What is the definition of hate speech? If a person does that (what the definition says), do they have a right to do that(what the definition says)....

What is the definition of hate speech? If a person does that (what the definition says), do they have a right to do that(what the definition says) according to the U.S. constitution? I am not referring to doing it in a private business or on a private business' website.

Electric Skeptic

Merriam-Webster says "speech expressing hatred of a particular group of people".

The Legal Dictionary says "Speech that is intended to offend, insult, intimidate, or threaten an individual or group based on a trait or attribute, such as sexual orientation, religion, color, gender, or disability."

Cambridge says "public speech that expresses hate or encourages violence towards a person or group based on something such as race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation (= the fact of being gay, etc.)"

Brittanica says "speech or expression that denigrates a person or persons on the basis of (alleged) membership in a social group identified by attributes such as race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, physical or mental disability, and others."

The issue of whether such speech is protected by the Constitution is a difficult one. It's been found by SCOTUS that various forms of speech are not protected (the classic example is yelling 'Fire!' in a crowded theatre - we do not have the Constitutional right to do so), so protected 'free speech' does not automatically include any/every kind of speech.

However, SCOTUS has also found that 'hate speech' does not automatically get the same exemption - that is, that the right to 'hate speech' is protected, and we have the Constitutional right to it.

Wikipedia has a pretty good page specifically on hate speech in the US and how it has been viewed.

For myself, I am a huge free speech advocate. I think hate speech should not be restricted. I think the only types of speech (and I include in that other methods of expression, such as in writing, on t-shirts, placards, etc.) which should be restricted are those for which it can be demonstrated that harm to people (other than the speaker) is virtually inevitable (such as yelling 'Fire!' in a crowded theatre).

Another complex area is the idea of private retribution. If a person publishes a statement (online, in a newspaper, wherever) that qualifies as hate speech, denigrating a particular group (doesn't matter which one), that statement is protected by the Constitution, and they will suffer no legal repurcussions for it. However, people can and do act against that person by (for example) firing them, boycotting their business, etc. Should we be doing that? Should we be encouraging others to do that? Should we be alerting others to that person's opinion, so they can take whatever action they deem appropriate?

I think these questions are difficult ones. If I found out that a particular business was owned by people who have opinions in accord with hate speech, I would go out of my way to not patronise that business. In fact, I do so in regard to a couple of businesses. I don't want my money to go to such people.

But is it right for me to organise a boycott of those businesses, with the aim of preventing others' money going to them? Is it right for me to tell others (here I'm meaning friends, people I personally know) of the opinions of those owners, so that they are aware and can not patronise them, if they choose?

Is there really a difference between me telling a friend that <insert business> is owned by people who think <insert viewpoint I find objectionable>, so that that friend can take their business elsewhere, if they choose, and me taking out an add in the newspaper telling every reader the same thing? I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Whateverman

What is the definition of hate speech?
There are many. I'll take the ones posted by @Electric Skeptic as typical.

If a person does that (what the definition says), do they have a right to do that(what the definition says) according to the U.S. constitution?
According to the US constitution, it depends specifically on what was said. If the hate speech was used to threaten or terrify, no, they do not.

Temujin

The situation is different in the UK, where Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986 (POA), makes it an offence for a person to use “threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour that causes, or is likely to cause, another person harassment, alarm or distress”. This law has been revised over the years to include language that is deemed to incite “racial and religious hatred”, as well as “hatred on the grounds of sexual orientation” and language that “encourages terrorism”.These revisions are aggravating factors. Put simply, telling someone to "F*** off" in a public place is an offence. "F*** of, you homosexual/ female / person of colour." is a more serious offence.

It is not necessary for the person the speech is aimed at to complain, or even to be aware of the offence. Any witness can complain. It also doesn't matter what the claimed intention of the offender was. "Joking" is not a defence. If it is deemed likely that the words would cause offence, that is enough.

The definition of free speech is different over here. If you visit, be careful.

Temujin

Or... just don't be a **** to other people.
Well yes. Apparently Americans are allowed to be ****, think that they have a right to be ****, and if they are prevented from being ****, they will become ****.

Only Americans think this way. I'm not sure why.

Whateverman

Well yes. Apparently Americans are allowed to be ****, think that they have a right to be ****, and if they are prevented from being ****, they will become ****.

Only Americans think this way. I'm not sure why.
Some Americans. Others are pretty embarrassed whenever they have to travel to a country where they can't speak the native tongue.

Mr Laurier

What is the definition of hate speech? If a person does that (what the definition says), do they have a right to do that(what the definition says) according to the U.S. constitution? I am not referring to doing it in a private business or on a private business' website.
Hate speech.
The speaking or publication of slurs and-or libels/slanders against a population with intent to deny them their humanity, and-or to justify/rationalize violence against them.

Furion

It seems ok for atheists to speak all kinds of hate towards the Lord and His people, so whatever rationalization your get from them will never include their own behavior.

Mr Laurier

It seems ok for atheists to speak all kinds of hate towards the Lord and His people, so whatever rationalization your get from them will never include their own behavior.
Only in your fantasy.
Meanwhile, which lOrd am I supposed to speak hate towards? And why?
And what is "His people"?
Maybe you could actually answer. That would be nice.

Authentic Nouveau

The situation is different in the UK, where Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986 (POA), makes it an offence for a person to use “threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour that causes, or is likely to cause, another person harassment, alarm or distress”. This law has been revised over the years to include language that is deemed to incite “racial and religious hatred”, as well as “hatred on the grounds of sexual orientation” and language that “encourages terrorism”.These revisions are aggravating factors. Put simply, telling someone to "F*** off" in a public place is an offence. "F*** of, you homosexual/ female / person of colour." is a more serious offence.

It is not necessary for the person the speech is aimed at to complain, or even to be aware of the offence. Any witness can complain. It also doesn't matter what the claimed intention of the offender was. "Joking" is not a defence. If it is deemed likely that the words would cause offence, that is enough.

The definition of free speech is different over here. If you visit, be careful.
So that is why you bring hate speech over here.

CARM is in neither the EU, nor the UK. The rules of CARM and the laws of the USA apply here.

Back to the topic, folks

Last edited by a moderator:

Authentic Nouveau

Hate speech.
The speaking or publication of slurs and-or libels/slanders against a population with intent to deny them their humanity, and-or to justify/rationalize violence against them.
Like your MacDaddy Darwin and his racial slurs and call for extermination of Indians to open up more land for grazing.

Mr Laurier

Like your MacDaddy Darwin and his racial slurs and call for extermination of Indians to open up more land for grazing.
lol. Yeah , And my O'Mommy Grey Owl and his violent attacks on native culture.
All the imaginaty boogiemen you give to me, are still just fignemts of your fevered imagination.
Alas, my continuing lack of a "MacDaddy Darwin" remains a problem for you.

Mr Laurier

Sorry but I don't answer dingleberries that can't even figure out who God's people are.

Troll harder
No? Then try answering human beings who also don't know what "God's people" are or is or whatever.
And then answer the first set of questions.
What loRd am I supposed to speak hate towards?
What is "His people"?

No. Why should I troll harder? or even at all?

Bob Carabbio

What day of the week is it??? Some folks think preaching the Word of God is HATE SPEECH. Nobody seems to KNOW what the "Constitution" means when it says whatever it says.

Mr Laurier

What day of the week is it??? Some folks think preaching the Word of God is HATE SPEECH. Nobody seems to KNOW what the "Constitution" means when it says whatever it says.
Friday. And yet the definition of hate speech remains unchanged from thursday.
Some folks think there is such a thing as "the Word of God".