What is righteousness?

In Christianity, righteousness is being perfect, flawless in keeping God's laws. Unrighteousness is anything short of that. This is taught in more than one place by Paul in the New Testament.

Paul was wrong. He had his own ideas about things. Paul taught that it's impossible for a person to be righteous by keeping the Law and therefore all people are unrighteous by default.

But Paul contradicts the Gospel. Luke's book in the New Testament says there were ordinary people who were righteous and observed the Law "blamelessly".

[Zechariah and Elizabeth] were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly (Luke 1:5-6)

Jesus himself recognized the existence of righteous people.

“I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners” (Mark 2:17)

Then there are all those other verses in the Old Testament (that Christians regard as scripture) where we read that righteous and blameless men did exist.

Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation; Noah walked with God. (Genesis 6:9)

In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil. (Job 1:1)

“Tell the righteous it will be well with them, for they will enjoy the fruit of their deeds” (Isaiah 3:10)

“The righteous lead blameless lives; blessed are their children after them” (Proverbs 20:7)

I have no idea how Christians rationalize the above, but they do it anyway.

So the Christian idea that it's impossible for a person to be righteous contradicts the Bible outside of Paul's letters. That idea originates in Paul's letters, and not the Gospels or the Old Testament.

Jesus said no one was good but God.

You can't just ignore that.

Jesus knew there was a righteousness that came as a gift from God, just like Paul.

When you are Born Again you will understand what I said from Gods Word.
Well, you're neither born again nor Jewish. And Paul doesn't call out Sephardic, Ashkenazi, Yemenite, Ethiopian Jews, etc., so unless you can prove you're Sephardic, then don't advertise it.

You are quoting a psalm, meaning that this is not literal. It is hyperbole. It gives expression to feelings.
Further you are trying to cherry pick one verse, when the whole of the Tanakh speaks about the righteous. I'll go with the whole of the Tanakh.
yr basing the OP, and the "whole Tanakh"'s teaching concerning Righteousness
on a Proverb (?)

what is meant by a "just" person?

Don't you base yours on one verse, the just shall live by faith?
maybe :)
should depend on what the Tanakh as a whole seems to teach

did it teach that Israel the Nation was righteous? or just? or had faith?

God certainly gave the standard for righteousness, the law.
neither Noah nor Abel had that Law tho

from Eden to the Flood, what was the law?
where there any just people about then?
Mosaic law doesn't seem that necessary...

yr basing the OP, and the "whole Tanakh"'s teaching concerning Righteousness
on a Proverb (?)

what is meant by a "just" person?
I'm saying that over and over and over again, the Tanakh contrasts the righteous with the wicked, so obviously the righteous exist, or such verses would not make sense.

I'm saying that over and over and over again, the Tanakh contrasts the righteous with the wicked, so obviously the righteous exist, or such verses would not make sense.
so None are righteous
and yet some of the none somehow are

everyone falls short of the standard that is God, and thus are Unrighteous
and yet graciously thru Faith, God can choose to view them as righteous in His sight
like Abram was

so None are righteous
and yet some of the none somehow are

everyone falls short of the standard that is God, and thus are Unrighteous
and yet graciously thru Faith, God can choose to view them as righteous in His sight
like Abram was
Not acording to the Tanakh. The tanakh, like I have repeatedly said, often talks about the righteous.

Ok.

And the NT reveals to us the Law's purpose is to condemn all people as sinful so that we don't earn and merit our way to God.
And the NT is wrong. Tanakh doesn't support this at all. What's rather ridiculous is your thinking that a Holy God gave us a law that He knows we can't keep only to turn around and condemn us for it.

Thanks for the laugh. ;)

maybe :)
should depend on what the Tanakh as a whole seems to teach

did it teach that Israel the Nation was righteous? or just? or had faith?
Every commandment kept is it's own righteousness. I've shown this to you before. Read Ezekiel 18 again.

neither Noah nor Abel had that Law tho
They had their own.

from Eden to the Flood, what was the law?
Whatever God commanded.

where there any just people about then?
Yes, based on their obedience.

Mosaic law doesn't seem that necessary...
If you don't want life, sure.

so then how come yr still not as righteous as God is?
you have and know all the commands and stuff...

Failure at obedience really isn't that special :confused:

Last edited:
Well, you're neither born again nor Jewish. And Paul doesn't call out Sephardic, Ashkenazi, Yemenite, Ethiopian Jews, etc., so unless you can prove you're Sephardic, then don't advertise it.
Its hilarious that you think you are Born Again when you dont even understand what Yeshua said.. But I can understand it for even your teachers like Nicodemos didn,t understand it. Being Jewish has no bearing on this subject.

Its hilarious that you think you are Born Again when you dont even understand what Yeshua said..
Born from water and the spirit - both references to Torah. You wouldn't know about it.

But I can understand it for even your teachers like Nicodemos didn't understand it.
Well, it's not the NT is a credible source of info. Kind of like you're personally not a credible source for what or who is Jewish. ;)

Being Jewish has no bearing on this subject.
Rotfl... so why did you throw out you were Sephardic? Sounds like you weren't honest about it.

Last edited:
so then how come yr still not as righteous as God is?
Because no one is God but God. He is the author of the righteous laws.

Ironically, Jesus depended on his parents righteousness for laws when he was a child. So, he isn't as righteous as God either. ;)

you have and know all the commands and stuff...
It's a lifetime of walking with God.

Failure at obedience really isn't that special :confused:
See above. Are you as understanding with the NTs acknowledgement that Jesus grew in favor, grace, with God, Luke 2:52?

the righteous in the way Abraham was righteous
and the children of Abraham, thru Faith
Faith with actions is the example. You should know that from James. ;)

18But someone will say, “You have faith and I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19You believe that God is one. Good for you! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20O foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is worthless?h 21Was not our father Abraham justified by what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith was working with his actions, and his faith was perfected by what he did. 23And the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called a friend of God. 24As you can see, a man is justified by his deeds and not by faith alone.

25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute justified by her actions when she welcomed the spies and sent them off on another route? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Back