What is the best mouse for a programmer if my priorities are ergonomics, precision, connectivity, and scrolling?

LifeIn

Since they are all optical nowadays they are all quite good. The only ergonomic difference I've noticed is the force needed to click. Some are too stiff and some are so light that I click by accident. You just have to test them for yourself. I imagine personal preference will be the biggest factor.

SteveB

What is the best mouse for a programmer if my priorities are ergonomics, precision, connectivity, and scrolling?
I'm a trackball user.
While others make them, so far, my preferred maker of the trackball is-- Kensington.
Not because Kensington is anything special. But just because it serves my purposes.
I prefer having the trackball top dead center. No other maker does this. Logitech USED to have a nice trackball which was TDC, but I haven't seen it for a long time, and they got greedy in their prices....

So, it depends on what you're willing to spend.

What makes the trackball best for me is that I do not need to move the mouse itself. It remains in place, and I manipulate my fingers to operate the cursor's location. Regular mice I have to move around the desk, and this results in a shoulder injury, as well as an elbow, and wrist injuries.

My present mouse is---

I like the scroll ring--- again, just a matter of finger manipulations.

The other mice they have are better, but also more costly..... I.e., how much do you want to spend?

All of these can be obtained from your least expensive 3rd party supplier. I use Amazon.