What is Truth?

rossum

Uh...... when did you think the Hebrew people came into existence?
Good point. I'll rephrase the question: Did the people of Noah's time have 100% accurate pregnancy tests that worked within days of a woman becoming pregnant?

hmmmm ..... have you ever actually read the Bible?
Most of it. I tend not to bother with those list of begats, which are not that interesting.

ah, so your ignoring the written narrative gives you permission to ignore what you don't want to consider?
Where in the written narrative does it say that no women were pregnant at the time of the flood? At most it tells us that none of the four women on the ark were pregnant -- "eight souls".

SteveB

Good point. I'll rephrase the question: Did the people of Noah's time have 100% accurate pregnancy tests that worked within days of a woman becoming pregnant?
I have no idea. The bible doesn't say anything about such technology.
I'm thinking however that failure of the menstrual cycle, a bulging belly, the apparently normal sicknesses that are part of pregnancy today might tell whether or not a woman is pregnant.

Ironically the bible says nothing about such things back then.
Do you have evidence that there were pregnant women then? Or are you simply assuming that?

Genesis 6 was quite clear that the thoughts and intents of their hearts were only continually evil.
And as the definition of evil is further developed later in the subsequent books of the law, and then Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be in the days before the coming of the Son of Man, I'm not bothered with the view I espouse that there were no pregnant women who were drowned in the flood.
God gave the human race 120 years to turn to him from their sin and we read nothing about them doing so, and we do read later in Genesis, regarding the judgment of Sodom and Gomorah, that God would not have judged the righteous with the wicked, but would have spared both cities had there been as little as 10 righteous people in just one of those cities. Genesis 18, specifically verse 32.

Most of it. I tend not to bother with those list of begats, which are not that interesting.
Ironically, there are many good pieces mingled together with those begats.

Where in the written narrative does it say that no women were pregnant at the time of the flood? At most it tells us that none of the four women on the ark were pregnant -- "eight souls".
At least it is completely silent on the matter of pregnancy.
Considering however that pregnancy was part of the good of the human race and Genesis 6:5 is crystal clear that the thoughts and intents of their hearts of the human race were only continually evil, and God was clear in Genesis 18:32 he'd have spared the cities of sodom and gomorah for as few as 10 people who were righteous, and Jesus said that as things were in Noah's day, so it'd be in the days leading up to his return to establish the Kingdom of God on earth, I'm sufficiently satisfied that there were no pregnant women who were drowned.

I do however have a novel idea.
Build a time machine, travel back in time to before the flood and take a census. Perhaps even try to warn them that they are about to die from a cataclysmic disaster that will forever change the future of the human race.
Call it climate change, or whatever you want. The planet's surface was irreversibly changed. The atmospheric conditions were irreversibly altered.
The human race brought those events on themselves, without any concern about their children, their women, and given 120 years, they utterly refused to listen to the warnings given to them.

rossum

I'm thinking however that failure of the menstrual cycle, a bulging belly, the apparently normal sicknesses that are part of pregnancy today might tell whether or not a woman is pregnant.
They do, but they can take weeks to indicate a pregnancy. If a women gets pregnant in the middle of her cycle then it will be two weeks before she knows.

There were pregnant women on earth when the Flood came.

SteveB

They do, but they can take weeks to indicate a pregnancy. If a women gets pregnant in the middle of her cycle then it will be two weeks before she knows.

There were pregnant women on earth when the Flood came.
Well, as your entire argument is based entirely on your beliefs that you have a clue, but can provide nothing but your assumptions to support your biases and preconceptions, I'm comfortable with my previous comments that you have built a house on a foundation of sand, and when the truth comes crashing down in life's storms, you'll find out the hard way how wrong you have been.

So, I state it simply....

Whosoever shall call on the name of Jesus shall be saved.

When you decide what matters most to you, that's what you need to do.

rossum

Well, as your entire argument is based entirely on your beliefs that you have a clue, but can provide nothing but your assumptions to support your biases and preconceptions
Well, as your entire argument is based entirely on your beliefs that you have a clue, but can provide nothing but your assumptions to support your biases and preconceptions that no pregnant women were drowned in the flood...

SteveB

Well, as your entire argument is based entirely on your beliefs that you have a clue, but can provide nothing but your assumptions to support your biases and preconceptions that no pregnant women were drowned in the flood...
Are you a reader?
I.e., do you like to learn, and better understand your own beliefs, and those of others?

Whateverman

That which corresponds with reality
A stone isn't truth. A statement about something being a stone may be truth, though. God isn't truth, but the claim that he exists may be.

Truth only applies to statements and ideas, and whether they correspond with reality.