what is the definition of science?

Andy Sist

What I find sad is that they have no problem living in lies, fraud and deception.
Just like you have no problem living in your own lies, fraud and deception. First cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Nouveau

So still not supporting examples whatsoever for Steve's OP claim about atheists treating science as a religion?

SteveB

So still not supporting examples whatsoever for Steve's OP claim about atheists treating science as a religion?
Perhaps the problem here is that you don't actually know how to read. OR, more accurately--- you reading comprehension stinks.

Andy Sist

Perhaps the problem here is that you don't actually know how to read. OR, more accurately--- you reading comprehension stinks.
No, the real problem is you made a frankly ridiculous claim in the OP which you've completely failed to substantiate. Instead you're spent dozens of posts trying to wriggle out of your disingenuous false assertion.

Nouveau

You're just linking me to the OP. There are no examples there showing atheists treating science like a religion, so your claim remains unsupported.

The Pixie

Actually, I simply stated my observations.
Odd, then, that you cannot say where you observed it.

Kind of like it is just a delusional fantasy.

[quuote]This is the problem I think most atheists have.....
It's acceptable for them to state their observations, regardless of how wrong they are, but it's not acceptable for others to do the same.
Why is that?[/quote]
The problem atheists have is with "observations" that were never really observed. we call them lies.

SteveB

You're just linking me to the OP. There are no examples there showing atheists treating science like a religion, so your claim remains unsupported.
Every time an atheist uses the term--- science--- as if it's the final authority on whatever the topic happens to be--- they've turned science into a religious-type ideology.
They remove it from the realm of

Science is the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology based on evidence.

and make it something else entirely.

As I've observed you do this in the past, I'm not really bothered by my observations. If you need to play whack-a-mole, to silence me, be my guest. I'm still here, and the truth is still the truth.

SteveB

Odd, then, that you cannot say where you observed it.

Kind of like it is just a delusional fantasy.

This is the problem I think most atheists have.....
It's acceptable for them to state their observations, regardless of how wrong they are, but it's not acceptable for others to do the same.
Why is that?
The problem atheists have is with "observations" that were never really observed. we call them lies.

Every time an atheist uses the term--- science--- as if it's the final authority on whatever the topic happens to be--- they've turned science into a religious-type ideology.

Science is the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology based on evidence.

As I've observed you do this in the past, I'm not really bothered by my observations. If you need to play whack-a-mole, to silence me, be my guest. I'm still here, and the truth is still the truth.

Nouveau

So still no examples, and just another completely unsupported allegation. How sad.

SteveB

So still no examples, and just another completely unsupported allegation. How sad.
It's a pity you didn't use this level of requiring evidence of yourself when you claimed to have read the bible, and done what Jesus said.

Nouveau

It's a pity you didn't use this level of requiring evidence of yourself when you claimed to have read the bible, and done what Jesus said.
Unsupported and irrelevant nonsense. You've yet to identify anything Jesus said to do that can be done without prior belief and which I haven't already done. As usual, you are just deflecting from your inability to support your own OP claim with examples.

The Pixie

Every time an atheist uses the term--- science--- as if it's the final authority on whatever the topic happens to be--- they've turned science into a religious-type ideology. ...
But you cannot find an actual example of that, can you?

It is just your unsupported opinion, presented as fact.

SteveB

Unsupported and irrelevant nonsense. You've yet to identify anything Jesus said to do that can be done without prior belief and which I haven't already done. As usual, you are just deflecting from your inability to support your own OP claim with examples.
It's only irrelevant, and unsupported nonsense to people who refused to have done what Jesus said.

He did after all state in very simple terms---

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

Yet, while you live, there is hope for you.

But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

A rather curious thing you posit here..... I see Jesus saying that one's deeds are what will be judged. So...... as James says----

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.​
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.​
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?​
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.​

So..... try that again. Explain to me how it is that you think your idea of faith is supposed to work.

Nouveau

It's only irrelevant, and unsupported nonsense to people who refused to have done what Jesus said.

He did after all state in very simple terms---

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

Yet, while you live, there is hope for you.

But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

A rather curious thing you posit here..... I see Jesus saying that one's deeds are what will be judged. So...... as James says----

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.​
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.​
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?​
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.​

So..... try that again. Explain to me how it is that you think your idea of faith is supposed to work.
You're preaching again, and still trying to deflect from the point that you have no examples to support your OP claim about atheists treating science like a religion. And you still haven't specified anything that Jesus said to do, that can be done without first believing, and which I have not already done. So you've failed on both counts.

SteveB

You're preaching again, and still trying to deflect from the point that you have no examples to support your OP claim about atheists treating science like a religion. And you still haven't specified anything that Jesus said to do, that can be done without first believing, and which I have not already done. So you've failed on both counts.
I'm speaking the truth.
If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to respond.

Nouveau

I'm speaking the truth.
If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to respond.
And yet I will respond, to point out that your preaching conveys no truth, and that you are still deflecting from your failure to support your OP claim.

SteveB

And yet I will respond, to point out that your preaching conveys no truth, and that you are still deflecting from your failure to support your OP claim.
Not the truth you need to be truth, so you can ignore the real Truth, who is Jesus.
Which tells me that it's not Truth you want. It's an argument, so you can delude yourself into thinking you alone know truth, and nobody who doesn't agree with what you define as truth, knows.

As my wife likes to say--- I'd say your problem is--- stinkin' thinkin'!

Nouveau

Not the truth you need to be truth, so you can ignore the real Truth, who is Jesus.
Which tells me that it's not Truth you want. It's an argument, so you can delude yourself into thinking you alone know truth, and nobody who doesn't agree with what you define as truth, knows.

As my wife likes to say--- I'd say your problem is--- stinkin' thinkin'!
You're not thinking. You're strawmanning again. And you're still not supporting your OP claim with any examples.

SteveB

You're not thinking. You're strawmanning again. And you're still not supporting your OP claim with any examples.
So far I've yet to see anything where your claim of thought actually demonstrates thinking.

I provided the definition of science, and the scientific method.
All you've done is whine. What's sad is that you actually think it's a good whine.