What is the name of the son per Matt 28:19?

• Baptism is both, but let me explain. Baptism is a word because I literally just wrote the word baptism. Baptism is a deed because someone can go get baptized. Likewise, Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit and fire.
  • Yes, we say words and do deeds in the name of Jesus without mentioning Jesus' name at all. To say words or work deeds in the name of Jesus means to talk and act in such a way as to bring honor to Jesus. Christians are in Christ. We are to walk in him; in light of who he is and what he did for us. That's how all our words and deed are in the name of Jesus. Can you bring honor to Jesus by saying "in the name of the Lord Jesus"? Obviously. Can you bring honor to his name without saying "in the name of Jesus"? Yep. You don't have to say "in the name of Jesus" before giving your offering. You can just give your offering. Likewise, I see no difference when someone is baptized if the baptizer said "in the name of Jesus" or "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." Both communicate the same idea. You also think both communicate the same idea. So, why do you think saying "in the name of Jesus" is effectual while saying "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." is not? Do you really think words have power? Or do you think God is the one with the power? If God is the one with the power, do you think he is so petty as to reject a baptism because the baptizer messed up the words?
  • FYI, saying "in the name of Jesus" when doing something doesn't make the act in the name of Jesus. In dark ages, women were burned at the stake while the executioner was saying "in the name of Jesus". Did saying the words somehow purify these actions? On the other extreme, if you pulled over on the side of the road to help a little old lady change a tire but you said God Bless as opposed to saying "in the name of Jesus" because you were exhausted from work, is that deed no longer in the name of Jesus?
God Bless

Last edited by a moderator:

It is interesting that you would quote this verse when one is asking the Father in the name of the Son given that you believe they are the same person. Why wouldn't Jesus just tell them to ask him in the name of Jesus? Whatever, we obviously ask the Father by invoking our status of being in Christ, usually by using the name of Jesus. In fact, it is quite common to end every prayer with "in Jesus' name, Amen." One might even say "I ask in the name of Jesus ..." But, we never think the wording we choose has any bearing on God. God looks at the heart. God answers non-verbal prayers when we don't have the words to express what we need. God being a good parent knows how to give good gifts. We never think he is limited or that he is so petty as to require us to use the correct wording in order for our prayers to be answered.

Edit insults

Given that nothing I said implies such, this is a very odd question. Do you think these cheeky responses are useful?

God Bless

So, whose are you baptizing in? Are you baptizing in the name of Jesus(the Father) or Jesus (the man)?

You're misunderstanding why we say the name. We say the name to remind us who saved us and by who's authority we approach the thrown of God. We do not say the name to make sure our prayer's are answered. The first is spoken out of devotion; the later is spoken out of superstition.

And? A broken clock is right twice a day. You might want to drop these ad hominems; they only weaken your testimony.

For some reason, Truther thinks making up stories is a meaningful argument. Nothing in Acts 2:38 says saying certain words are necessary for Salvation. You are the one contradicting Paul via your understanding of Acts.

God Bless

Who are you baptizing in? Are you baptizing in the name of Jesus(the Father) or Jesus (the man) or Jesus(Holy Spirit)?

Why is it more rational to think the Father's name is Jesus as opposed to thinking the Son has two names: Jesus and
YHWH?

God Bless

Why aren't you answering my question? Who are you baptizing in? Are you baptizing in the name of Jesus(the Father) or Jesus (the man) or Jesus(Holy Spirit)? If it's only the word that counts, then you are not baptized into any of them. You are baptized into but a word. This is why I call you a pagan. You care more about the words spoken than who you are speaking with and worshiping.

Why is it more rational to think the Father's name is Jesus as opposed to thinking the Son has two names: Jesus and
YHWH?

God Bless

Thanks for the clarification.

Irrelevant, If you are baptizing in someone's name, then you should know who you are baptizing into the name of,

Because, the Son, Jesus, died for our sins. The only place to find salvation in Christ. How is this relevant at all to proving Jesus didn't have another name: YHWH?

For some reason, Truther thinks making up stories is a meaningful argument. Nothing in Acts 2:38 says saying certain words are necessary for Salvation. You are the one contradicting Paul via your understanding of Acts.

FYI, Jesus inherited the name YHWH, the personal name of God used 6500 times in the OT. But you say we should just call God Joshua; I mean Yahshua, or was it Ἰησοῦ?

You still didn't answer my second question. Why is it more rational to think the Father's name is Jesus as opposed to thinking the Son has two names: Jesus and YHWH? Instead of answering my question, I guess you just had to go for the cheap shot that is clearly meaningless, not to mention sinful.

God Bless

Thanks for clarifying.

For some reason, Truther thinks making up stories is a meaningful argument.

edit insults

The use of ad hominem only destroys your own testimony.

If you were a little bit inquisitive, you would wonder why Jesus categorically denied that Baptism was necessary for salvation. If you were a little bit inquisitive, you would wonder why nothing in Acts 2:38 says saying certain words are necessary for Salvation.

FYI, Jesus inherited the name
YHWH, the personal name of God used 6500 times in the OT. But you say we should just call God Joshua; I mean Yahshua, or was it Ἰησοῦ?

You still didn't answer my second question. Why is it more rational to think the Father's name is Jesus as opposed to thinking the Son has two names: Jesus and
YHWH?

God Bless

Silly goose, YHWH isn't under heaven. YHWH is the name that is above all other names. The Holy and Proper name of God given to Moses at the burning bush. Jesus, in Hebrew Yahshua/Joshua, in Greek Ἰησοῦ, is the name under heaven given to the Son, YHWH, who saves people. Thus Jesus is the name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. But given that you are so, so focused on saying the right word, perhaps you should use Yahshua, the name Peter actually used on Pentecost, or maybe Ἰησοῦ the name recorded in inspired Scripture.

You still didn't answer my second question. Why is it more rational to think the Father's name is Jesus as opposed to thinking the Son has two names: Jesus and YHWH?

God Bless

Please tell me what the name of the son is that Jesus was referring to in this verse....

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Thanks.
Let's start over.

Does anyone know what the name of the son is that Jesus was addressing in Matt 28:19 besides Peter per Acts 2:38?

I was giving everyone else an opportunity to tell me what the name of the son is. I already saw two pages ago that you do not know what the name of the son is. You and Peter have different ideas on what the name of the son is.
To each his own.

So, why is it more rational to think the Father's name is Jesus as opposed to thinking the Son has two names: Jesus and YHWH?

God Bless

So, why is it more rational to think the Father's name is Jesus as opposed to thinking the Son has two names: Jesus and YHWH?

God Bless
The scriptural consensus is "Jesus".

Those that baptize in the name of "YHWH" can take the chance if they so desire.

I am not a gambler, but like a sure thing.

Acts 2:38 is my sure thing.

But, whatever makes you happy I am all for.

The scriptural consensus is "Jesus".
Those that baptize in the name of "YHWH" can take the chance if they so desire.
I am not a gambler, but like a sure thing.
Acts 2:38 is my sure thing.
But, whatever makes you happy I am all for.

This is not an argument.
"The scriptural consensus is "Jesus"." Are you joking? 6500 times God's divine name YHWH is used in the OT. Never, ever in all of Scripture is God called Jesus. And; Jesus being the Father's name is consensus? Hogwash. FYI, Jesus is a human's name, YHWH is the divine name.
"a gambler"? Are you kidding? Did I even ask about Baptism? I asked "Why is it more rational to think the Father's name is Jesus as opposed to thinking the Son has two names: Jesus and YHWH?" We are looking at Scripture and asking what's more reasonable. Your attempt to base this back in Acts 2:38 is quite troubling. It's almost like you can't think for yourself.

God Bless

This is not an argument.
"The scriptural consensus is "Jesus"." Are you joking? 6500 times God's divine name YHWH is used in the OT. Never, ever in all of Scripture is God called Jesus. And; Jesus being the Father's name is consensus? Hogwash. FYI, Jesus is a human's name, YHWH is the divine name.
"a gambler"? Are you kidding? Did I even ask about Baptism? I asked "Why is it more rational to think the Father's name is Jesus as opposed to thinking the Son has two names: Jesus and YHWH?" We are looking at Scripture and asking what's more reasonable. Your attempt to base this back in Acts 2:38 is quite troubling. It's almost like you can't think for yourself.

God Bless
Don’t worry about it. If you think YHWH is the name of Jesus in the New Testament I’m all for it. I just never seen a Baptist say such things. All of the Baptist’s that I know say the name of the son is Jesus but there is a first for everything.
I think I will stick to saying Jesus when I speak the name of the son. I’m not into the new fangled ideas.
The Hebrew roots movement will take you right into their folds.

Back