What is it?

Furion

The explanation of scientific means does not need to go deeper than the scientific ends requires.

Lol. That is funny.

Your OP is about the meaningless of sentience found in materialist/dualist thinking.

No, it's not.

All we need to do to refute that is explain the origin of sentience, and thus the origin of meaning. We don't need get into the anatomy of sentience except as far as to show it coupled to matter in all cases.

It adds a more accurate understanding of our actual mental functioning and relation to the external world so greater happiness can be achieved through healing issues. It goes where prayer cannot.
Goodness, you have a lot of accounting to do. Even the origin of meaning is on the list.

You have not shown it cannot be uncoupled, just more shoddy assumptions on your part.

If you don't even know what it is, then surely you are foolish to make many assumptions.

Whatsisface

And yet profoundly true. Affecting the mind by poking and prodding the brain does not prove separation, it proves it can be effected by poking and prodding.
I don't quite understand what you mean by" does not prove separation".

It proves there is a direct link between the mind and the brain. Especially when certain brain damage can change your personality.

Furion

I don't quite understand what you mean by" does not prove separation".

It proves there is a direct link between the mind and the brain. Especially when certain brain damage can change your personality.
No one claimed there was no interaction or link.

5wize

Lol. That is funny.
What's so funny about that? If you want to drop a cannon ball on someone's head 200 yards away we use Newtonian science to deliver that, not quantum mechanics, even though at some level it underlays the event.
No, it's not.

Goodness, you have a lot of accounting to do. Even the origin of meaning is on the list.

You have not shown it cannot be uncoupled, just more shoddy assumptions on your part.
Yet we have shown that it isn't uncoupled in all witnessed reality (which btw in itself relegates the Bible to nonsense in its main premise). You want to show it can be uncoupled and prove the veracity of the Bible's foundation? Have at it and I'll trade my observation for your faith. Waiting.......
If you don't even know what it is, then surely you are foolish to make many assumptions.
We observe what sentience is attached to and how it responds to physical stimuli. This is by no means thorough knowledge but it is enough to know when we are having smoke blown up our arse counter to what we do know about it.

Furion

What's so funny about that? If you want to drop a cannon ball on someone's head 200 yards away we use Newtonian science to deliver that, not quantum mechanics, even though at some level it underlays the event.

Yet we have shown that it isn't uncoupled in all witnessed reality (which btw in itself relegates the Bible to nonsense in its main premise). You want to show it can be uncoupled and prove the veracity of the Bible's foundation? Have at it and I'll trade my observation for your faith. Waiting.......

We observe what sentience is attached to and how it responds to physical stimuli. This is by no means thorough knowledge but it is enough to know when we are having smoke blown up our arse counter to what we do know about it.
What is funny is your cocksure attitude, thinking you control the level of where science needs to go to establish truth.

These silly points have done nothing of the sort, the scriptures indicate man is body, soul and spirit. You can't even scientifically evidence the mind and brain are one in the same.

You are correct on one point, it by no means proves thorough knowledge, or even sufficient knowledge. And here we are, right where we started.

5wize

What is funny is your cocksure attitude, thinking you control the level of where science needs to go to establish truth.

These silly points have done nothing of the sort, the scriptures indicate man is body, soul and spirit. You can't even scientifically evidence the mind and brain are one in the same.

You are correct on one point, it by no means proves thorough knowledge, or even sufficient knowledge. And here we are, right where we started.
You being right were you started is expected but I have moved into successfully arguing that purpose and meaning are coupled to matter and you cannot successfully decouple them.

I asked earlier what meaning sentience has separated from the sentient thing. What is it?

Furion

You being right were you started is expected but I have moved into successfully arguing that purpose and meaning are coupled to matter and you cannot successfully decouple them.

I asked earlier what meaning sentience has separated from the sentient thing. What is it?
Purpose and meaning are coupled to matter?

Is that what you were trying to prove?

You push on the matter, and you find purpose. Ok, sounds awesome.

5wize

Purpose and meaning are coupled to matter?

Is that what you were trying to prove?

You push on the matter, and you find purpose. Ok, sounds awesome.
Sounds better than floating around detached from everything that gives you any purpose and meaning. Come on, tell me... absent you, what you are, what is God's purpose and meaning?

Furion

Sounds better than floating around detached from everything that gives you any purpose and meaning. Come on, tell me... absent you, what you are, what is God's purpose and meaning?
Probably easier for you to read about God's purposes and meaning for yourself.

Seems to me Gods purpose for you is to give you till your last breath. Small godz only get one chance. But really, who knows.

5wize

Probably easier for you to read about God's purposes and meaning for yourself.

Seems to me Gods purpose for you is to give you till your last breath. Small godz only get one chance. But really, who knows.
Had to do all that reading in 4 years of Christian academy... twice cover to cover.

I couldn't find any meaning or purpose for God defined outside man and I am defying you to show me that that isn't so. Like I said - there seems to be no purpose or meaning, even for God, outside of what we are. That's what the Bible defines. A relationship between God and His matter, one not seeming to have any purpose without the other.

Furion

Had to do all that reading in 4 years of Christian academy... twice cover to cover.
I am continually fascinated how most of y'all had years of christian schooling. I barely knew anything about God till I was an adult. I did know people liked to steal baby Jesus around Christmas. It's the difference between knowing God and knowing about God, seems to me.

I couldn't find any meaning or purpose for God defined outside man and I am defying you to show me that that isn't so. Like I said - there seems to be no purpose or meaning, even for God, outside of what we are. That's what the Bible defines. A relationship between God and His matter, one not seeming to have any purpose without the other.

Do you actually think you could understand it anyway?

He created the angels, an entire history we know next to nothing about. He tells us things are coming no human can even conceive. Seems to me your imagination is stuck in snark. And lack of evidence proves nothing, you know this. I'll go with Gods imagination on what He has prepared for those who love Him.

5wize

I am continually fascinated how most of y'all had years of christian schooling. I barely knew anything about God till I was an adult. I did know people liked to steal baby Jesus around Christmas. It's the difference between knowing God and knowing about God, seems to me.

Do you actually think you could understand it anyway?

He created the angels, an entire history we know next to nothing about. He tells us things are coming no human can even conceive. Seems to me your imagination is stuck in snark. And lack of evidence proves nothing, you know this. I'll go with Gods imagination on what He has prepared for those who love Him.
LoL, so now you are an advocate of not knowing everything about a topic and making grand and binding assumptions about it anyway?

check-mate.

Furion

LoL, so now you are an advocate of not knowing everything about a topic and making grand and binding assumptions about it anyway?

check-mate.
Simply giving you one thing you did not consider, and another you seem clueless about.

If you actually think you understand the teachings of scripture "better" than me, then it's a self defeating claim, atheist.