What do you know or not know concerning Mormonism?

Janice Bower

When the Lord revealed to Moses the great purpose of life, he expressed himself in these words:

“For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.” (Moses 1:39.)

In other words, the Lord’s work is to bring about the resurrection (immortality) of all of his Father’s children and to make it possible for them to receive exaltation or godhood (eternal life). When one comes to understand these purposes, one’s heart rejoices in the knowledge that the greatest blessing available to man—godhood—may be received by those who desire it with all their hearts.

In a glorious sermon preached by the Prophet Joseph Smith, this same fundamental purpose of earth life was expressed—except that this time the other side of the matter, mankind’s responsibility, was emphasized: “You have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Deseret Book Co., 1938, p. 346.)

That is not biblical!

In other words, the Lord’s work is to bring about the resurrection (immortality)
The resurrection is one thing, immortality is another. The resurrection is an event. Immortality means that we'll never need to be resurrected again. And yes, I disagree with the wording. I do not believe that the two words are synonymous.
When one comes to understand these purposes, one’s heart rejoices in the knowledge that the greatest blessing available to man—godhood—may be received by those who desire it with all their hearts.
(y)
That is not biblical!
Offering your opinion isn't effective argumentation. Why do you think it's not biblical? What part isn't?

It seems odd that you'd offer an argument against something when your own religion very little to explain what it is that God offers, vague generalities at best ... "we'll be happy" but no one knows why (that's why I conclude that anything is better than being burned, right?). But the Bible is very clear about it.

These are Jesus Christ's own words, “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father." John 14:12

Can you explain exactly what it is that we will do that is greater than the works that Jesus did? Did he not work out salvation for all who would follow Him? What could possibly be greater than that?

The resurrection is one thing, immortality is another. The resurrection is an event. Immortality means that we'll never need to be resurrected again. And yes, I disagree with the wording. I do not believe that the two words are synonymous.

(y)

Offering your opinion isn't effective argumentation. Why do you think it's not biblical? What part isn't?

It seems odd that you'd offer an argument against something when your own religion very little to explain what it is that God offers, vague generalities at best ... "we'll be happy" but no one knows why (that's why I conclude that anything is better than being burned, right?). But the Bible is very clear about it.

These are Jesus Christ's own words, “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father." John 14:12

Can you explain exactly what it is that we will do that is greater than the works that Jesus did? Did he not work out salvation for all who would follow Him? What could possibly be greater than that?
When will you learn to read in context?

John 14:7 If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.”

8 Philip *said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus *said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? The one who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own, but the Father, as He remains in Me, does His works. 11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; otherwise believe because of the works themselves. 12 Truly, truly I say to you, the one who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I am going to the Father. 13 And whatever you ask in My name, this I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

He said they would do more than He had done because He was leaving, and they would be alive longer. He was talking about doing things here on earth.

Do you really need to know everything you’ll be doing after this life? It’s called living by faith and trusting God’s words to us.

Will you refuse to go if you cant become a god?

He said they would do more than He had done
That's not what he said. This is what he said, "will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do". Not "had done". You are reading your opinion into the verbiage.
He was leaving, and they would be alive longer. He was talking about doing things here on earth.
Where do u get the idea that he's talking about things "here on Earth". Now your putting words in God's mouth and placing limitations on what God can do. He is not subject to your limited vision. Can you show where God limited himself to your opinion?
Do you really need to know everything you’ll be doing after this life?
It's not a matter of need. We already know. That kind of question would only be posted by those who don't know and yet need to convince themselves that it'll be good ... Which exactly what you all do.
It’s called living by faith and trusting God’s words to us.
That's just it. I do trust his word, you apparently don't. Your faith, IMO, is demonstrated by the fact that you don't believe his word but instead assert your limited vision on them.
Will you refuse to go if you cant become a god?
You mean like you have? No. I believe I've already demonstrated that I won't.

That's not what he said. This is what he said, "will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do". Not "had done". You are reading your opinion into the verbiage.

Where do u get the idea that he's talking about things "here on Earth".
He said they would do greater works “because I am going to the Father.” He was leaving. They were staying on earth to continue His work.

Now your putting words in God's mouth and placing limitations on what God can do. He is not subject to your limited vision. Can you show where God limited himself to your opinion?
He said it, I didn’t.

It's not a matter of need. We already know. That kind of question would only be posted by those who don't know and yet need to convince themselves that it'll be good ... Which exactly what you all do.
I don’t need to convince myself it will be good. Christ told us it will. I trust Him.

That's just it. I do trust his word, you apparently don't. Your faith, IMO, is demonstrated by the fact that you don't believe his word but instead assert your limited vision on them.
My ”vision” consists of what Christ told us. Your words don’t make any sense. It’s mormonism that had to make up false promises to entice people to join and stay motivated.

You mean like you have? No. I believe I've already demonstrated that I won't.
You didn’t understand the question.

I could have stayed in mormonism and kept trying to climb that ladder to godhood. But it’s not the truth. The ladder doesn’t exist. The promise is empty. I would have gotten to the end of a road that didn’t lead to Christ.

I‘m much happier following only Him, and the things He told us… out of just extreme gratitude to Him for His love and mercy. And with no expectation of reward, other than returning to live with Him forever.

Last edited:
When the Lord revealed to Moses the great purpose of life, he expressed himself in these words:

“For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.” (Moses 1:39.)

In other words, the Lord’s work is to bring about the resurrection (immortality) of all of his Father’s children and to make it possible for them to receive exaltation or godhood (eternal life). When one comes to understand these purposes, one’s heart rejoices in the knowledge that the greatest blessing available to man—godhood—may be received by those who desire it with all their hearts.

In a glorious sermon preached by the Prophet Joseph Smith, this same fundamental purpose of earth life was expressed—except that this time the other side of the matter, mankind’s responsibility, was emphasized: “You have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Deseret Book Co., 1938, p. 346.)
The link is the source of the above post.

This is not in the Bible:

That is not biblical!

That is not biblical!
I wonder why this is scripture if we weren't meant to be one as gods...
John
That they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

John
That they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.
I don't know biblical languages. I wonder why Isaiah 43 and 44 and 45 are ignored by Mormons.

Isaiah 43
10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 44
6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 45
5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

If Jehovah our elohim is one Jehovah, (re: Deut. 6:4)why are Mormons told to pray only to Elohim but forbidden to pray to Jehovah?

I don't know biblical languages. I wonder why Isaiah 43 and 44 and 45 are ignored by Mormons.

Isaiah 43
10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 44
6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 45
5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

If Jehovah our elohim is one Jehovah, (re: Deut. 6:4)why are Mormons told to pray only to Elohim but forbidden to pray to Jehovah?
“Father, I pray not for the world, but for those whom thou hast given me out of the world, because of their faith, that they may be purified in me, that I may be in them as thou, Father, art in me, that we may be one, that I may be glorified in them.” (3 Ne. 19:29.)

The Bible records a similar prayer that the Savior uttered during his ministry in Palestine. (See John 17:11, 21–22.) On both occasions Jesus was praying for a oneness in purpose for all the disciples as the Father and he were one in purpose—not in essence or substance.

LDS.org

essence | ˈesəns | nounthe intrinsic nature or indispensable quality of something, especially something abstract, that determines its character:

John
I wonder why Joseph Smith insisted that the Father and Son can't dwell in a person's heart. (D&C 130:3).

“Father, I pray not for the world, but for those whom thou hast given me out of the world, because of their faith, that they may be purified in me, that I may be in them as thou, Father, art in me, that we may be one, that I may be glorified in them.” (3 Ne. 19:29.)

The Bible records a similar prayer that the Savior uttered during his ministry in Palestine. (See John 17:11, 21–22.) On both occasions Jesus was praying for a oneness in purpose for all the disciples as the Father and he were one in purpose—not in essence or substance.

LDS.org

essence | ˈesəns | nounthe intrinsic nature or indispensable quality of something, especially something abstract, that determines its character:
Mormons teach that there are multiple Gods. There are not multiple Gods for God's people.

This is not in the Bible:
So, can you show us how the Bible describes God's work. How is that statement not Biblical? Were you looking for a.word for word quote?

If that is true then all of your arguments are also not in the Bible. You may quote a passage but your explanation of it will not from the Bible.

Back