What is the salvific effect of the Cross?

Great answer! A Mormon likes to bring this up on the Mormon board, so I will link to it, when he starts bringing it up again.
I do not understand why RCs completely twist the rich young ruler passage, there is no way Jesus was supporting works based salvation. If one could do works based salvation by keeping the commandments, then, Jesus death on the cross was unnecessary.

Misrepresent what? Many of the nCCs are the ones who are saying that we are saved by faith alone and not by works. I haven't inserted anything.

Nondenom40 was accusing Catholics of adding to what Jesus said. I just pointed out that the nCCs are guilty of the same thing. Jesus never said that we are saved by faith alone.
None of us added "alone". You did that. But--we say we are ONLY saved by grace through faith and not by works--that is what "alone" means in this context. Did you not realize that?

Paul says we are saved by grace through faith and not by works--either works of the law or works done in righteousness--so, what else is there left to be saved by? Can you tell us? WILL you tell us?

Jesus tells the Jews that they should labor for the food which endures into eternal life (John6: 27). When they asked what they must do (v28), to be doing the works of God, Jesus says that believing in Him is the work of God that they must do (v29)
It is very explicit that Jesus says the act of believing is work. The context clearly shows that it is a work that God does through man and with man’s cooperation. The work of God being spoken here is believing in Jesus Christ, hence a work done by man by the grace of God.

your turn...
Nonsense. God's work is to believe in His Son. HIS work. HE enables us to believe in Him via the HS working saving faith via the Gospel--that IS God's work done IN us! By God!

None of us added "alone". You did that. But--we say we are ONLY saved by grace through faith and not by works--that is what "alone" means in this context. Did you not realize that?

Paul says we are saved by grace through faith and not by works--either works of the law or works done in righteousness--so, what else is there left to be saved by? Can you tell us? WILL you tell us?
I mean it is never alone, we are with Jesus and that means not alone, He does the work.

I do not understand why RCs completely twist the rich young ruler passage, there is no way Jesus was supporting works based salvation. If one could do works based salvation by keeping the commandments, then, Jesus death on the cross was unnecessary.
I don't understand it either balshan. But if you ask a Roman Catholic HOW they keep the commandments of God, the majority of them will be baffled, stammer-around a bit, and then recite what their Roman Catholic Catechism - the RC training book for all Roman Catholics instructs them to say. They will methodically say that they keep the commandments of God by 'living a good moral life'.

I don't understand it either balshan. But if you ask a Roman Catholic HOW they keep the commandments of God, the majority of them will be baffled, stammer-around a bit, and then recite what their Roman Catholic Catechism - the RC training book for all Roman Catholics instructs them to say. They will methodically say that they keep the commandments of God by 'living a good moral life'.
Well one of the commandments is about not bearing false witness and most RCs in their posts do that in these forums. It is the eighth commandment in the RC commandment list and ninth in the non RC list.

Article 8

THE EIGHTH COMMANDMENT

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
It was said to the men of old, "You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn."

2464 The eighth commandment forbids misrepresenting the truth in our relations with others. This moral prescription flows from the vocation of the holy people to bear witness to their God who is the truth and wills the truth. Offenses against the truth express by word or deed a refusal to commit oneself to moral uprightness: they are fundamental infidelities to God and, in this sense, they undermine the foundations of the covenant.
from the catechism.

We see it when they twist our post to say things we didn't say, we see it when they make out we hate them, there are so many ways this commandment is broken. Also according to James (one of their favourite authors) if you break one commandment you break them all. I am sure they can come up with a rule as to why what they do is alright. I mean look at they way they cover up stealing and divorces.

James 2:10

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

WHEN WILL DING ANSWER.

You don't even clearly state your beliefs, so therefore no verses at all to support them. I have asked but you keep running away and do not stand up and clearly state:

a. What saves us?????
b. Give the scriptural supports for said beliefs????
c. Whose righteousness??????

WAITING, WAITING, WAITING

Post 667

Ding are the questions too hard, you say you answer questions. I have been waiting for days.

Days and days and days of WAITING.

When will ding answer and tell us all what saves???????????????????????????????//

WHEN WILL DING ANSWER.

You don't even clearly state your beliefs, so therefore no verses at all to support them. I have asked but you keep running away and do not stand up and clearly state:

a. What saves us?????

Post 667

Ding are the questions too hard, you say you answer questions. I have been waiting for days.

When will ding answer and tell us all what saves???????????????????????????????//
...... the continued silence from the chicken coop is deafening, isn't it? . . . . . .

...... the continued silence from the chicken coop is deafening, isn't it? . . . . . .
Yet the poster makes out they answer the questions. It is a simple question and one would think a vital part of the good news. I mean if they know what saves us they should say. Then whose righteousness, I mean it has to be someone's righteousness. They say it is not Jesus, scripture says it is not ours, so whose is it?

They constantly tell us we are wrong and fail to give us the correct answers according to them.

Believing is a gift; Phil 1:29
what is the gift but the grace for one to believe in Christ and to suffer like Him.
Robertson;

The work of God that ye believe (το εργον του θεου ινα πιστευητε). In 1Th 1:3 Paul speaks of "your work of faith" (υμων του εργου της πιστεως). So here Jesus terms belief in him as the work of God. These Jews were thinking of various deeds of the Pharisaic type and rules. Jesus turns their minds to the central fact. "This simple formula contains the complete solution of the relation of faith and works"

Salvation is a free gift, repentance is a gift, the ransom is paid for by Jesus. Jesus is just using terms the jews would recognize. Want to talk about works? Okay, just believe. Course catholics don't even apply this because they add to what Jesus said.
the bible says, eph2: 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Grace is what saves us, not faith nor works.
One cannot do anything without the free gift of God's grace
It is the grace of God that moves us to believe and repent.

Ding you seem to keep missing my post.

WHEN WILL DING ANSWER.

a. What saves us?????

Post 667

Matt 7:18

Ding you seem to keep missing my post.

WHEN WILL DING ANSWER.

a. What saves us?????

Post 667

Matt 7:18
Ignore-ance is bliss? ? Or does the ding consider silence to be an answer? ?

--Rich

Indeed. Dingaling is determined to insert the word "alone", then demand that others defend its insertion! (While simultaneously refusing to say what more than faith is needed.)
One-trick pony?

--Rich
Obviously Dingaling is revealing the fact that he must actually be a Roman Catholic Sadducee. I say this in making reference to Mark's Gospel where he records an incident in which certain Sadducees came to Jesus to question him. The Sadducees were that religious group of liberals in Jesus' day who rejected many of the teaching espoused by the more orthodox sect of the Pharisees. They did not believe in angels or in the resurrection of the dead. A number of these men came to Jesus to ask him a trick question about life after death. Jesus demolished their trick question but went on to say this: Is this not the reason you are mistaken that you do not understand the Scriptures, or the power of God? . . . But regarding the fact that the dead rise again, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush, how God spoke to him, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob'?He is not the God of the dead, but of the living; you are greatly mistaken. (Mark 12: 24,25-27)

Can you prove the eucharist is propitiatorial in nature, or do you just claim it with no evidence. The shed blood of Jesus is the only heavenly assigned agent of expiation. It is the blood on the cross not the blood in the cup which possesses salvific ability, Heb.9:22, Lev.17:11, Rom.3:25, Rev.1:5 When Jesus said this is my body and this is my blood He was speaking anachronistically not literally.
Amen Mack! The Roman Catholic doctrine of the mass was established at the Council of Trent, which affirmed, among other things, that it is, "a sacrifice of expiation. . . of sins and the punishment for sins . . . not merely for the living, but also for the poor souls in Purgatory." (Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma,pp. 412-413).
It is the Roman Catholic Church which thus teaches that Christ's sacrifice is renewed in the mass, and that each time the mass is said, this renewing of His sacrifice adds a bit of merit that can count toward one's salvation. When the mass is said for the dead, it is supposed to reduce by an unknown amount, the time they must suffer in purgatory for their sins.

Back