What is Messianic Judaism

Marcha

It's just a marketing term used to evangelize to traditional Jews.

Messianic Jews are just Jewish apostates. They keep Rabbinical laws like wearing kippah's, lighting Shabbat candles, and biblical commandments like tallit, tzitzit, etc., just to appear Jewish in order to evangelize.
Good answer

Anthony

Well, in my experience and background, a Messianic Jew is simply a Jewish person who believes that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah of Israel.
He is the fulfillment of the old testament prophecies from Genesis to Malachi.

Which is what non-Jewish Jesus followers believe.....

There may indeed be cultural practices which differ, but in general, it's that simple.

And those cultural practices which differ from gentile Jesus followers are the Hebrew biblical festivals, which are held every year.
Who according to you mean 'Gentiles'.

In OT, the word 'Guyim' meant nations.

If one reads OT, Abraham was prophesied on to be the father of many nations. The prophecy was to do with the multiplication of his seed. The prophecy was made when he was childless. He believed in YHWH's prophecy when he was without the child of promise. This was accounted to him for righteousness.

Most Christians don't know that they are from the mixed seed of Abraham because the northern kingdom of Israel was dispersed after their Assyrian captivity - save alone some settled in Samaria.

Heb 11:11 By belief also, Sarah herself was enabled to conceive seed, and she bore a child when she was past the normal age, because she deemed Him trustworthy who had promised.

12 And so from one, and him as good as dead, were born as numerous as the stars of the heaven, as countless as the sand which is by the seashore. Gen. 15:5; 22:17.

SteveB

Who according to you mean 'Gentiles'.
All non-Jewish people.

In OT, the word 'Guyim' meant nations.
Yep.

If one reads OT, Abraham was prophesied on to be the father of many nations. The prophecy was to do with the multiplication of his seed. The prophecy was made when he was childless. He believed in YHWH's prophecy when he was without the child of promise. This was accounted to him for righteousness.

Most Christians don't know that they are from the mixed seed of Abraham because the northern kingdom of Israel was dispersed after their Assyrian captivity - save alone some settled in Samaria.
The lost tribes being scattered around the world have a lot of different stories.
As I've not had a DNA test which has confirmed that I have Hebrew DNA, I'm a gentile.

Heb 11:11 By belief also, Sarah herself was enabled to conceive seed, and she bore a child when she was past the normal age, because she deemed Him trustworthy who had promised.

12 And so from one, and him as good as dead, were born as numerous as the stars of the heaven, as countless as the sand which is by the seashore. Gen. 15:5; 22:17.

Yep...
And?

According to Galatians,

Gal 3:29 WEB If you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring and heirs according to promise.

Anthony

All non-Jewish people.

Yep.

The lost tribes being scattered around the world have a lot of different stories.
As I've not had a DNA test which has confirmed that I have Hebrew DNA, I'm a gentile.

Yep...
And?

According to Galatians,

Gal 3:29 WEB If you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring and heirs according to promise.
Your understanding is totally flawed.

The epistle to Galatians was written to the Jews and not to those that who claim that they are just spiritual seed of Abraham.

Go to OT, and see the promise made to Abraham before you answer without any understanding.

SteveB

Your understanding is totally flawed.

The epistle to Galatians was written to the Jews and not to those that who claim that they are just spiritual seed of Abraham.

Go to OT, and see the promise made to Abraham before you answer without any understanding.
Galatians, like the other letters were written to the churches of their respective cities/regions.
Both Jews and gentiles.

Considering that I've been reading the entire bible for decades, what part of the ot did you believe I should be reading?
Genesis 12:3 YHVH said that his seed would be a blessing to all the families of the earth.
Goyim are included.
Isaiah tells us that the Messiah will be a light to the nations.

Something that I think needs to be said here....

YHVH is not done with Israel. Romans 9-11 makes this crystal clear.
11:29 explicitly states
The gifts and callings of God are without repentance.

And from what I read in the bible, YHVH has got some serious plans for Israel and will do exactly what he says throughout the entire bible on their behalf.
We who follow Jesus are exceedingly excited to see it happen.

Last edited:

Open Heart

For those who don't really know what that means, perhaps someone who is a Messianic Jew or knows a lot about them could post up some unique identifiers of the belief system.
I dont think there is a single messianic jew in this forum.

MJ's can't agree on anything other than that the torah continues to be of importance.

The two largest denominations are Messianic Jewish Alliance of America (MJAA) and the United Messianic Jewish Congregations (UMJC). UMJC uses the Messianic Jewish Rabbinical Councils standards of observance. You can read what is on their site here: http://ourrabbis.org/main/

Furion

It's just a marketing term used to evangelize to traditional Jews.

Messianic Jews are just Jewish apostates. They keep Rabbinical laws like wearing kippah's, lighting Shabbat candles, and biblical commandments like tallit, tzitzit, etc., just to appear Jewish in order to evangelize.
Actually they are completed Jews, who love the Lord Jesus Christ, a Jew.

Furion

Which doesn't mean they are completed.
I have no reason to believe you on it.
Understood. And we call them apostates, like Paul.

No, you accuse that.

I call them Jews who confess Christ.

It's all on you to take Christ from their hand. But I'm pretty sure many of them would say they are assured of their own love for Christ, like you would I suppose.

Jewjitzu

I have no reason to believe you on it.
And I have no reason to believe you or them on it. There is no verse in Tanakh speaking of a completed Jew. It's made up hype and used in evangelizing pitches.

No, you accuse that.
Not accuse, it's fact. Teaching abrogation of the law and a different god is apostasy.

I call them Jews who confess Christ.
We call them apostates.

It's all on you to take Christ from their hand.
The issue is God, not Messiah, and the differences between the two. Teaching a god our fathers knew not.

But I'm pretty sure many of them would say they are assured of their own love for Christ, like you would I suppose.
I'm sure they feel love, but I would say it's wrongly applied.

Furion

And I have no reason to believe you or them on it. There is no verse in Tanakh speaking of a completed Jew. It's made up hype and used in evangelizing pitches.

Not accuse, it's fact. Teaching abrogation of the law and a different god is apostasy.

We call them apostates.

The issue is God, not Messiah, and the differences between the two. Teaching a god our fathers knew not.

I'm sure they feel love, but I would say it's wrongly applied.
The issue is messiah and your hate against messiah.

No matter, you don't matter.

Yahchristian

This is what the LORD says: If I have not established My covenant with the day and the night and the fixed order of heaven and earth, 26then I would also reject the descendants of Jacob and of My servant David, so as not to take from his descendants rulers over the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. For I will restore them from captivityg and will have compassion on them.”

Who does “the descendants of Jacob” refer to?

A) biological descendants of Jacob
B) maternal descendants of women who converted to Judaism

I say A.