What is the salvific effect of today's Mass?

Yeah except you don't understand what is meant by "memorial."

A "memorial" in the Biblical sense does not just mean "Come together, do these ritual actions and in so doing call to mind what Christ did."

In the Biblical sense, "memorial" means "Come together, do these ritual actions and in so doing, the reality to which they point is made present."
Uhhhh, no! You are, as always, trying to fit scripture to your accursed religion. Won't work!

But how do you regard your own sins today? Do you believe that they are the reason for His horrific death on the Cross? Aren't our sins today just as much culpable as the sins of people prior to the Crucifixion? Surely that gives the best motive for revisiting the Cross in sorrow and regret?
You can visit it every 10 minutes, but if you deny what Jesus did on the cross, what good will it do?

I'm not into mysticism.
If you can recite the Creed authentically then you believe they are mystical truths.

1 Cor 2 Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

The words of Jesus disagrees with you. Jesus said, "...this is my blood...this is my blood of the covenant..." The bread is his body and the wine is his blood of the covenant.
The words of Jesus disagree with you.
Have you ever studied the Jewish Passover memorial to understand the ways in which God allows us to commune with Him and the saints? If not, I'd suggest doing so. The Passover is a zecher (memorial) which is a communion with the ancestors. The seder is a prelude to reliving the events of the original Passover.

In Christianity that memorial is called anamnesis which is the same God filled 'space'. A prelude to reliving and communing with our brother Christ.

I think the problem is that many nonCC's think of anything that can't fit the secular understanding of life, is just pagan.

Edit to add a good source of explanation of the memorial sacrifices.

So you linked to a non Jewish site explains a lot about why RCs do not really understand Jewish traditions and thinking. Especially the blessings.

@PeanutGallery has every right to reject all forms of mysticism. As balshan has often noted, that the rcc opts for an experience of God that goes beyond the restraints of Scripture. There is a danger in emphasising experience over Scripture. I don't doubt there are other religious groups that practice a form of so called "christian mysticism". Even so, that does not make the practice safe or even acceptable.

The so called "christian mysticism" promotes rituals and routines, which are designed to create within a person a emotional state, that is followed by mystical practices of prayer and worship. There is pomp, ceremony, candles, recited prayers, use of the rosary, prayer ropes, Stations of the Cross, icons, crucifixes, incense, chants, etc....

All of these things prey upon human emotions to give a mystical feeling of closeness to God. But in reality, they usurp God's written word as the means of knowing God. We stand on Scripture alone, as the revelation of God, and His will for our lives. The revelation of Him and His will is all laid out in Scripture.

Only God decides what is and is not righteous and He reveals this through Scripture, not the experience of those who have a false humility in worshiping something other than God Himself, nor in those who claim new revelation from God. Jesus Christ is sufficient, so do not allow anyone to intimidate you by their claims of spirituality based in anything other than in knowing God through Scripture.

If you can recite the Creed authentically then you believe they are mystical truths.

1 Cor 2 Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
You know there is a difference between your mysticism and God's spiritual revelation to the apostles, right?

List them! And tell us HOW we misinterpret them. Then give us your interpretation of them. Put up or shut up! Oh I forget, your religion doesn't allow you to think for yourself. You MUST believe, with docility, whatever swill your leaders regurgitate.
You have a Bible don't you? I am sure you have several Bibles, actually.

Go read them. All of the verses in your Bible----are what you misinterpret. Even the verses you interpret correctly are misinterpreted!

You have a Bible don't you? I am sure you have several Bibles, actually.

Go read them. All of the verses in your Bible----are what you misinterpret. Even the verses you interpret correctly are misinterpreted!
You have failed to prove that the poster has misinterpreted even one passage. Great apologetics from you. Yet you have been shown over and over again the misinterpretations of your leaders, the don't even meet the scriptural requirements for leaders. You just follow man.

@PeanutGallery has every right to reject all forms of mysticism. As balshan has often noted, that the rcc opts for an experience of God that goes beyond the restraints of Scripture. There is a danger in emphasising experience over Scripture. I don't doubt there are other religious groups that practice a form of so called "christian mysticism". Even so, that does not make the practice safe or even acceptable.

The so called "christian mysticism" promotes rituals and routines, which are designed to create within a person a emotional state, that is followed by mystical practices of prayer and worship. There is pomp, ceremony, candles, recited prayers, use of the rosary, prayer ropes, Stations of the Cross, icons, crucifixes, incense, chants, etc....

All of these things prey upon human emotions to give a mystical feeling of closeness to God. But in reality, they usurp God's written word as the means of knowing God. We stand on Scripture alone, as the revelation of God, and His will for our lives. The revelation of Him and His will is all laid out in Scripture.

Only God decides what is and is not righteous and He reveals this through Scripture, not the experience of those who have a false humility in worshiping something other than God Himself, nor in those who claim new revelation from God. Jesus Christ is sufficient, so do not allow anyone to intimidate you by their claims of spirituality based in anything other than in knowing God through Scripture.
You know there is a difference between your mysticism and God's spiritual revelation to the apostles, right?
I wasn't particularly referencing mysticism although by faith we all enter into the mystical truths God revealed to the Jews and that Jesus taught us in person. I think it gives atheists great motivation against religion when you reject its fundamental mystery.

Unless you believe by mental assent only without giving your whole being over by faith to the mysteries, you are entering into the mystical union with Christ.

I wasn't particularly referencing mysticism although by faith we all enter into the mystical truths God revealed to the Jews and that Jesus taught us in person. I think it gives atheists great motivation against religion when you reject its fundamental mystery.

Unless you believe by mental assent only without giving your whole being over by faith to the mysteries, you are entering into the mystical union with Christ.
word salad again.

Is 'mystical' associated with 'gnosticism'?

Is 'mystical' associated with 'gnosticism'?
The gnostics claim a form of gnosis (esoteric knowledge) that supersedes Christ. They don't obey or conform to the authority of the Christian community. Christian mystics on the other hand submit to the authority of the Church.

You have failed to prove that the poster has misinterpreted even one passage. Great apologetics from you. Yet you have been shown over and over again the misinterpretations of your leaders, the don't even meet the scriptural requirements for leaders. You just follow man.
You cannot recognize facetiousness when you see it?

Back