What is a centrist (Americans only, sorry foreigners)

Furion

So we have 1 CARM person claiming to be a lefty, vibise.

Now there is a rash of people claiming to be "centrists"

What policy positions do centrists have?
Who is your leader, your hero?

Biden?

lol

Backup

Biden?

lol
Biden is a centrist. Most establishment Republicans and Democrats are. Clinton was, W. Bush is now. Bernie and AOC are leftists.

Michael R2

Biden?

lol
There are no specific policy issues that makes someone a centrist. Basically, it is a position that both sides of the spectrum will have ideas that can be brought together to create a policy that is acceptable to both sides. This usually means that the more extreme positions are left out, but still must be considered.
This doesn't mean that I am neutral on every issue. I tend to agree more with the left on most (not all) social issues, and more with the right on most (not all) fiscal issues.

vibise

There are no specific policy issues that makes someone a centrist. Basically, it is a position that both sides of the spectrum will have ideas that can be brought together to create a policy that is acceptable to both sides. This usually means that the more extreme positions are left out, but still must be considered.
This doesn't mean that I am neutral on every issue. I tend to agree more with the left on most (not all) social issues, and more with the right on most (not all) fiscal issues.
What fiscal issues? The RW claim to be fiscally responsible but the economy does poorly when they are in the WH and they leave office with huge increases in the debt and deficit. Their main economic policy is unjustified tax cuts for rich people. When Dems are in office the stock market does much better and they decrease the deficit/debt.

I think that the GOP's claimed concern over the debt is aimed for the sole purpose of blocking Dem programs and policies, and for some reason, people think this is a principled position, which is clearly not in evidence.

What is your take? What fiscal issues espoused by the RW do you approve of?

Michael R2

What fiscal issues? The RW claim to be fiscally responsible but the economy does poorly when they are in the WH and they leave office with huge increases in the debt and deficit. Their main economic policy is unjustified tax cuts for rich people. When Dems are in office the stock market does much better and they decrease the deficit/debt.

I think that the GOP's claimed concern over the debt is aimed for the sole purpose of blocking Dem programs and policies, and for some reason, people think this is a principled position, which is clearly not in evidence.

What is your take? What fiscal issues espoused by the RW do you approve of?
I didn't mention current RW positions. My own positions lean to the right (at least what was commonly seen as more conservative). I think fiscal responsibility has gone the way of the dodo, and may never return, but I still believe that the government should never use deficit spending except in the case of a true national emergency. And yes, I accept the current pandemic as a true emergency.

Ontos

A centrist is someone who loves to says they're "open-minded", but clearly votes down party lines.

Authentic Nouveau

Biden?

lol
That person's side kick pretends to be centrist.
But never disagrees with the ultra left. The Biblical version of centrist is in this verse:

A double minded person is unstable in all their ways.

O'Biden sample of centrism is on his 9/11 12 minute rant, he panders to the Islamic terrorists.
We have some, far from all who are "independent" and claim to be "centrist. Basic democrates who are ashamed of their Komrades.

Howie

T

Biden?

lol
It's a media label. IOW, it's made up, fake label.

Authentic Nouveau

Biden?

lol
The most extreme centrists devote their energies smearing Conservatives. Can you picture systemicbonnieism applied to smearing the hawvud guru?

Furion

The most extreme centrists devote their energies smearing Conservatives. Can you picture systemicbonnieism applied to smearing the hawvud guru?
Seems like self proclaimed centrists here cannot articulate their centrists positions.

They are certainly not libertarian given their agreement with government control, like mandates.

I will just conclude they are as far left as their posts show.