WHAT IS GOD?

God gives the Spirit without limit. John 3:34
WHAT IS GOD?
?Sda -
?”He is material, organized intelligence, possessing both body and parts.” ( https://brightbeams.org/adventist-pioneers/personality-of-god/ )
?Bible
?24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:24.
Then they remembered the days of old, of Moses his servant. Where is the one who brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? Where is the one who put within them His Holy Spirit; Who caused His glorious arm to go at the right hand of Moses, Who divided the waters before them to make for Himself an everlasting name; Isa 63:11-12

The Spirit of the Lord is not limited; “My words will benefit those who live righteously." Micah 2:7

For the ways of the Lord are right; The righteous walk in them, ... Hosea 14:9

You send forth Your Spirit, they are created; And You renew the face of the earth. Psalm 104:30

Israel has been saved by the Lord With an everlasting salvation... “I am the Lord, and there is no one else." Isa 45:16-18

“Rain down, you heavens, from above, And let the skies pour down righteousness;
Let the earth open, let them bring forth salvation, And let righteousness spring up together. I, the Lord, have created it." Isa 45:8

Last edited:
Visit me O Lord with Your salvation; Psalm 106:4
WHAT IS GOD?
24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:24.
He is not a 'what'...
What is man, that You should exalt him, That You should set Your heart on him,
That You should visit him every morning; Job 7:17-18

Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; Psalm 143:8

In the morning, He awakens My ear To hear as the learned. Isa 50:4

Which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 2 Pt 1:18-19

Last edited:
The last Adam (Christ) became a life-giving spirit [restoring the dead to life]. 1 Cor 15:45
That is funny because the Sda founder that wrote the statement in the opening post asked the question in those very words.

This is the exact quote from his pamphlet.

“WHAT IS GOD? He is material, organized intelligence, possessing both body and parts.” ( https://brightbeams.org/adventist-pioneers/personality-of-god/ )
You thought that I was altogether like you, but I will correct you; Ps 50:21

Those who are under the control of their old sinful nature can never please God. Rom 8:8-9

It is the Spirit who gives life; humanistic endeavors doesn’t give life [ the flesh is no help at all]. John 6:63

"Without Me you can do nothing." John 15:5

“But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."
John 15:26
"Because I live, you will live also."

Last edited:
The last Adam (Christ) became a life-giving spirit [restoring the dead to life]. 1 Cor 15:45

You thought that I was altogether like you, but I will correct you; Ps 50:21

Those who are under the control of their old sinful nature can never please God. Rom 8:8-9

It is the Spirit who gives life; humanistic endeavors doesn’t give life [ the flesh is no help at all]. John 6:63

"Without Me you can do nothing." John 15:5

“But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."
John 15:26
"Because I live, you will live also."
His Spirit is a being not a what or IT.
Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise - born by the power of the Spirit.

For everyone born of God overcomes the world. 1 John 5:4

WHAT IS GOD?

?Sda -

?”He is material, organized intelligence, possessing both body and parts.” ( https://brightbeams.org/adventist-pioneers/personality-of-god/ )

?Bible

?24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”
John 4:24

The individuals who fabricated (created) the SDA Church were anti-Trinitarian anthropormorphites...
...As such they militantly taught Father God was a flesh bound hominid with organs & "parts".
...It was taught that only the Father was "God" in the ultimate sense.
....& that "God" had ALL the organs, members and parts of a perfect man.

Sabbath Herald, September 5, 1878: "Thus it is declared that God has all the members and parts of a perfect man. This is not said once, nor twice, but many times, not in parables and symbols, and figures, but directly and plainly"
Several queries present themselves here: Is Christ the very and eternal God? So they say. Did Christ have a body? This they postively affirm. Is he inseparably connected with that body? and has he not that body in Heaven? This they plainly declare. Is he not the true God? So they say. Then has not the true God a body? Thus the creed directly says. Then certainly God has a body—occupies a body. Why, then, do the creeds say that he has no body? Again we are told by these creeds that God is everywhere, as much in one place as another, and no more in one place than another. But the Bible says that Jesus ascended up on high, and is at the right hand of the Father. Did he ascend everywhere? Was his body divided into innumerable particles, and scattered throughout the universe? If the Father is everywhere and nowhere in particular, where did Jesus go? Again it is claimed that saints at death go to Heaven, where God is. Do they go everywhere, and nowhere in particular? All this seems to me to be the sheerest nonsense. It is opposed to common sense and to the Bible. No; God is a person, a real being.

Michael or creature Christ was understood to be mutable (i.e. subject to mutation)...
...It was critical for SDA theology to allow for a Christ that could have sinned & lost His salvation.
....Lucifer was an archangel - Michael WAS an archangel - if Lucifer could sin so could Michael.

God is Spirit. The Father does not have a physical body. Since the incarnation, the Son had had one. The Holy Spirit does not have a body. Adventists want to believe that the Father and Son have always had physical bodies. This poses three conundrums. One, three-dimensional space must have been eternal and uncreated. A physical body will occupy three-dimensional space. Two, why must the Father and Son have physical bodies to exist when the Holy Spirit does not? Three, what happened to the Son's supposed physical body after the incarnation?

God is Spirit. The Father does not have a physical body. Since the incarnation, the Son had had one. The Holy Spirit does not have a body. Adventists want to believe that the Father and Son have always had physical bodies. This poses three conundrums. One, three-dimensional space must have been eternal and uncreated. A physical body will occupy three-dimensional space. Two, why must the Father and Son have physical bodies to exist when the Holy Spirit does not? Three, what happened to the Son's supposed physical body after the incarnation?

I'm sort of surprised that more folks don't realize SDA's are in agreement w/ the Mormons on the Trinity Doctrine....
...That they literally are word for word similar in what they define the Trinity to be.
...Mormons are openly anti-Trinitarian.

Mormons are honest about this which I respect them for - SDA's have not been honest....
...Look at the following statements below from authoritative Mormons in good standing.
...& compare them with Ellen White's statements - jaw dropping.

Although the three members of the Godhead are distinct personages, their Godhead is "one" in that all three are united in their thoughts, actions, and purpose, with each having a fulness of knowledge, truth, and power. Each is a God. This does not imply a mystical union of substance or personality. Joseph Smith taught: Many men say there is one God; the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are only one God. I say that is a strange God anyhow-three in one, and one in three! It is a curious organization anyhow. "Father, I pray not for the world, but I pray for those that thou hast given me…that they may be one as we are."…I want to read the text to you myself-"I am agreed with the Father and the Father is agreed with me, and we are agreed as one." [TPJS, p. 372; cf. John 17:9-11, 20-21; also cf. WJS, p. 380]. https://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Godhead

If by the Doctrine of the Trinity one means the New Testament teaching that there is a Father a Son, and a Holy Ghost, all three of whom are fully divine, then Latter-day Saints believe in the Doctrine of the Trinity. It is as simple as that. Page 71 https://archive.org/details/aremormonschrist0000robi/page/72/mode/2up?q=trinity

However, if by “the doctrine of the Trinity” one means the doctrine formulated by the councils of Nicaea and Chalcedon and elaborated upon by subsequent theologians and councils – that God is three coequal persons in one substance or essence – then Latter-day Saints do not believe it, because it is not Biblical. Page 72 https://archive.org/details/aremormonschrist0000robi/page/72/mode/2up?q=trinity

And there is no passage of scripture or combination of scriptures for which the doctrine of an abstract, absolute, transcendent, consubstantial, coeternity unity in Trinity existing unknowably and incomprehensibly WITHOUT BODY, PARTS, or PASSIONS and outside space and time can be called a fair “summary”. There is a vast difference between a summary and an elaboration. Page 73

https://archive.org/details/aremormonschrist0000robi/page/72/mode/2up?q=body

Compare the above LDS statements about the Trinity with Ellen White's / SDA Pioneer statements below.

Ellen White, Sabbath Herald, September 4, 1900
As a member of the human family he was mortal, but as a God he was the fountain of life to the world.

Sabbath Herald, March 7, 1854
The first article of the Methodist Religion, p. 8. There is but one living and true God, everlasting, without body or parts, of infinite power, wisdom and goodness : the maker and preserver of all things, visible and invisible. And in unity of this God-head, there are three persons of one substance, power and eternity ; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. In this article like the Catholic doctrine, we are taught that there are three persons of one substance, power and eternity making in all one living and true God, everlasting without body or parts. But in all this we are not told what became of the body of Jesus who had a body when he ascended, who went to God who " is everywhere" or nowhere

Ellen White, James White & DM Canright, Sabbath Herald August 29,1878
And then the Bible never uses the phrases, " trinity," " triune God," " three in one," " the holy three," " God the Holy Ghost," etc. But it does emphatically say there is only one God, the Father. And every argument of the Trinitarian to prove three Gods in one person, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost, all of them of one substance, and every way equal to each other, and all three forming but one, contradicts itself, contradicts reason, and contradicts the Bible.”

&
“We must know the Father as the only true God. Then there is no true God besides the Father. But we must also know his Son Jesus Christ, whom he has sent. How simple and plain is this doctrine, and how abundantly sustained by the Holy Bible.”

&
All are familiar with the first chapter of John. This has been called the stronghold of trinitarians and the dread of unitarians ; but the simple truth is very plain. It does not show that the Son of God did exist with the Father before the world was, and that he made the world. Thus it reads :— " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him ; and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life ; and the life, was the light of men." "He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not." John 1 : 1-4, 10. But does it not say that the Word was God ? Yes ; and it says that he was with God. Being the Son of God, of course he is properly called God. That is his name;; but he was not the very and eternal God himself, for it says that he was with God. If he was with God this implies that he was distinct from God the Father.” D.M. Canright ,Signs of the Times March 21, 1878

Reactions: Mik
Back