron32

But since Mormons DON'T "actually believe in and worshiip Jesus Christ", then it can't possibly "point that out", can it?

Apparently, if I understood Mormonism according to Theo, Mormons don't believe in Jesus Christ.
And what we are told Mormons believe, in actuality, Mormons deny they believe it.
And if we accepted what we are told about Mormonism, nobody would want it.

So - can we knock this out once and for all?

For Christians:
What DO Mormons believe?
How do you determine if that belief is a legitimate belief and not just propaganda from Mormon critics?
Please cite your answers.

Theo1689 said:But since Mormons DON'T "actually believe in and worshiip Jesus Christ", then it can't possibly "point that out", can it?

Apparently, if I understood Mormonism according to Theo, Mormons don't believe in Jesus Christ.

For me--the name of the church says a lot, IE--"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

It's almost an anomaly for someone who has their church named after an ordinary man, place, event, etc.---to throw rocks, and make judgments about who one believes in. It seems like the glass house scenario, IMO.

Acts 4:10-12---King James Version
10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

For me--the name of the church says a lot, IE--"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

It's almost an anomaly for someone who has their church named after an ordinary man, place, event, etc.---to throw rocks, and make judgments about who one believes in. It seems like the glass house scenario, IMO.

10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Watch the bulk of replies refute this post, instead of answering an open ended question and having our critics their answers.

*crickets*

You ACTUALLY are so naive and gullible to think that simply putting "Jesus Christ" on the wall of your church makes it actually Christ's?!

And you must also think that JW's are "Jehovah's" actual "Witnesses".
I bet you think abortion is "reproductive health care"! I mean, it's right there in the name, right?

You ACTUALLY are so naive and gullible to think that simply putting "Jesus Christ" on the wall of your church makes it actually Christ's?!

And you must also think that JW's are "Jehovah's" actual "Witnesses".
I bet you think abortion is "reproductive health care"! I mean, it's right there in the name, right?
Thank you for the side commentary...
Now, please answer the questions:

What DO Mormons believe?
How do you determine if that belief is a legitimate belief and not just propaganda from Mormon critics?

What DO Mormons believe?

If you don't know what Mormons believe, then why are you Mormon?
But thank you for admitting that Mormons are ignorant of theology.

lds.org
And if you don't know THAT, either....
Sheesh.

You really need to lose the attitude, you know that?
You do not get to "order" me around.
You do not get to "demand" I answer your stupid game-playing questions.
Get over yourself.

If you don't know what Mormons believe, then why are you Mormon?
I know what Mormons believe, but critics say that I either don't know, or I'm being (in the words of @preacher4truth) "disingenuous". I wanted give our critics the chance to define Mormonism, and how they arrive to their conclusions.
But thank you for admitting that Mormons are ignorant of theology.
Where did I admit that?
lds.org
And if you don't know THAT, either....
Sheesh.
Ok. So, LDS.org says mormons believe in Jesus Christ, but you say they don't. Why the discrepancy?
You really need to lose the attitude, you know that?
Asking for sources displays an attitude?
You do not get to "order" me around.
A question is not an order.
You do not get to "demand" I answer your stupid game-playing questions.
A question is not a demand.
By all means, don't answer the question if you don't want to.
However, with no baseline to determine "accurate" Mormon beliefs, you really have no justifiable reason to criticize those define Mormon beliefs.
Get over yourself.
By all means. I'd invite you to get over me also. When did I request to make myself the topic?

I know what Mormons believe, but critics say that I either don't know, or I'm being (in the words of @preacher4truth) "disingenuous". I wanted give our critics the chance to define Mormonism, and how they arrive to their conclusions.

And you do this by harassing them and chasing them around the forum with a huge ugly chip on your shoulder demanding they answer to your every whim?

Maybe your posts aren't WORTH responding to.... Did you ever consider that?
That's why Mormons like you and dberrie have to go around harassing people, "demanding" that they answer their every worthless criticism, because Mormons are too insecure in their beliefs (since they know Mormonism is bankrupt and worthless), and so they are needy for attention, like insecure little 2-year-olds.

Ok. So, LDS.org says mormons believe in Jesus Christ, but you say they don't. Why the discrepancy?

Mormons believe in a "Jesus Christ" which is completely DIFFERENT from the one of the Bible.

Asking for sources displays an attitude?

No, it displays a hopeless insecurity and and ignorance of where LDS beliefs come from.

And you do this by harassing them and chasing them around the forum with a huge ugly chip on your shoulder demanding they answer to your every whim?
No. I don't. That's just your projection and/or attempt to deflect from the topic.
Maybe your posts aren't WORTH responding to.... Did you ever consider that?
Then why are you responding?
Or why wouldn't it be worth to reveal the big mystery how Mormon determine official beliefs, and prove why it's wrong?
That's why Mormons like you and dberrie have to go around harassing people, "demanding" that they answer their every worthless criticism, because Mormons are too insecure in their beliefs (since they know Mormonism is bankrupt and worthless), and so they are needy for attention, like insecure little 2-year-olds.
No one is holding a gun to your head, Theo. Please stop posting at ANY time.
Who's the victim now?
Mormons believe in a "Jesus Christ" which is completely DIFFERENT from the one of the Bible.
Oh, ok.
And yet Mormons claim that the Bible is the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. From what other reference do they cite their claim in belief of Jesus Christ?
No, it displays a hopeless insecurity and and ignorance of where LDS beliefs come from.
So, when seeking understand from your intellectual adversary we should NOT ask questions? We just endlessly make claims for infinity and talk over each other?
When you ask questions are you saying you are hopelessly insecure and ignorant?
Are questions or asking your opposition the grounds of their belief not a valid method of discussion or debate, because it displays "hopeless insecurity and ignorance"?

Even so, despite my supposed emotional or mental state, how does that justify you from not answering the question? I mean, you've studied Mormonism for 30 years. I would think the answer should come quite easily.

Last edited:
No. I don't. That's just your projection and/or attempt to deflect from the topic.

Where in the Book of Mormon or Bible does it teach Jesus is the Firstborn son of God the Father and is our brother
Actually, both the Book of Mormon and Bible teach Jesus is the self-existing God so he couldn't have been God the Father's first-born child in the preexistence

Actually, both the Book of Mormon and Bible teach Jesus is the self-existing God so he couldn't have been God the Father's first-born child in the preexistence
I'll be happy to answer your non-related questions on another thread.

Being the first born in heaven wouldn't prevent God the Son from being self-existing, anymore than God the Son being the firstborn here to a mortal woman, and a Heavenly Father.(The Only Begotten).

I don't find anyone making that claim--anymore than claiming faith in Christ means one really does have faith in Christ.

Still--there is no salvation outside of the name of Jesus Christ--and if a church is indeed His--it will be called by His name, not the name of an ordinary man or place, etc.

Being the first born in heaven wouldn't prevent God the Son from being self-existing, anymore than God the Son being the firstborn here to a mortal woman, and a Heavenly Father.(The Only Begotten).
there are No pre-existing teachings in The Book of Mormon or Bible

Back