What do Mormons REALLY think of the Bible?

Theo1689

Theo1689 said:
Rom. 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
But hey, so far, that's the only support you have. You can't tell me what sin these children did. There's no explanation for it. You accept a lie just because a book said it.

So this Mormon thinks that the Bible is nothing but a "book of lies".

I really wish the LDS church would put THAT in their radio and TV spots.

"A message from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

organgrinder

I'd like to know what else in the Bible BOJ doesn't accept. We've seen a number of things so far and the language hasn't exactly been in secret code. Someone else will need to post as I believe he has put me on ignore which is fine. He won't answer a direct question.

brotherofJared

Not just “a” book. The word of God.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
A book that a church you don't believe was ever true, modified and handed down to you. Ok. It may or may not be the word of God. It might be the word of the Catholic church for all you know.

But that's okay, Even the book that the Catholic church got was modified. Thank goodness we have the Book of Mormon to verify the word of God that you have, right?

But what amazes me is the literalism you all invest in what you think the "word of God" says without ever thinking about it (like sheep). If there are none that do good, no not one. Then is the example of the "good" Samaritan is not a good example? Should it have been about the Not Good Samaritan? Or better, the Evil Samaritan? Do you really think the phrase "All have sinned" really included people who couldn't possibly sin? Because "All means all"? There are a few requirements necessary for it to be a sin. One, we have to know it's a sin. I already addressed ignorance. Paul claims he received mercy because he was ignorant. And second, you need to actually be able to do the sin. And to date, you are unable to tell me what sin a child can do and there's a good reason for that... there aren't any.

You will bet your salvation on that literalism but climb all over each other to berate the person who believes that when God says, "I said, ye are gods" Ooooh. No. That one isn't allowed. That can't possibly be what God meant. Swallow the cow, gag on the gnat. :rolleyes:

Theo1689

A book that a church you don't believe was ever true, modified and handed down to you. Ok. It may or may not be the word of God. It might be the word of the Catholic church for all you know.

And again, instead of trying to defend Mormonism (which you know you can't), you instead try to attack the Bible, which is akin to shooting yourself in the foot, since the LDS church accepts the Bible as the Word of God, and apparently respects it FAR more than you do.

But that's okay, Even the book that the Catholic church got was modified.

Okay, please provide EVIDENCE that it was allegedly "modified".
Since I can read Koine Greek, have access to the Greek manuscripts, and have studied textual criticism intensively, I find that you will have quote an impossible uphill battle.

Magdalena

But that's okay, Even the book that the Catholic church got was modified. Thank goodness we have the Book of Mormon to verify the word of God that you have, right?

But what amazes me is the literalism you all invest in what you think the "word of God" says without ever thinking about it (like sheep). If there are none that do good, no not one. Then is the example of the "good" Samaritan is not a good example? Should it have been about the Not Good Samaritan? Or better, the Evil Samaritan? Do you really think the phrase "All have sinned" really included people who couldn't possibly sin? Because "All means all"? There are a few requirements necessary for it to be a sin. One, we have to know it's a sin. I already addressed ignorance. Paul claims he received mercy because he was ignorant. And second, you need to actually be able to do the sin. And to date, you are unable to tell me what sin a child can do and there's a good reason for that... there aren't any.

You will bet your salvation on that literalism but climb all over each other to berate the person who believes that when God says, "I said, ye are gods" Ooooh. No. That one isn't allowed. That can't possibly be what God meant. Swallow the cow, gag on the gnat. :rolleyes:
You’ve proven yourself to be spiritually bankrupt. Are you shooting for outer darkness now?

organgrinder

We do believe the word of God says what it means and means what it says. And rational people look at the context. The "ye are gods" in context is talking about judges as if they were gods based on the way they acted. You and your church have never understood that, just as you do not understand saving grace, faith alone and the actual place of works which follow-- not precede-- salvation. You don't even understand the nature of the church. You demonstrate you are spiritually bankrupt by your continual postings and absolute adherence to faith plus works to equal salvation (exaltation in your case).

It is impossible to carry on a conversation with you as you change your definitions to suite your own personal adaptation of Mormonism.

Maggie asked if you are shooting for "outer darkness". Well, considering what the Bible says about the afterlife and one of only two possible destinations (heaven or hell), your ticket isn't punched yet for the latter, but you are in a long line unless you repent and believe the biblical Gospel of Jesus, the eternal Living Son of God who created all things, died on the cross for your sins and who will forgive you and bring you to new life if you simply repent and believe in Him.

Following that, you get to walk in the newness of life based upon biblical principals and the leading of the Holy Spirit who will indwell you and will do good works as the Spirit leads not for salvation, but because of salvation.

But since you have placed me on ignore, you won't see this. However, other lurkers will.

Magdalena

We do believe the word of God says what it means and means what it says. And rational people look at the context. The "ye are gods" in context is talking about judges as if they were gods based on the way they acted. You and your church have never understood that, just as you do not understand saving grace, faith alone and the actual place of works which follow-- not precede-- salvation. You don't even understand the nature of the church. You demonstrate you are spiritually bankrupt by your continual postings and absolute adherence to faith plus works to equal salvation (exaltation in your case).

It is impossible to carry on a conversation with you as you change your definitions to suite your own personal adaptation of Mormonism.

Maggie asked if you are shooting for "outer darkness". Well, considering what the Bible says about the afterlife and one of only two possible destinations (heaven or hell), your ticket isn't punched yet for the latter, but you are in a long line unless you repent and believe the biblical Gospel of Jesus, the eternal Living Son of God who created all things, died on the cross for your sins and who will forgive you and bring you to new life if you simply repent and believe in Him.

Following that, you get to walk in the newness of life based upon biblical principals and the leading of the Holy Spirit who will indwell you and will do good works as the Spirit leads not for salvation, but because of salvation.

But since you have placed me on ignore, you won't see this. However, other lurkers will.
He needs to see this.

organgrinder said:

En Hakkore

A book that a church you don't believe was ever true, modified and handed down to you...

But that's okay, Even the book that the Catholic church got was modified.
The first of these seems like an appeal to 1 Ne 13:26 and the second of these an allusion to your allegation of Josianic editing. The first problem is that the latter contradicts the former since the Book of Mormon claims the biblical texts went forth from the Jews to the Gentiles "in purity" (13:25) and were only later corrupted. The second problem is that while critical scholars do acknowledge the intervention of scribes in the transmission history of the biblical texts, known examples of this have nothing to do with the suppression of unique LDS doctrines...

There are a few requirements necessary for it to be a sin. One, we have to know it's a sin. I already addressed ignorance. Paul claims he received mercy because he was ignorant. And second, you need to actually be able to do the sin. And to date, you are unable to tell me what sin a child can do and there's a good reason for that... there aren't any.
I'm inclined to agree that infants are incapable of sin (or wrongdoing in less religious terms), one could appeal even more directly to Paul on this (see 1 Cor 14:20), but children are another matter entirely. Even unique LDS sacred texts reserve the sinless state you allude to for little children (Moroni 8), which permits older children the ability to sin; its remission through baptism being fixed at the age of eight (D&C 68:27). Furthermore, the concept of accountability stressed within your religious tradition implies not that little children are sinless, only that it will not be reckoned to them, they are under divine mercy. Indeed, anyone who thinks children -- yes, even those younger than eight -- are angelic innocents are out of touch with the behavior of real children or looking at them through the rose-colored glasses of mawkish eighteenth- and nineteenth-century Romantics or suffering from myopic nostalgia for their own childhood or some combination of these.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Theo1689

And again, instead of trying to defend Mormonism (which you know you can't), you instead try to attack the Bible, which is akin to shooting yourself in the foot, since the LDS church accepts the Bible as the Word of God, and apparently respects it FAR more than you do.

Okay, please provide EVIDENCE that it was allegedly "modified".
Since I can read Koine Greek, have access to the Greek manuscripts, and have studied textual criticism intensively, I find that you will have quote an impossible uphill battle.

So we've now proven that the Bible HASN'T been "modified", since BoJ has been unable to provide any evidence for his false claim attacking the Bible.

Glad we got that sorted out...

Fenuay

So this Mormon thinks that the Bible is nothing but a "book of lies".

I really wish the LDS church would put THAT in their radio and TV spots.

"A message from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."
That isn't what the church teaches. Every Sunday when I was a member we went to church for three hours. First was sacrament meeting. Then you had Sunday school. We covered the Bible every Sunday. And third hour was when you would go to priesthood for men different age groups for children and women to Relief Society. They have sin e changed. But when I was Mormon in Kansas, and Maryland and Hawaii we always had Bible Study.