What is the Church for?

Mike McK

So, if you divorced and remarried and lived basically in a state of adultery, then your salvation is not in peril?
Remember, we're not Catholics. The idea that God is unfaithful to keep His promises and will take our salvation away is a Catholic belief, not a Christian belief, and certainly not a Biblical belief.

One cannot earn their salvation by marriage, by not divorcing, by not getting remarried.

If one is born again, then why would they want to live in unrepentant sin? And how is somebody being satisfied to live in unrepentant sin in any way consistent with the Bible's teaching that a born again believer will turn from his sin?
But Jesus makes it quite clear - and this is substantiated by Paul - what our view of divorce and remarriage should be.
Neither Jesus nor Paul ever said one's salvation is predicated on their marital status.
However, it's your understanding of the Bible that you're going with; other Christians have different ideas of what is essential and what is not.
Don't care. The Bible says what it says. You either believe it or you don't. If they don't believe it, that's their problem.
How can the Bible be a final authority when Christians have different understandings of what are essential doctrines?
Do you know what a non-sequitur is? You should. You just committed it.

That people do not submit to an authority doesn't mean it's not an authority. It just means they refuse to submit to the authority.
You've given the very minimal doctrines you think are essential
Don't blame me. It was your list.

but other Christians think otherwise. Does that make you right and them wrong, or you wrong and them right, or both of you wrong?
It doesn't matter what they think. The Bible says what it says. Either they believe it or they don't.
Sure. If the faith is the faith of "me".
You're talking about the "faith of me". I'm talking about the faith of Christianity.

But, since you brought it up, there is no way for us to be unified with those outside Christianity and I have no desire to unite with them.
Why are they wrong when they might think that you are wrong for precisely the same reason?
It doesn't matter what they think. The Bible says what it says. Either they believe it or they don't.
Charming. Nice to know we can discuss a topic and consign one another to hell.
I can only tell you what the Bible says.
Thanks, Mike, but I think I've had enough of this conversation. I enjoy discussing theological matters
There was no discussion of theological matters here. You just repeated the same question over and over and then ignored my answer. I don't know if you have some sort of learning disability or if you're just trolling but having to repeat myself to someone who won't listen is getting tiresome. I think it's time for me to invoke Proverbs 26:4 here.
but I don't enjoy making or receiving judgements about who is going to hell and who is. Neither one of us is God.
I agree. We're not God. But we do have His Word. It's just a matter or whether or not you're going to accept it.

mica

I don't have a source. I'm asking which of these things Mark thinks are essential.
so you just made them up? picked at random? do you have scripture to back them up as essential? are they things the RCC teaches are essential for salvation?
did Jesus condemn the woman He said had 5 husbands?

does baptism on the list = water baptism?

Mike McK

so you just made them up? picked at random? do you have scripture to back them up as essential? are they things the RCC teaches are essential for salvation?
He's Catholic. In Catholicism, a couple of things on that list are considered "sacraments" necessary for salvation. He seems to be a little confused about the differences between Catholicism and Christianity.
Ironically, the only people Jesus condemned were people who added works of the law as requirements for salvation...you know, just as Hili has done here.

jonathan_hili

does baptism on the list = water baptism?
I just picked them at random, correct.

My conversation with Mike has now stopped.

jonathan_hili

you gladly accept those judgements from the RCC and it isn't God.
The Catholic Church has not said that anyone is in hell.

Also, the Church was established by Christ - individual believers aren't God's mouthpiece (ordinarily).

I'm not going to discuss the matter anymore, Mica. I found the exchange with Mike distasteful and in poor spirit. I would hope that these forums are areas where we can have honest conversations with each other and go over our differences, not start pointing fingers about who is going to hell. I'd also hope that you'd back me up on this point.