What exactly is the 'church'?

Nondenom40 said:
Your earliest popes were simply bishops of rome and there is no papacy in the n.t. so Peter was never a pope. Your list is incomplete at best and fraudulent at worst.
And where are the names of your church leaders going back through all 2000 years?
is that a question listed in the rcc online guide book for you to ask non catholics?

is that something you believe is necessary to know? if so, why?
is there a verse in scripture requiring believers to know? if so, plz list the verse(s).

Is having a list of 2000 yrs of names a requirement for salvation?

the name forever etched into my heart since I've been saved is 1 - Christ.

Last edited:
If you want to be in the Church that Jesus established, you do.
Why would a believer want to be in the 'Church' established by the catholic 'jesus' (the rcc). btdt. His church isn't made or 'established' by men. It's of God thru Christ Himself.

Psalm 127:1 Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
right, catholics labor in vain.

If you want to be in the Church that Jesus established, you do.

Psalm 127:1 Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Why? Give me a verse that says i have to have a human chain or i can't be saved? Thats utter nonsense. Salvation isn't dependent on what church you join but who you believe in. If youre trust is in some list, youre lost. And the Lord did establish and is building (present tense) His church, the ekklesia. Not the rcc.

lost to wars, plagues, migrations, persecutions. etc

I can't tell you the name of my grandfather's grandfather: yet I exist;;
The fact that I exist is proof that my grandfather's grandfather existed
The fact that you exist prooves you had a grandfather. There is documentation that show that your grandfather and his grandfather existed.

The kuriakon's membership is visible

The ekklesia's membership is only known to God

The visible institutional Church from Scripture has a definite hierarchical chain of command as the Council of Jerusalem shows. What happened to that aspect of the visible church after the reformation?

that my grandfather existed proves he had a grandfather:
my lack of documentation doesn't change that.
And considering that it is possible to buy birth certificates and such, documentation does not mean too much.

Or, going back in history, the self-proclaimed "pillar and ground of the truth" used the "Donation of Constantine" document as proof. Later found to be fake; that is, not true. So this foundation of truth (or should I say "truth") was partially based on non-truth.

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

The visible institutional Church from Scripture has a definite hierarchical chain of command as the Council of Jerusalem shows. What happened to that aspect of the visible church after the reformation?
lay out that hierarchical chain of command at the Council of Jerusalem

lay out that hierarchical chain of command at the Council of Jerusalem
Scripture tells us that it was led by Peter and James and consisted of a college of other Elders. It represented final arbitration on issues raised in the Christian community. That has been the enduring feature of the Apostolic Church right up until today. It was discarded by those who left the Church in the reformation.

Scripture tells us that it was led by Peter and James and consisted of a college of other Elders. It represented final arbitration on issues raised in the Christian community. That has been the enduring feature of the Apostolic Church right up until today. It was discarded by those who left the Church in the reformation.
Not so Stella;
your church tells you it was and you just Parrot
the Words of your Masters

Numbers 21:10
And the children of Israel set forward,
and pitched in Oboth.​

Paul, the Pharasse; Set in the Seat of Moses, not Peter

This is a very narrow way of looking at things. It's like saying heaven isn't a place, its the congregation of God, angels and saints. I assume it is a way of denying the Church its God given authority to teach, govern and sanctify by saying "we're all church."
No it is the truth. Your institution fails every scriptural test, so it is not the church established by Jesus. Actions speak.

Back