What foods do you like for Christmas

balshan

Do you have foods that are special to your family for Xmas? I grew up with a very English Christmas meal hot roast and plum pudding, custard which is not very particular if the weather has hit extreme temperatures. Now we adapt the meal depending on the weather. This year it looks like it might be mild so roast turkey and ham, gravy roast vegetables may very well be the menu. I never make Christmas cake or puddings as I am the only one who eats them.

However if it turns hot it will more likely be cooked meats with salads. Sometimes we will have an Asian meal things like char sui pork, san choy bau, asian salad etc. I tend not to get things like prawns as they become too pricey at Christmas time.

Now desserts tend to be trifles, ice cream cake, chocolate ripple cakes things that are simple and can be prepared before hand.

My favorite Christmas meal is roast beef, potatoes and Yorkshire pudding with any green vegetable. Red Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for dessert. I grew up in America and never understood why Christmas dinner was a duplicate of Thanksgiving dinner. Because I don't cook anymore, I just pop a frozen dinner in the microwave.

My favorite Christmas meal is roast beef, potatoes and Yorkshire pudding with any green vegetable. Red Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for dessert. I grew up in America and never understood why Christmas dinner was a duplicate of Thanksgiving dinner. Because I don't cook anymore, I just pop a frozen dinner in the microwave.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving for obvious reasons. Sounds tasty though. Frozen dinners can be tasty. I hope you have a wonderful day with Jesus.

I am trying to nail down who is coming.

On 18th it is my husband's birthday all our sons and there family will turn up. They expect that dinner will be fish and chips because they are my husband's favourite and he is not allowed normally to buy take away foods. The exception is his birthday. His birthday is also the start of Hanukah so we might do doughnuts, for the Jewish family members. This post just reminded me of that fact.

Christmas Eve one son and his wife turn up with their sons. It was a Scandavian style Xmas thing with loads of chocolate, hot chocolate or cold chocolate milkshakes and books, books, books. This year because one grandson has Type 1 diabetes we will have mini meatballs, vege sticks etc and books, books, books.

Christmas Day a friend is coming she lost her brother recently and has no family to have Christmas with and we are not sure about the other son and his family. Still waiting. Still haven't decided, waiting to hear what the weather will be. We will not be cooking if it hits 40 degrees celsius.

The third son's wife finds Christmas really upsetting and it is long drive for them, we will catch up with in the New Year.

So celebrations are spread out.

Americans usually have turkey and pumkins pie. When my middle brother got older, my mother started buying ham; he didn't care for turkey and she always catered to him if they lived near each other. But she usually lived several states away or on the other side of the Atlantic. She never settled down until her late eighties and wasn't emotionally close to her six children.

Your Aisian meal I imagine is good. I've never prepared Asian food. My husband more or less forbad it.

Americans usually have turkey and pumkins pie. When my middle brother got older, my mother started buying ham; he didn't care for turkey and she always catered to him if they lived near each other. But she usually lived several states away or on the other side of the Atlantic. She never settled down until her late eighties and wasn't emotionally close to her six children.

Your Aisian meal I imagine is good. I've never prepared Asian food. My husband more or less forbad it.
Asian food is very tasty.

Yep we have both turkey and ham if the mob is coming. I love turkey with red currant jelly/ We also have gravy.
It is a shame about your mother. I have 8 siblings, I understand.

Asian food is very tasty.

Yep we have both turkey and ham if the mob is coming. I love turkey with red currant jelly/ We also have gravy.
It is a shame about your mother. I have 8 siblings, I understand.
I think red currant jelly would be good with turkey. Most Americans back in the sixties and earlier liked cranberry sauce. My husband really loved it.

Back